Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:44:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralI think I've Stumbled Upon Rohrer's Dream Home (I like it too btw)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: I think I've Stumbled Upon Rohrer's Dream Home (I like it too btw)  (Read 3620 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:42:14 AM »

OK, so sorry to continue the discussion from the "article on Rohrer" thread, but this living-in-nature house is priceless.  I found it while doing research for a highly natural project I'm currently working on in studio:

http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm

Kiss Kiss Kiss
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:45:18 AM »

Hobbiton!

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:49:53 AM »

Main tools used: chainsaw, hammer and 1 inch chisel, little else really

I would've soooo wanted to see him digging out the hillside with the chainsaw :D

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:52:02 AM »

Haha, they even call it a Hobbit home on the site, and apparently that's one of the reasons people like it instead of immediately calling them hippies.  :D

Oh, and about the "main tools," go to the stuff about construction; they didn't actually dig out a hillside, they cleared an area and what looks like hillside is just dirt etc. on the roof of the house.  The house is just shaped to look like a hill.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:58:03 AM »

Haha, they even call it a Hobbit home on the site, and apparently that's one of the reasons people like it instead of immediately calling them hippies.  :D

Oh, and about the "main tools," go to the stuff about construction; they didn't actually dig out a hillside, they cleared an area and what looks like hillside is just dirt etc. on the roof of the house.  The house is just shaped to look like a hill.

Yeah, that is what I meant. My English vocabulary is not filled with building terms, sorry. My point still stands, though! That whole site wins the award for extreme over-simplification Smiley

Movius
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 05:32:31 AM »

I'm sure he'll be set upon the arrival of this "energy decent" he seems to fear.

Personally, I'm not a fan of water-borne parasites and rotten food. Also I wouldn't trust someone with his construction methods to install a compost toilet.

But thats just me.
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 06:05:45 AM »

I like houses that are integrated into the landscape. There are a few designs on the web, but I didn't keep the URLs.

I definitely want a nature-integrated house some day if i ever can afford/make it.

Per aspera ad astra
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:54:54 AM »

That looks awesome. I'm not sure exactly how structurally sound it is, though, but yeah.

Corpus
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »

My main issue with this house: no way to power my laptop.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »

My main issue with this house: no way to power my laptop.
This would also be an issue for me, but as far as I'm aware you can now buy mini solar panels with normal plugs in them; they seemed to be marketed to people who go camping a lot.  Another thing I've heard is that you can built mini hydro dams with something as little as a stream; that would definitely be enough to power a couple laptops and some speakers.

Oh, and I may and up building one of these just for kicks at some point soon (I definitely wouldn't live in it, but I might sleep there a couple times).  Farther down the line, assuming the whole laptop thing is sorted out, I could totally see myself living in a house like this.  And given the history of our species, it's a much more natural dwelling than any "modern" house.  Really, I think it's about time that we as a species simultaneously moved forward and backward; the laptop in the forest, essentially.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »

I prefer adobe houses -- you can build them yourself for quite cheap apparently, just out of mix of pebbles, mud, and such. And they last longer than modern houses too, and often don't require air conditioning because the material insulates very well.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »

I just looked it up, and to build an adobe house requires just this stuff:

# Straw
# Soil
# Water
# Brick molds
# Nails
# Trowel
# Wood
# Tar
# Asphalt

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 01:33:53 PM »

I could only live in a nature house if there was:

- An effective way to ward off bugs and parasites. Maybe one of those sound emitters that work in a frequency we cannot hear.
- Constant electricity and internet.
- At least a town I can go to for supplies/emergencies/buy new computer equipment

I can't fully detach myself from modern life, but I like the idea of living in a houe in that style.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »

I could only live in a nature house if there was:

- An effective way to ward off bugs and parasites. Maybe one of those sound emitters that work in a frequency we cannot hear.
- Constant electricity and internet.
- At least a town I can go to for supplies/emergencies/buy new computer equipment

I can't fully detach myself from modern life, but I like the idea of living in a houe in that style.
I'm generally on the same page, but of course we live in very different climates, so, for instance, bugs aren't as much of a problem in Edmonton as they would be in Brazil.  Internet and supplies/computer equipment are definitely a must.  I think that's what I was attempting to get at with the comment about simultaneous progression and regression: keep the ultra high tech, like computers, but get rid of a lot of the needless middle tech that only makes our modern lives more pointless/depressing.  I guess I would say individual vehicles (as opposed to bikes/public transit) fit here, as do a lot of consumer products that no one really needs.

@rinku: I'd actually looked at adobes for this project too, but part of my intent is to design a structure that doesn't clash with the surrounding landscape, and as I'm not designing for an arid climate, adobes won't work.  I do really like them though, and they do fit very nicely within the desert aesthetic.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 06:49:26 PM »

I thought I read that they put solar panels on this house of theirs...?

From what they used (oak poles) I don't think this house will just fall down. Then again I don't think there are many earthquakes in Wales (?). I'd be more worried about the waterproofing they used and any rot that might get in there.

Otherwise I think this is fantastic. Here in the (US) Northwest straw bale, lime plaster, cob, etc. is quite popular and is a lot of fun to build with from the little I've done with it.

There is a huge established industrial inertia/resistance against this kind of thing though. People have been using square lumber and flat materials for a long time.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 07:07:03 PM »

People have been using square lumber and flat materials for a long time.
Yeah, and this touches upon an interesting aspect of the "green" building shift.  Architects are actually having trouble getting "green" buildings made (eg. contains things like composting toilets and/or green roofs) because the contractors refuse to build them, as they don't know how, and don't want to learn.  It adds a whole layer of resistance for us trying to build better buildings, so seeing these "build it with your friends" projects is really nice, as it eliminates that resistance and you end up knowing your own home really well, being the one that built it and all.
increpare
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 07:16:51 PM »

because the contractors refuse to build them, as they don't know how, and don't want to learn.
Such laments as this are not unknown to architects of many varieties...
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 09:44:41 PM »

because the contractors refuse to build them, as they don't know how, and don't want to learn.
Such laments as this are not unknown to architects of many varieties...
Quite true, but I think the sustainable building is even more frustrating because we're trying to design ethical/environmentally conscious buildings (eg. using materials from buildings being demolished) as opposed to just having some crazy curves for some artistic/theoretical reason.

By the way, have you heard any of these laments directly increpare?
increpare
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 09:53:36 PM »

By the way, have you heard any of these laments directly increpare?
Yep.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 11:25:23 PM »

Haha, cool.  So did the designs end up getting built?  Or did the contractor problem actually succeed in preventing that?  Sad
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic