Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 01:55:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA Proof of Concept for Transcenders; A Surreal Puzzle Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Proof of Concept for Transcenders; A Surreal Puzzle Game  (Read 950 times)
ChampagneRobot
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »

Hi, I'm Aldo, a game artist who decided about a year and a half ago to see if I could make a game...and have spent that time trying to learn UDK...from scripting, to animations, to sound design, etc...doing different tests to see if I could accomplish all the things I'd need to eventually create something playable. Then I tied all of those tests together, made it look prettier, added some context and "puzzles" (pretty much just figuring out what to click on next) and called it a "proof of concept".

My idea is to build a game that's short, but sweet. It'll last about 10-15 mins, and has a similar theme, art style, pacing and length...but with different gameplay and puzzles that actually make sense.I guess what I'm trying to say is: I know the gameplay be a bit arbitrary, but it might still be an interesting experience...check it out, let me know what you think. What about the idea of making a game that only lasts that long? Is there an audience for something like that on PC (as there is on mobile)?

The proof of concept might be a little deceptive on what part of the process I'm currently at because of how polished it might look, but that's only because I basically survive week to week and this might be the only thing I ever really get to make, so I wanted it to at least look decent and be interesting.

You can download it here: http://aldojeffrey.com/transcenders0

Here's some screenshots:

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:31:45 AM »

actually looks pretty cool. Will try it out.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »

I think it looks/sounds/feels pretty cool. I'm not a fan of the more abstract games where it isn't crystal clear if you are progressing or what you are progressing toward, but I definitely enjoy short games (10-15 minutes is fine) and believe that is a valid goal. I think simple Flash games have shown that there is a valid "market" on PC for that duration, though if you want to monetize it you might have to go with the browser/ad revenue model.

This proof of concept seems like a really good portfolio piece. From that angle it shows you are a competent artist willing to learn programming.

If it's not too personal/off topic, why do you believe this may be the only thing you get to make?
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »

Oh right. I forgot about this. Sorry that I forgot to tell you, but the mac download downloaded a windows exe file for me.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic