Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 03:07:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 535640 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #900 on: October 29, 2012, 04:37:32 PM »

tho i guess bamco wouldn't fork over the cash for the necessary infrastructure.

You can't really blame Bamco too much. They were pretty straightforward and honest about a lot of stuff, like the resolution/framerate, control scheme, etc. and the early statement pre-protest about PC-porting DarkSouls being a bad, bad idea. But they did it for fans like you, and even you specifically. Knowing that the PC fanbase would be all about mods, trainers, world-building, and hacking the shit out of it with more than just the swords. And you all got it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was entirely possible to open a character/savegame and tailor it entirely to your liking with nothing more than Notepad, to any card-carrying member of actual gamedev here. But the game itself is also an ongoing experiment in honor as well - if given the opportunity to cheat or be cheap, which the devs state is totally fair game to them (ie: chinking is a valid tactic vs. the "ruthless" environment), how many will and how many won't?

So now, not only is it the world-shattering WRPG/Metroidvania/Fighting game we all know and love it for being, but now it's the near-ultimate freeform sandbox game too. :shrug:

Heavy chinking is mostly just a trendy phase, and it's fun now (because it's novel, and lots of people think they have the optimization down), but people will bore of that eventually. You'll always have *some* chinkers running around, that's about as invalid as using the Konami Code in Gradius III. But as time passes, you'll see the scales tip more towards it's origins again. I mean, people do Buster-Only Perfect Runs of MegaMan games, ffs.

It's like that part where in MvC2, everyone was obsessed with Dr. Doom and the Molecular Shield assist, before Magneto/Cable/Sentinel/Storm took over for 5 years. And now people are just fucking around with other characters and discovering even MORE tricks, like Gambit/Tron Bonne's damage scale resets.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: October 29, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »

im pretty sure the devs are not ok with people using trainers to grief in pvp unless they're really shitty people. the intentional exploits in the game are all singleplayer exploits.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #902 on: October 29, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »

But they did it for fans like you, and even you specifically.

I don't know why people keep saying dumb shit like this. they didn't release the pc port for the fans, they released it for the money.

if they truly cared about the fans and their experience they would have took the time to make a proper port. but that would have taken much more time and resources, they likely just wanted to do the least amount of work and push it out asap.

could hardly blame them, of course. after all it is a business.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 29, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »

the way i see it's a small miracle a "niche" game like this that is VERY MUCH designed for consoles even got a pc port. it's not like dark souls is some kind of mega blockbuster that would have warranted a complete reworking to pc specifications (besides even pc ports of mega blockbusters tend to be bad).

also the port itself is actually acceptable for what it is. if you have a gamepad and a decent pc, your experience is the exact same as the console version. it's not like they made it worse. there would probably be less backlash if they hadn't released a pc port at all which strikes me as kinda strange.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #904 on: October 29, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »

last i checked they still charge money for the pc version, so yes, it is their fault for not tailoring the pc release that they're charging money for for the....pc.  Your argument would hold if the pc version was given away for free if you purchased the xbox of ps3 versions but if theyy're going to charge for it, they can pay to port it properly...many other companies seem to do it just fine.

hell, from what i hear the hacking and character editing is nearly as bad on the xbox version as well anyways

As much as i love the game itself though even I have to say it's buggy as crap and could have used some serious QC, i mean, i regularly put down a summon sign and get glitch summoned in as a blue or red phantom, the fps dips and gets horribly laggy even on the console versions, things fall through the floor on a regular basis (particularly rats, i've seen it with the silver knights with the dragonslayer bows too though...and they can still shoot out from inside the wall!)  It's ridiculously hard to co-op with specific people, or duel a specific person, and half the time (even on ps3) a summon fails for no real reason.

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 29, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »

It's ridiculously hard to co-op with specific people
that's actually a designed mechanic lol. it's actually supposed to be impossible.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #906 on: October 29, 2012, 05:26:57 PM »

PC version looks better for me than console version, and i'm not running any texture mods besides buff icons and text sharpening.

also i'd call Dark Souls a breakout hit, perhaps evne a blockbuster. global sales were 2m in march (before PC). that's not call of duty levels but that's still a LOT more than you would expect for what is a relatively niche title. by comparison, demon's souls sold around 500k within the same amount of time.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 29, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »

that's not call of duty levels but that's still a LOT more than you would expect for what is a relatively niche title.
but that's what i meant. dark souls is a "cult hit" like shadow of the colossus or sth like that, not a triple a blockbuster.

also demon's souls was a ps3 exclusive and had an extremely awkward release schedule spread out over 2 years with a different publisher for each region, so that explains lower sales.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #908 on: October 29, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »

it's more than a cult hit. shadow of the colossus sold half as much as dark souls did. 500k-1m is a "cult hit"

i think it's safe to say that dark souls is just a regular ol' hit.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 29, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »

dude all i meant was it sold a lot for a "niche" game but isnt a mega blockbuster which you pretty much agreed with anyway so what are we even arguing about?
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #910 on: October 29, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »

poop is a color
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: October 30, 2012, 01:05:24 PM »

Finally defeated 4k. Lightning Uchi +4 really did make the difference.

Bandages
« Reply #912 on: October 30, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »

Cheesy
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #913 on: October 30, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »

After a lot of tries I killed the gargoyles and rang the first bell! Feeling confident I decided to try my luck with the Capra Demon and killed him without dying! Using a very cheap strategy but still... feeling even more confident I decided to go to the sewers without going to a bonfire first, wiped out all those frogs and got to that weird dragon and obviously died... 20.000 souls left there... but OK, I tought, it shouldn't be hard to get them back since there's plenty of space to dodge from the dragon attacks in that room, I just have to kill that damn wizard that was attacking me while I tried to fight the dragon!

So I went to the sewers again and stopped by the wizard first to kill him... and it killed me... and that's how I lost 20.000 souls...    Big Laff Big Laff Big Laff

Cry

IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: October 30, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »

Ya can cry when ya lose 120k at a time, chump. You think that's Dark Souls? You don't know dung about Dark Souls.

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #915 on: October 30, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »

don't lament 20k souls that much, it's a nothin amount at that point in the game, if you don't overlevel you'll be carryin around more souls than you could possibly have use for soon.  Heck even 120k...heh...i think my average losses when i screw up are around 500k souls and 50+ humanity...it's the humanity that sucks to lose more than the souls though.

If you're on ps3 i could come help you if you want, i have characters on a few different SL's that could help out in that area, depending on what SL you're at.

Just completed a run on the game at SL6 warrior (so no pyromancy EVER) myself, man that was a whole different ballgame...can't poise tank to cheap any bosses really because of the low hp....i also skipped the taurus demon and did the gargoyles after blighttown, sif and 4 kings just to make it interesting..it's absolutely amazing how much your perspective on this game changes as you learn more of the combat mechanics and get better with things like the parry timing....i had an easier time with most bosses at sl6 now than i did even at sl80 on my second run through the game.  It's pretty hilarious too since i still get invaded in the upper undead burgs since i never did the boss and the darkwraiths there don't seem to expect anyone to be equilly geared with them, so they're pretty easy kills...most people who ACTUALLY know how to pvp don't seem to start invading until the lower burgs and depths.

I absolutely love the pvp in this game, once you know what you're doing the cheap backstabs and such are pretty much a non-issue anymore, a backstab only occurs when one of the two people doesnt know what he's doing or makes a huge mistake...doesnt even oneshot you anymore now that the hornet's ring is nerfed so those that rely on the 1hk backstab are pretty much useless now...most fights end with a normal hit or a dash strike....and the leo ring is a FAR greater thing to fear than the hornets.  I've made it a hobby to invade in the forest and kill off the guys hanging out with summons to gank invading blues....somethin about killing a guy in a solid gold fatsuit while outnumbered just feels good every time Tongue

-Fuzzy Spider
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #916 on: October 31, 2012, 03:44:19 AM »

Yeah... the game makes you feel confident and empowered in a minute just to kick you in the balls in the next one. That's hard to design for!

And for some reason I can't stop playing!

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #917 on: November 04, 2012, 03:03:28 AM »

^lol

Defeated Seath and ventured into DLC. Sanctuary Guardian was easier than I had heard. Pyromancy was rather effective. But Artorias... He slaughters me before I can do much at all  Crazy He evades my pyromancy and is immune to magic. His attacks do a lot of damage and are hard to evade. I have to think up a strategy for him. I could equip Darkwood grain ring but I'd have to use Xanthous armor which has worse defense than Elite knight set.

Perhaps I should forget pyromancy and instead equip Lightning Uchi and some supportive spells. Hmm...

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #918 on: November 04, 2012, 04:02:24 AM »

i dunno if it's just because i've played the game to death and been pvping a lot but i thought the dlc areas/bosses were all pretty easy, or maybe just my playstyle (super light armor, fast weapons) just happened to be the weakness of all of them. Only one i died to was the sanctuary guardian, untill i realized every time he charges you just roll to the side and he gets stunned for a good 5 secs!  Second try i was able to do it without even taking damage.

I didn't look anything up or watch any videos of these areas/bosses until after i did them though so i completely missed the pendant that deflects dark for manus.  honestly i think my tactic was better anyways, just keep rolling while the stuff is falling and you take no damage.  Also he's the only boss i can even think of that all of this normal attacks you take no damage when blocking

They get a lot more challenging on NG+ though, seems all the dlc bosses are considerably FASTER and not just stronger in NG+, the manus fight is intense and awesome.

-Fuzzy Spider
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 04, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »

^lol

Defeated Seath and ventured into DLC. Sanctuary Guardian was easier than I had heard. Pyromancy was rather effective. But Artorias... He slaughters me before I can do much at all  Crazy He evades my pyromancy and is immune to magic. His attacks do a lot of damage and are hard to evade. I have to think up a strategy for him. I could equip Darkwood grain ring but I'd have to use Xanthous armor which has worse defense than Elite knight set.

Perhaps I should forget pyromancy and instead equip Lightning Uchi and some supportive spells. Hmm...

you basically have to dodge his attacks. there isn't anything that hurts him much. he has high resistances against pretty much everything.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic