Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:01:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesign.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: .  (Read 2533 times)
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 07:42:33 AM »

I feel that if your game has cannon fodder enemies in the first place, you're doing it wrong. Enemies are fought because they block your progress. The threat they pose should be enough of a reason to get rid of them.
That's not true. In platformers, enemies can be completely avoided. I believe only shoot em ups and beat em ups force you to fight enemies. In everything else, they are pretty much just obstacles.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 07:43:09 AM »

I don't think annoying enemies and small health bars are the way to go. He should be trying to inspire the players having a fun time dispatching enemies.

If enemies are "annoying" (threatening) and if there's a significant amount of risk posed in dispatching them, then there'll be tension and a desire to dispatch them, and the player will have fun trying to defeat them. Item grinding/killing enemies to get gold is not fun, it's boring. The problem with leveling systems in action games is that you're often either too weak and fighting regular enemies becomes tedious and drawn-out, or too strong and the game becomes boring since you can just bulldoze through enemies without needing to care about getting hit. The player shouldn't have to be the one who balances the game.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »

Good reason is that killing is been made fun.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 08:15:51 AM »

I don't think annoying enemies and small health bars are the way to go. He should be trying to inspire the players having a fun time dispatching enemies.

If enemies are "annoying" (threatening) and if there's a significant amount of risk posed in dispatching them, then there'll be tension and a desire to dispatch them, and the player will have fun trying to defeat them. Item grinding/killing enemies to get gold is not fun, it's boring. The problem with leveling systems in action games is that you're often either too weak and fighting regular enemies becomes tedious and drawn-out, or too strong and the game becomes boring since you can just bulldoze through enemies without needing to care about getting hit. The player shouldn't have to be the one who balances the game.
I meant annoying as in cheap. Being in a room filled with hard to avoid enemies that can kill you in a hit or two is annoying/cheap.

Once I think about it, he should be focusing on making them fun to kill. Also, powerups is a good way to go.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic