Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 12:05:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignUsing (Electronic) Games To Interact With The Real World
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Using (Electronic) Games To Interact With The Real World  (Read 1876 times)
MrMog
Level 0

It's all thanks to bone density!

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2010, 05:15:37 AM »

Lately I've been really interested in stuff like Geocaching/GPS technology and how they could be used within the the context of a game set IRL. With most phones in this day and age having some sort of location awareness, it seems like a no-brainer. Services like Facebook Places and Foursquare are becoming really popular.

Also, it would be interesting to subvert the traditional idea of handheld gaming. More often than not, whenever I see someone using a iphone and DS etc. the purpose is usually to block out the world. Of course it's much different in japan where ad-hoc gaming is the new hotness, but it would be cool to play a game that allows one to become more aware of his surroundings and the people within them.

I've had a couple of ideas for games, my favorite being a city-wide game of hide and go seek using google maps to mark out the play area and the game's "app" showing google street map images nearby other player's locations.

What do you think? Have any good ideas? Are location aware games viable design/cost wise?
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:00:32 AM »

I vaguely recall reading about a game of pacman played in a city (New York somewhere?) using geocaching and cellphones, or something?

Wait, lemme see if I can find it on google...

Oh, here it is.  It's not geocaching.

http://pacmanhattan.com/about.php
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic