Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411567 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:48:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLack of game ideas?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Lack of game ideas?  (Read 4480 times)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 02:30:37 AM »

I was hoping that y'all could talk about how your ideas originate. Is it just random inspiration? Is it from other games? Real life?

Sometimes I think about games I like or haved liked in the past, and want to make something similar. These are often very big games, so I focus down on one aspect instead and make that.

More frequently I think about game theory, interactivity, and probability models, and make a game to form an experiment. In particular, procedural generation models dependent on player interaction are the most fascinating. These are often my games that get finished, but they are generally raw and non-interesting enough(and nongraphical) that I have no intention of showing them. I've found that ludological approaches can invite a shitstorm of debate around these parts, so I'll say no more on that. Smiley

I have a huge file full of game ideas I have yet to play with, these are often more intimidating, "big" games that would actually be fun to play. Some of them do focus on gimmicks in established genres, like games you mention, and that's more a case of, "Here's an interesting gimmick, how can I fit it into a gam?"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:37:20 AM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic