Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:18:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralArticle on Rohrer
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: Article on Rohrer  (Read 21293 times)
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2008, 06:04:47 PM »

I mean, that's a bit like saying religion is a cultural idea. Obviously these things have an objective existence independent of humanity. Good thing I picked the right set of ideas and those just so happened to be the ideas of the culture I was born into!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »

It's almost as if it were actually conceived of by humans and did not possess an independent existence.
Isn't the entire point of applied mathematics that it has descriptive/predictive power though?

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2008, 06:10:11 PM »

And composing a proof of something is not a direct human influence?

By the way, I refuse to accept any novel as a piece of art because it's just one of the 60^1000000 or so possible configurations of letters.  All the author does is pick one of these, it already exists in the space of possibilities, that doesn't count as a creative effort in my opinion.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2008, 06:15:19 PM »

I think mathematics are art in the same way that a still life is art; a skillful description of an extant object (though in this case it's more of a behavior, but yes). I do agree that human influence is necessary for something to be artistic (art = artifice = artificial), but obviously that would include mathematical proofs, as they would not exist in their current form without their creators.
It's not really debatable whether that form matters; just as all poems about trees are not equal, all mathematical proofs of a particular property are not equal.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »

Isn't the entire point of applied mathematics that it has descriptive/predictive power though?

Yeah, and spooky predictive power at that, and all kinds of very unexpected elegance and interrelation.

The point is, though, the definition of an n-connected topological space was invented by a dude. Cauchy proved that the limit of a convergent sequence of continuous functions is continuous and it was considered true for many years even though there were known counter examples, just because mathematical rigour wasn't thought of in the same way then as it is now.

Math is very elegant and interesting, and the math we have describes a lot about the universe we live in, but it's ultimately constructed by people, and there may be new math in the future which describes other things better than we can understand now. Bertrand Russell wrote a bit about the idea, I think.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2008, 06:21:53 PM »

I completely agree I just thought that what you were saying before was a little misleading.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2008, 06:23:09 PM »

No, that's... pretty much in line with what I was saying before. Invented by people to describe the universe; not written into the universe.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2008, 06:24:17 PM »

But yes, while we're all in agreement I would like to say that brog is actually overestimating the number of likely novels by a significant margin, due to the relatively low entropy of English.

So novels are totally not art.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
increpare
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2008, 06:26:12 PM »

Bertrand Russell wrote a bit about the idea, I think.
That's something of a catch-all statement; you could probably put it in your signature and nobody would think it out of place in any particular context Wink

(I haven't read much of Russell on maths in general, beyond the introduction to the principia (which is a delight, to be sure).  Lakatos is about as far as I've gotten, alas).
PaleFox
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2008, 07:30:09 PM »

Math is as much an art as anything else - even if it is just a proof. There are many ways to prove something, and some are more picturesque than others (an elevator in space, for example, was used by Einstein). However, equations are also about beauty, or personal choice: is one way of stating it more aesthetic than another?

It's kind of like choosing which way to best portray a scene or still life, except it's the universe.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »

I didn't know about the ballerina, so I looked for the video. Wow, I can't see it rotating counter clockwise at all. Always clockwise. And I'm pretty sure that I'm mostly left brained (not in the neurological sense, but in the everyday sense), so there's that.

Corpus
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2008, 02:15:53 PM »

Sometimes I can make it switch direction at will, but other times, try as I might, it's locked in one direction of rotation.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2008, 03:20:23 PM »

The Ballerina/brainness is a pile of crap, but its a cool optical illusion, to switch, try looking at her feet.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Corpus
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »

Pile of crap? I think not, sir.

Looks like your experience with it was something of a... no brainer Cool
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2008, 04:28:37 PM »

As in, there isn't a connection between the hemisphere of the brain you use and how the ballerina twirls.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Zaphos
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2008, 04:33:47 PM »

I find if I cover up the ballerina and just look at her lower-most foot and its shadow, I can visualize that as oscillating back and forth instead of rotating.  If I then uncover the ballerina, she will be rotating to match whichever direction the foot was moving at that time ...
Corpus
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2008, 06:21:46 PM »

I must refute your claim with the greatest of vehemence, TeamQuiggan. Do you not know Science when you see it, sir? Gentleman

Interesting, Zapdos Smiley
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2008, 04:42:55 AM »

Gwaffaw! Do you dare challenge a man of science at which he is most proficient! When trolling the great googles, I found a blog, which, I'm sure you will note has SCIENCE in its title! Look upon and despair! Surely you could not stop such a stunning logical coup d'état!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2008, 04:50:37 AM »

All I can see when I look at the ballerina is boobies.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2008, 04:53:00 AM »

I managed to make it switch once. I could never do that after that, though. It's incredibly difficult.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic