Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 02:16:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativePost mortems
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Post mortems  (Read 2454 times)
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:34:53 AM »

Hey guys and gals

I'm not really sure where this thread would go, please move if it belongs somewhere else. I'm just wondering, is there a thread going somewhere that lists post-mortems of games people have worked on? In particular games that were actually finished. I did a search and found a few post-mortems for several games but not a consolidated thread. Since I'm making my first game it would be really useful to see how others have fared.

Cheers

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 08:53:22 AM »

I'm totally with you G-Factor. I have read a few post-mortems here and there, and they all prove to be very useful, i learned a lot from them.
It would be great to have a list of post-mortems to check :D

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
njm1992
Level 0

Aaaaargh!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:45:12 AM »

When you say post-mortem of finished games, do you talk about some kind of summary of the work gone into finishing the game? Smiley
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 12:54:03 PM »

When you say post-mortem of finished games, do you talk about some kind of summary of the work gone into finishing the game? Smiley

Something like "this" i think.

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »

Exactly like that, but a thread with a LOT of post-mortems would be an incredibly valueable resource.

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 05:06:35 PM »

Agreed. I don't know how to help make it happen, but I'd like to see it happen. To my mind, postmortems are amongst the most powerful tools (perhaps THE most powerful tool) available to game developers to help them get better. It's pretty shocking to me that I've worked with developers who were arrogant enough to think they didn't need them, or too worried about hurting the feelings of the management team to allow any real lessons to be properly recorded and studied for future reference.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »

Perhaps a subforum in the Projects Community or Creative parent threads would be key for populating with this kind of thing; or at least a sticky-topic there for linking them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:16:12 PM by baconman » Logged

radioact1ve
Level 0

What?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »

This would be interesting indeed. I'm assuming post-mortems of games all shapes and sizes are good to go, right?

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 07:32:08 PM »

I'd definitely encourage games of all sizes. It might also be worth it to also  have a separate thread for 'Projects that didn't work out', but for now I'm much more interested in completed projects. Things as simple as size of team and length of development will help people set more accurate goals, and give those MMO dreamers something to think about  Cheesy 

Railos
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 10:06:28 PM »

Just came across a site with post-mortems for a variety of games developed by students from different schools: http://www.gamecareerguide.com/postmortems/

Currently working on: Melogalactic

I am a artist, game developer, and beta tester.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 11:47:16 AM »

Hell yeah! We have the feedback forum for giving feedback to works in progress. It would be great to have a thread (or a whole forum?) dedicated to people coming back and telling us what went right/wrong and what they've learned from their finished projects.

Excellent idea! Beer!

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »

I suggest creating a thread within Design purely for amassing post-mortens and for people to post their own.

I may do it myself eventually if someone around here isn't up to it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 03:12:28 PM »

Might be cool if someone who has just finished a project can kick start this thread. Otherwise I will, but won't be able to contribute myself since I haven't finished anything yet.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic