Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411570 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 07:36:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneraltoo.. much.. Information! (RSS Explosion!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: too.. much.. Information! (RSS Explosion!)  (Read 1430 times)
mesotes
Level 0

<3

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2008, 09:54:39 PM »

Hey guys, I really need some advice here,..
So Im trying to get "into" the scene right, cause I like games and all, especialy game design, and that lead me to do some major website research, bookmarking and (finaly) building a proper rss feed archive.
So i did that and ended up having over 2500 unread articles in about a week.
Hm, Im lazy, I thought and I ended up yesterday and tonight reading all that stuff and well,.. sorting out..

As I browsed through my feeds I noticed 5 feeds about gaming and games in general having most of the news in common:
destructoid, offworld, 1up, rock paper shotgun, and another one i forgot it was really big so I got rid of it immedietly (I got several RSS feeds for different categories, damn what was it called again?).. Then I deleted 1up cause most of the stuff is refered to by the remaining blogs most of the time..
But still, most of the news are in all blogs but then again I think every blog has its own unique posts.. It is a very redundant thing, which could be nice if there are news which matter to have a diffrent opinion on, but most of the time they arent that complex :p But if so, Id rather surf there than having a rss feed..

You see I dont know much about these blogs and like to know more about them.Which websites do you visit? Which RSS feeds do you have? Can I get rid of another feed cause its already a referal source to another blog?
If it helps, here is a more (or even less) precise description what I want to know (doesnt matter which platform): when gets a game released, what happens in the buisness (ea buys another studio etc..), maybe reviews but they arent that important, insights and observations of the development of games as a medium, oh hell just everything.... and I know, that will lead me to another massive unread articles which pile up every hour.. Its not like Im not reading them, but they multiply themselves exponentially! >_<
So there you have it.. my precious dilemma. Any help is greatly appriciated.
(and any tips on a feature rich RSS Reader?)

Gentleman good day/evening
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 09:59:10 PM »

I visit here for indie news and 1up for mainstream news.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:33:01 PM »

I visit TIGSource and the IndieGames.com blog regularly.

I guess I get most of my news through the forums, though. Word of mouth is a pretty good filter.
azeo
Level 1

Blank slate!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 10:35:44 PM »

I use to have the same problem, and then I started reading joystiq. I find it does just about everything. And of course, indieblog for my indie news.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 10:38:27 PM »

My Google Reader is made up of the following (gives me about 50-180 articles a day to read, although I naturally skip through most of them).

Cracked: All Posts (for the funny, ~3-6 posts daily)
digg.com: Gaming (for Gaming stuff ~15 posts daily)
digg.com: Science (for interesting Science news ~30 posts daily)
digg.com: Technology (for interesting tech news ~40 posts daily)
Emanuele Feronato (because he has some interesting AS3 stuff sometimes ~1 post every few days)
Golem.de (for German tech news ~20 posts daily)
Steam News
Steam Releases (because I like to know what's up on Steam)

And that's about it. The rest of the important stuff is eventually posted here or on the tigIRC anyway :D

I know that digg isn't exactly the most reliable source of information, but it pretty much filters out the articles of other blogs that I would'v read, too, so it safes me some time.

I don't really have any of the Independent Gaming stuff there because I visit it regularly on my own anyway.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 02:41:30 AM »

I subscribe to Joystiq for general news (nerdy, general news of course) and IndieGames.com for indie news specifically. That's it.

I visit Rock, Paper, Shotgun and TIGSource occasionally but haven't decided if I want to subscribe to them yet.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 12:00:45 PM »

I'm not an RSS type of person, but I have a collection of gaming blogs I visit on a daily basis. I find that pretty much every piece of important gaming news gets mentioned on Jostiq and/or Kotaku pretty quickly, so either one of those is a good bet for overall gaming news.

Then you have to pick your niche to figure out what second tier blogs are right for you. I'm a PC/Indie gamer, so my other two main news sources are the indiegames blog and Rock, Paper, Shotgun, but their are similar platform-specific blogs for all the other consoles too.

If you really want news on the business of gaming you can give gamasutra a try, most of their news is usually recycled and can be found elsewhere, but from time they have really insightful and informative pieces on the business machinations of the game industry as a whole.
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »

I have Kotaku and N4G on my feeds bar. Although that's as much for industry news as anything else. Rock,Paper,Shotgun and this place I'll drop by every so often and catch up on the backlog. I don't have a need to try and stay on the 'bleeding edge' of the indie scene, so I've yet to have a good reason to fill my crowded bookmarks any further.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic