Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411678 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 09:04:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1455272 times)
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: June 08, 2015, 06:03:22 AM »

Yeah, a few tweaks on the precise layout of rooms in relation to one-another would make it more readable, but otherwise it looks pretty complete. People have different navigational styles, so I think that two naming conventions might be useful. Personally I navigate best by landmarks in general, so descriptive names like "weeping willow" are very useful to me. But some folks may find it easier to go by shape, while others might prefer a more grid-based layout so that they can go by directions (though this might be complicated if rooms aren't necessarily laid out on a perfect Cartesian plane).

All this said, it seems like many of the maps are going to be pretty thoroughly revised and expanded before final release (and possibly for the E3 build?) so I'm not certain how useful it'll be in the long run!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3921 on: June 08, 2015, 09:51:23 AM »

i love this, especially the descriptions. cheers hypeupdawg Toast Right

hypedupdawg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: June 08, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »

i love this, especially the descriptions. cheers hypeupdawg Toast Right

Glad you like it  Coffee

I don't want to hijack the dev thread too much, so if anyone else has any comments please PM me (thanks for the feedback so far!)

All this said, it seems like many of the maps are going to be pretty thoroughly revised and expanded before final release (and possibly for the E3 build?) so I'm not certain how useful it'll be in the long run!

The map is procedurally generated so it should be easy to feed it more data or change datasets/screenshots. Ideally I'd use the data in each level's .txt file to place them, but I haven't worked out how to read them yet...

@tortoiseandcrow I like that snap-to-grid idea, I'll look into that. If you have any landmarks you want put as names, just send them my way
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: June 09, 2015, 02:26:37 AM »

@adge hi, welcome! Yeah those pillars are perfect  Shocked Protruding spirals is such a horribly complex shape, though... I might give it a try :D

Update 435

Secondary light and light oversaturation:

Quite happy with how the bounce-off light brings out the depth in the room  Smiley

Also, have I mentioned that I've been developing this snazzy dev interface?

The bounce-off light works by placing ambient light sources where the light hits. You can see that the lights are "environment" - this means that they will pick up their color from the environment they're placed on, and "Sun", this means that they understand to fade in and out with the sun.

Some lights are the same as the old light sources you've already seen, but some lights are "flat", which means that they're basically just a radial gradient rendered on top of everything looking a bit like a lens flare or a bloom effect. However they're rendered below the sunlight oversaturation shader, which makes for some interesting interactions.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: June 09, 2015, 02:46:33 AM »

x
Dang that's snazzy. Can you keep all/some of the Dev tools in the alpha? It's fun to mess with Tongue

Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: June 09, 2015, 04:39:30 AM »

@adge hi, welcome! Yeah those pillars are perfect  Shocked Protruding spirals is such a horribly complex shape, though... I might give it a try :D
You'd be best off modelling it in 3D and rendering a depth map, I think.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3926 on: June 09, 2015, 03:18:32 PM »

Hey James/Joar, not sure if you're aware of this, but Rain World is in the New Releases section on Steam, labeled as "Coming Soon"
http://store.steampowered.com/app/312520/
Seems like an error on Valve's part

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: June 09, 2015, 03:40:55 PM »

I noticed that before and was going to post here saying that but I diddn't think it was a fluke.. I was just hoping Smiley

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3928 on: June 09, 2015, 11:26:44 PM »

ah! yeah the rain world email has been going nuts because of it. as far as we (and adult swim) know, its just randomly there?

not entirely incorrect though; it is "coming soon", relatively speaking, for instance, compared to the heat death of the universe etc etc. gabe is just playing the long game

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: June 10, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »

Update 436

A flare ... fruit? thing that you might get your hands on in the dark regions.

These have the benefit of allowing you to get a split second of vision on a frustrating dark room, and can also be used offensively. Deep dwellers that are shy of light are obviously not going to be big fans, and also I think it could be fun if ordinary creatures such as lizards could be rendered blind temporarily or permanently.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: June 10, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »

goddamit Joar...

Not sure what else to say, other than: Yes to the blindness...

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3931 on: June 10, 2015, 10:22:01 AM »

I think the dark region might be my favorite so far purely for the lighting and shadow effects. They're so good

If a lizard is blind, would it just thrash around helplessly or would it still use sound of movement to track you?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: June 10, 2015, 11:11:55 AM »

I don't want to spam your developer blog but I took some time and thought you could use it if I manage to export it correct.
I'm not really a 3D modeler so I don't really know how to make this small rounded forms at the upper end of the pillar, which
seem to be the most important look to fit to rain worlds levels.
I don't know how to make normal maps. Anyway it isn't finished yet. There are currently two versions. Tell me what you think.

https://vine.co/v/eOg6wBtDIJ6

Edit: Managed to export and import to Blender. From there anything should be possible Wink
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:36:46 PM by adge » Logged
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3933 on: June 10, 2015, 03:19:50 PM »

it is "coming soon", relatively speaking, for instance, compared to the heat death of the universe etc etc. gabe is just playing the long game

Haha, you dork

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3934 on: June 10, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »

Just noticed the cool little detail in that GIF of the slugcar closing its eyes and then blinking a few times once the light fades

Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: June 11, 2015, 04:21:29 AM »

I don't want to spam your developer blog but I took some time and thought you could use it if I manage to export it correct.
I'm not really a 3D modeler so I don't really know how to make this small rounded forms at the upper end of the pillar, which
seem to be the most important look to fit to rain worlds levels.
I don't know how to make normal maps. Anyway it isn't finished yet. There are currently two versions. Tell me what you think.

https://vine.co/v/eOg6wBtDIJ6

Edit: Managed to export and import to Blender. From there anything should be possible Wink
Dude... umm... this is a 2D game. Look at the last gif closely - you can see layers on the floor. I guess that's a good compliment to the visual design, though.

Also, you filmed your screen and posted it to vine? That's really odd choice of sharing a 3d model. You could make a gif or use p3din.
Update 436

A flare ... fruit? thing that you might get your hands on in the dark regions.

These have the benefit of allowing you to get a split second of vision on a frustrating dark room, and can also be used offensively. Deep dwellers that are shy of light are obviously not going to be big fans, and also I think it could be fun if ordinary creatures such as lizards could be rendered blind temporarily or permanently.
The flash looks like welding, so I guess it's based on electricity somehow. Could it be used to temporary disable shortcuts? Also, it should be not only bright, but also hot, making it useful as a weapon even in lit regions. And it may stick to metal too. So many possibilities...
adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: June 11, 2015, 04:48:20 AM »

A 3D model projected on a surface becomes? Very 2D.
You could also model every level in 3D slice them at different depths and then project them on a surface.

Same with the pillar. You could slice it to 30 layers...logically only to the half. You know that every 3D game
uses 2D normal map textures in order to create realistic surfaces and to save processing power, memory....?

Once you have the 3D model you can create anything out of it. Make 2D images, normal maps.....

And don't bother the way I post my stuff. Quick Time player does not work on a simulated system using Parallels
and I only use it for construction and FEM calculations so the easiest way to record it with not installing any
shitty recording software was vine.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:50:20 AM by adge » Logged
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: June 11, 2015, 09:46:04 AM »

That looks incredible! I can't wait to see what sort of plant it grows on. And to see whatever horrible creatures lurk in these depths illuminated in a brief flash of light before you are plunged back into darkness.

I think that lizards should be temporarily blinded, and only if you hit them right in the face. Blindness should only be permanent if they can respond to sounds you make - even a blind lizard should still be dangerous in close quarters.

Can lizards see you from far away in the darkness, or is their vision limited to what is revealed by their bioluminescence?
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: June 11, 2015, 01:22:23 PM »

@adge, thanks a lot :D I'll try to make something inspired by that next time I get around to making assets. The resolution will be a problem so I'll probably have to go pretty big. We have a region planned with some more tribal stuff, where I think some big columns etc would fit right in.

@Teod, I think of it as a chemical fire/light emission, similar to when you put flame to magnesium or something. But again, cartoon world  Wink

@tortoiseandcrow, when I implement enemy hearing I will also give their vision some tuning and combine those into a little Stealth Push. Right now vision is entirely binary - for a creature with a limited cone of vision it does that dot product check, some creatures have a distance cap, and then it checks if there's terrain in the way - but all of these are either YES or NO and it needs all YES's to get a visual. My idea for what I want to happen in the future is that a bunch of conditions will be considered as floats and combined. Such conditions could be camouflage, muddy water, and darkness. The factors should be able to interact (by multiplication or subtraction) so that you could stay hidden more easily if you're smart about it.
ofx360
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: June 11, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »

Man, these dark areas has been a visual treat for me! Love what you guys are doing  Kiss
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic