Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 03:09:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLocalisation
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Localisation  (Read 4314 times)
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 07:38:26 AM »

Animation can have decent unintentionally hilarious but usually nauseatingly atrocious dubbing
Fix'd

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »

But that's only a problem when the reader also knows the original language, right?  In which case, why would they be reading the subtitles?  And as for translations I would rather have a good replacement joke rather than have someone stop for a moment to explain a joke or to have something that makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't think so. Seldom the replacement jokes are as good and fit as well in the context as the original ones. I'm not from an english-speaking country and I have watched a good amount of movies both dubbed and subtitled. The quality drop in the dubs are very often evident when you experience the movie as it was intended originally. Besides, learning stuff from other cultures should be regarded as a benefit, not a flaw.
theworm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 03:58:15 AM »

I would love to see a direct translation of the original scripts for the Mario & Luigi + Paper Mario games to see how they compare to the actual English versions. The scripts for those games are some of the funniest I've read and I'd love to know what changes were made to translate the humour across.
jay
Level 0

Spray it, don't say it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 04:40:07 AM »

Animation can have decent unintentionally hilarious but usually nauseatingly atrocious dubbing
Fix'd
Rubbish. Might have been the case a decade ago, but there's plenty of good translations these days. Indeed, stuff like Black Lagoon sounds infinitely better when it isn't knee deep in american characters mumbling sloppy engrish.

And that's neglecting the fact that all animation is dubbed anyway.

Edit: that said, I certainly prefer subs in cases where more western voices or mannerisms just wouldn't suit the characters at all. And for films, of course. I just think it pays to keep an open mind with this stuff.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:29:33 AM by cheeba » Logged

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 05:55:36 AM »

I would love to see a direct translation of the original scripts for the Mario & Luigi + Paper Mario games to see how they compare to the actual English versions. The scripts for those games are some of the funniest I've read and I'd love to know what changes were made to translate the humour across.

I heard that Fawful's weird speech doesn't exist in the original version. Props to the localisation team, because it was one of the funniest things of Mario & Luigi.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 06:48:53 AM »

For animation, original dubbing and over-dubbed dubbing is worlds apart.
When taking into account how the mouth moves, the body-language and the pacing in the dialogue, it's almost always painfully obvious when something is over-dubbed.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »

To this day, I've known one cartoon that was dubbed so well that I could really enjoy the cartoon. There have been cases where the dubbing has been either so bad it's good or not annoying enough to prevent me from watching it, but the Moomin cartoon series were exceptionally well-dubbed in Finnish.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic