Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 01:55:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Test if a Lua table/variable/function exists?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Test if a Lua table/variable/function exists?  (Read 21717 times)
zjksldfjkr
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2010, 08:19:34 AM »

blah
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:46:43 PM by zjksldfjkr » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »

Goddamnit I got confused when you deleted your post and accidentally deleted my response.  Anyway.  Colon.

( a.b(cat) is shorthand for a:b(a,cat)  [edit: I got this the wrong way around. pay no attention to me])
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:10:46 PM by increpare » Logged
increpare
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:24:01 AM »

Oh god I am so confused  Cheesy  Let me know if something:whatever works.
Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:05:49 PM »

First off, increpare, you got those backwards! The colon : is syntax sugar, with a:b() being shorthand for a.b(a).

Next, as checking for a global is a table lookup, if you look for 'something.whatever', it is going to try to rawget(_G, 'something.whatever') which will fail (_G['something'] is a table, _G['something']['whatever'] is a function, but _G['something.whatever'] is nil)

In order to check if something.whatever exists by string, you'd need to tokenize on '.' and do table lookup for each piece individually. So 'a.b.c.d.e.f', would search _G for 'a', then with a on the stack, look for 'b' inside of that, then with b on the stack, look for 'c', and so on.

But, I recommend a better solution. First why do you need even to check existence? I'm assuming this is because you want to check if something 'exists' because you're actually referencing this data later in C code and invoking it or something. This is okay, but don't use strings for this purpose. Bad idea.

If the object is nil, it does not exist (any undefined variable is nil), see lua_isnil. Also you can verify Lua value types in C code. The Lua auxiliary library can help you with certain parts of the type checking, like luaL_checkudata. The other parts can be done through various lua_is*(...) checks or by lua_type. You don't need a function_exists helper.

If you need to keep a persistent reference to this data in C which lasts beyond whatever initial call needs this function, you still don't want strings. Instead have them pass their Lua object directly to your C functions, and use the Lua registry (special table located at the stack pseudoindex LUA_REGISTRYINDEX) to store any references you need to keep. See luaL_ref for storing registry entries, luaL_unref for removing them, and lua_rawgeti for retreiving that data back later.

Otherwise, there is no point in coding functions to do an existence check. Inside Lua scripts, the user can already very easily just check with a simple if my.magical.var.from.outer.space then ... end block to see if something exist (since if statements consider both false and nil as logically false, and any other values as logically true). If you need to check explicitly for type in Lua code, there's bad design somewhere, but you can do type(expr) and get a string for what type a value is.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

I suppose since there are rare cases you actually want to do this for other purposes, here's a Lua implementation of functionExists:
Code:
helper = {}
function helper.resolveName(name)
    local a = _G
    for key in string.gmatch(name, "([^%.]+)(%.?)") do
        print(key)
        if a[key] then
            a = a[key]
        else
            return nil
        end
    end