Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411570 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:14:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWould you play a fantasy game w/o a human race?
Poll
Question: Would you play a fantasy game without a 'human' race?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Would you play a fantasy game w/o a human race?  (Read 5571 times)
im9today
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 01:16:11 AM »

no. never. playing as anything but human is a rejection of god's plan

you are human. accept that
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 01:28:43 AM »

I think this has been touched on, but humans with pointy ears that don't die of old age are kind of cop-outs when talking about non-human fantasy creatures. Give me a dragon, a space whale, and a living mountain as playable characters. Maybe throw in a ghost galleon for good measure. There aren't nearly enough games that give us the possibility to control creatures much bigger than we are.

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2011, 02:49:17 AM »

I think this has been touched on, but humans with pointy ears that don't die of old age are kind of cop-outs when talking about non-human fantasy creatures. Give me a dragon, a space whale, and a living mountain as playable characters. Maybe throw in a ghost galleon for good measure. There aren't nearly enough games that give us the possibility to control creatures much bigger than we are.

if only there was a game where we could play as one of these :D

I find it interesting that a bunch of people have said that they would be fine playing as a non-human thing UNLESS it was in the context of an MMORPG or other online game, I find that i have the same tendency, whenever the context to choose/create a character that represents me, or is my avatar, I always want it to be a human male, and being an elf or orc never appeals to me. But like most of you have said, i would gladly play a single-player game without humans in it.

Can you guys think why we always want to play as a human in multiplayer games? If WoW didn't have humans, do you think it would still be such a big hit?

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2011, 02:54:56 AM »

I think there is a larger drive to play as a human in MMO's and the like because we are tied to that character. Since we know that we won't get tired of playing as a human, it's the obvious choice over the long term. It could also be because that character is more of an extension of yourself versus a singleplayer game, where you are more likely to be following a story.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2011, 04:52:32 AM »

Otherwise the player may feel like they are being flung into a foreign world.
Which can be a GOOD thing.
But sometimes it's very bad, like when the game gives you the impression it's designed only for furry and otherkins. Or when the setting is really too alien and you can't really care for the story (for example:abe's oddyssey).

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »

Can you guys think why we always want to play as a human in multiplayer games? If WoW didn't have humans, do you think it would still be such a big hit?
You wanted to say why YOU always want to play as a human right? There's a lot of people who don't want to play as a human. I for example plan to play as Charr/Norn or something in GW2 when it comes out, definitely not human.

Also in WoW, I doubt that most of the Alliance players play as human.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »

in my experience playing WoW humans seemed very rare, yeah

InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »

Humans are usually only picked by the softcore gamers since they are the most balanced class and don't take long to figure out.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »

Why play as human when you have so many beautiful races to choose from. You're human in every other game so playing as not-human is definitely interesting...
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »

YES! Oh so much yes...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2011, 10:12:51 AM »

Nope... I always play as human...

Human necromancers for the win  Coffee

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »

I personally would love to see some stats on how often players choose a human avatar when given the option; are there any places that collect this kind of data?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 11:56:46 AM »

Not necessarily data, but IIRC, Blizzard added blood elves as a playable race to WoW to get more people to play horde. The horde didn't have any human-looking races at the time (orcs were probably closest) and was much less popular than the alliance, which featured humans and several other very-close-to-human races (dwarves are fat midgets, gnomes are skinny midgets.) Wink
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »

IMO at least on unofficial servers Horde is more popular...
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 02:04:52 PM »

No idea, I stopped playing before Burning Crusade came out, but at the time alliance was king (I played on official servers). There was also the general cliche that horde players were more mature and alliance players were dumb kids and douchebags.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:11:27 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2011, 12:03:46 AM »

YES! Oh so much yes...

Umm well thats good example of non-human character which is totally cliche human character. It seems like it is giant however, which is interesting yes. But it is still basically only human. There is nothing special in any part of that character that makes it alien. Posture, stance, gear, everything makes it only human with lion mask. And I believe his philosophy is to defend good and fight the evil. Not sure, he might be a villain too. Then vice versa. True statement of bland imagination.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »

Try spore

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »

Just download the creature creator tho cuz the rest of the game is kinda lame.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic