Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411563 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 02:46:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDigging deeper into mining games...
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Digging deeper into mining games...  (Read 2880 times)
jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »

I think if you tried really hard with a leaders board, it might be able to do something similar. Like, if you found a second player (p2) that commits a similar amount of time to the game as the first player (p1), maybe you could start doing various things to pit the two against each other. Like, "p2 gains x resource every 5 mins on average, how much do YOU gain?" And every time you pick up a resource or do something or reach a new level, it could say "you made it to level 6 BEFORE p2!" Or whatever etc. etc. It's more code, but as long as you're keeping a database of player information, it doesn't seem a lot more complicated than a standard high scores table.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 05:57:13 AM »

One thing about mining games that a lot of them seem to have in common: TREASURE-HUNTING!! I mean, focus on the aspects that matter first (the thicker terrain, orbital drill, stuff like that), but in the end there should be a few sites that are generated for the pure spectacle of discovering something fantastic (and highly valuable in scoring).

In fact, a dozen or so sites like that, where the game only generates 3-4 of them will give a lot more replay/grinding value, especially if there's any method to their madness (like a few with a prerequisite to scoring the "real" treasure there), and then simply giving the players enough time to discover it.

Mining Game's greatest setback right now is also what seperates it from it's competition the most - the timer pressure. And honestly, one thing I think that could benefit the game more than anything, especially with that pressure involved - either forget about returning to the surface, or offer a full recharge for doing so successfully.

That said, now I'm kinda torn between whether or not to consider adding a mining/crafting subgame to my main project. On one hand, they're pretty fairly taxing to create, but on another, they're proving to be quite a fruitful and valid form of 2D gaming, and my project IS aimed at capturing much of enjoyable 2D gaming as a whole.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic