Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:17:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)XRhodes thread [v1.9.1 is released]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: XRhodes thread [v1.9.1 is released]  (Read 27268 times)
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »

resurrecting thread -- 3, 2, 1.

the project is much alive and active and the framework was tested and refined in all this time. there is actually a documentation project in progress, which has just fallen back a bit behind the codebase.

for those who are interested, here's a quick summary of what had changed since May:
- revamped parallax scroll support (Projector)
- shader (GLSL) encapsulation / support
- the previously used list of strings serialization format has been replaced by a key-value based serialization format (XRSF); naturally, XRhodes' internal data types fully support this. there are tools for SAX and DOM style parsing of XRSF.
- Slicer: tool for processing spritesheets
- Skeleton: generic application skeleton that helps timing your application states' functionality (think Update / Render) - the StateManager has been revamped too.
- the Polynomial class is complete with polynomial interpolation (fitting over a set of points).
- SpatialHasher: helps optimizing collision detection and rendering (in progress).
- parallel to the documentation some other enhancements were put in place (debugging, inlining, streamlining)
- we've got a mailing list
- how could I forget: the codebase has been turned into a static library.

and for now, an even quicker screenshot about the SpatialHasher:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:41:24 PM by György Straub » Logged

raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »

Is there a download anywhere? I'm having a hard time finding it.. then again it's late Smiley

I'm interested to see how you're handling collision, swept collision and multiple collisions/penetration is tricky.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »

Is there a download anywhere? I'm having a hard time finding it.. then again it's late Smiley
it's not late, it's way too early... for a download.=)

I'm interested to see how you're handling collision, swept collision and multiple collisions/penetration is tricky.
XRhodes' Collider2D is capable of Separating Axes Theorem-based collision testing of n-sided convex shapes / circles; it provides methods for static and swept volume testing. Sadly it's only 2D.

As for handling, I'll leave that open. It varies from game to game and one of the design goals with XRhodes is to leave it flexible and generic. (As for multiple collisions, however it's a bit off, I'd give the objects a collisionResult (vector) member, where the results of the collisions with other objects during the given timeframe will get summed up - they are supposed to happen at the same time (~cycle), right? then I just add it to the velocity in the next cycle and reset it. No, I've got no clue how it looks in practice.)

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »

bump. XRhodes is exiting vaporware status in 3-2-1.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2010, 10:18:36 AM »

Hey, György! So you finally managed to push this out of the door? Congrats! The site is looking spiffy too. (Your link is broken though.) The feature list on this thing is looking quite impressive. Now, if there was a Lua (or other scripting language) interface... :p I'm not shopping for an engine right now I'm afraid, got my hands full with my own library project right now, but I'll certainly keep this thing in the back of my head.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 02:33:16 PM »

Link? Your sig one leads to this thread...

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 04:05:02 PM »

Hey, György! So you finally managed to push this out of the door? Congrats! The site is looking spiffy too. (Your link is broken though.) The feature list on this thing is looking quite impressive. Now, if there was a Lua (or other scripting language) interface... :p I'm not shopping for an engine right now I'm afraid, got my hands full with my own library project right now, but I'll certainly keep this thing in the back of my head.

Hey, Clemens!=) Yeah, unbelievable as it is (it is for me), it's out in the public now. Thanks for the congrats! Actually, just as of this morning, I started pondering a scripting feature (however simple), based on the framework's very own serialisation format. It's weird, but I'm fascinated enough about it, and will probably blather on about it when I got over the shock of giving birth.=D

Link? Your sig one leads to this thread...
Hey, Mikademus!=) It's the one in the threadhead. I've fixed it now though.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 12:38:59 AM »

From what I see it looks quite nice! Could I ask you to complete one or a few simple tutorials (that section of the site is empty atm) - that would really help with getting a picture of the system! It doesn't have to be anything fancy, perhaps just something as simple as moving a sprite or something...

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Kekskiller
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »

Congrats Györgi, I would love to try it some day. A shame it's only for win and mac, Linux development is much easier to handle Smiley . Which GCC version did you use? You better try a newer gcc version like 4.4.1. Got some errors during compilation.

Also, the documentation link doesn't work for me (maybe I missed something?).
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2010, 11:03:07 AM »

From what I see it looks quite nice! Could I ask you to complete one or a few simple tutorials (that section of the site is empty atm) - that would really help with getting a picture of the system! It doesn't have to be anything fancy, perhaps just something as simple as moving a sprite or something...
The first one is done. It really is simple, initialisation + some basic drawing. In the next one we'll do textures, sprites and use the slicer. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time lately, but I'm on holiday the next two weeks, so I hope to get some tutorials done.

Congrats Györgi, I would love to try it some day. A shame it's only for win and mac, Linux development is much easier to handle Smiley . Which GCC version did you use? You better try a newer gcc version like 4.4.1. Got some errors during compilation.

Also, the documentation link doesn't work for me (maybe I missed something?).
Hey Keks, thanks!

A Linux version shouldn't be a problem, except I don't have access to a machine that has Linux + development environment installed. Let me know if you could and are willing to, build it.

Could you please clarify the building errors and the doc link problem? As for the building, you won't be able to build the framework as I didn't release the source. As for the links, all of them work for me.

Kekskiller
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 01:29:14 PM »

A Linux version shouldn't be a problem, except I don't have access to a machine that has Linux + development environment installed. Let me know if you could and are willing to, build it.

Of course, I'll inform you if I get this static lib build feature working on Code::Blocks. I don't want to do it all from command line Tongue

Could you please clarify the building errors and the doc link problem? As for the building, you won't be able to build the framework as I didn't release the source. As for the links, all of them work for me.

Don't wonder, I tend to try compiling everything even if it won't. Here is the log:
Code:
particles.hpp  161| error: conflicting declaration ‘Float r’
particles.hpp  161| error: ‘r’ has a previous declaration as ‘XR::EmitterRand::Type r’
particles.hpp  In member function ‘void XR::Emitter<_dimensions>::Update()’:
particles.hpp  403|  error: ‘remove_if’ is not a member of ‘std’
gridhasher.hpp 104|  error: ‘find_if’ is not a member of ‘std’
prototype.cpp  In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
prototype.cpp  27|  warning: unused variable ‘tCumulative’
||=== Build finished: 4 errors, 1 warnings ===|

GCC is a bit more pedantic now, you just used r twice in a prototype parameter. I can't say anything about remove_if and find_if except that it could be weird error due to not compiling as a project. So yeah, nothing spectacular Durr...?
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 03:00:41 AM »

Wild times. I haven't had a lot of time for XR recently (because of said holiday and other, less holidayey stuff Roll Eyes), but I've fixed some bugs and made some minor cosmetic changes. All should work as before, it's just all should work even better now. Version 0.81 is out.

Maybe I'll get some tutorials done soon. Also, I've kicked some spambot ass in the Nuclear Heart Studios forums.

Peace out.

@Keks: oh, okay man. You're one enthusiastic compiler(er), I gotta say.=) (I've fixed that itch in emitter.hpp, thank you!)

What's up with the static lib compiling feature with Code::Blocks Linux? I was kinda expecting it to be the same with the Windows version? More configuration ftw?

Kekskiller
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 08:10:24 AM »

Nah, I only had experience with compiling libs via console. Will check out the new version later.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 06:55:55 AM »

An ever so gingerly bump. v0.82 is released with some optimizations and added functionality. Mac OS X version later on today.

After finally getting Mercurial working, and having sufficiently cleansed the code of bugs, I have decided to open up XRhodes' source. It's happening shortly (faster than the framework itself anyway).

Hand Any KeyWizardHand Metal Right

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2010, 02:52:43 AM »

v0.83 is out for both supported platforms, the documentation is up to date, and there's a new tutorial on textures and sprites, and more is underway.

v0.84 and the opensourcing is happening very soon, too. No, really.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 01:01:32 AM »

New tutorial on slicers and some other stuff: here

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »

We're up to v0.84 with a plethora of things added and some things taken away (then some replaced), just to make for a cleaner library.

Mac OS X version is coming tomorrow, as well as something else.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2018, 01:38:27 PM »

Hey, how’s everyone doing? Wink

XRhodes has gone through a bit of a facelift, and is now available from github (link in signature and OP).

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2018, 03:43:38 PM »

Looks neat. Are there projects that use this yet?

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2018, 09:57:54 PM »

Hi GP.

Thanks for your interest. Games with XR —not as such.

I’ve made a few with previous versions of it of course, e.g. for TIGCompos/Jams. There’s also Robreed: Flippin’ Awesome. The dates are worth noting.Wink

I’m looking at updating Robreed to ‘modern’ XR, both for the sake of the exercise and as an additional test, and I intend to post about my progress. (Might start a new thread.)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic