Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 04, 2024, 12:47:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSerious games don't need non-diegetic music
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Serious games don't need non-diegetic music  (Read 12093 times)
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »

I never understood players that play "realistic" games and whine about how they are not realistic. I tend to adapt into current level of tech. In 1991 or 92 I thought than Stunts 4D Driving was more real than reality. Okay I am not anymore saying that Battlefield 3 is more real than reality, but I could easily get the same enjoyment out of that similar way like from Stunts 20 years back. There are too sides, the objective analytic technical side, and then the experiencing side and these two do not relate. I can analyze realism levels, technology and the lacks of it easily, but at the next hour I can easily experience great immersive gaming.

Sure many todays games probably look and feel like shit in 50 years, but it doesn't meant that some of those couldn't still be good games. Even today, no single multiplayer game has surpassed Atari's original Outlaw. Okay maybe Ace of Spades  Kiss

But not yet single game which I think being serious, haven't proven me why they should play BGM into my ears.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »

I will agree that todays games can be immersive, but to me the imerersion seems to have little to do with the realism of a game.  I get immersed in books easily and there are no graphics.  I have never ever found sound to break the immersion for me.  I'm not sure why realism has such little effect on immersion but at least for me they are almost completely  independent.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic