Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 03:34:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Engine help (code inside)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Engine help (code inside)  (Read 3739 times)
st33d
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 02:21:20 PM »

You could try a ball against the slope instead of a rectangle. It's working for me currently, but I'm doing a sliding game.
Zaphos
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 03:02:28 PM »

Since the c++ faq lite can be a bit silly at times, it might be fun to also read the c++ fqa lite's take:
[2] http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/ref.html#fqa-8.6
[4] http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/ctors.html#fqa-10.6

(I wouldn't suggest worrying too much about programming style, though!)
jmp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 03:21:52 PM »

Quote from: Zaphos
Since the c++ faq lite can be a bit silly at times, it might be fun to also read the c++ fqa lite's take:

Fun, yes. But I for one would not take C++ advice from a self-proclaimed C++ hater.
Zaphos
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »

I just mean to say timtowtdi -- there's some reasonable advice in the fqa though, and some questionable advice in the faq.  I would take advice from anyone who says reasonable things, and the fqa does that ... I tend to lean towards the proper faq's opinions on references and initializer lists, but it's good to see the fqa's caveats in addition to the faq's rules of thumb.  (The fqa is increasingly entertaining the more obnoxious the faq gets -- the chapter on exceptions is particularly fun.)
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »

Another approach is to get everything working with just boxes initially, and go back and add slopes later. That way you can get everything stable, and then make adjustments and improvements later on. If they're a pain at present, I'd leave them out. You may not need them, or might feel more confident implementing them later.

Re special member prefixes (eg. "m_"), I'm in the "don't do it" camp, but to each their own. There are pros and cons. I can work with code that does it, or doesn't. Doesn't bother me that much.

I will slap any non-rookie developer who regularly embeds type information into variable names though. Wink
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic