Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 08:56:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingScary Race v1.0
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Scary Race v1.0  (Read 2393 times)
MrHOTnSPICY
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:43:21 AM »

Hi guys. While working on my main project, I had the idea to make a small game out of coding side-products and stuff I wanted to try out (e.g. implementing a cheat code). Since Halloween is around the corner, I thought it'd be a nice idea to make this some sort of Halloween special and make it somewhat scary. It initially started as some sort of internet screamer but having no real gameplay aspect was just too simple and stupid in my opinion. So I used the screamer element, added some rushed pixel stuff and within 2 weeks of after-hours work, made a crude, little racer. A damn hard racer, I might add, where you need to race perfect laps, must not crash and have a bit of luck as well.

www.hot-n-spicy-games.com/h2013 Screamy

Cheers,
Alex
pladmi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:32:58 AM »

I played it!

I don't know whether you wanted a serious feedback or just to show your game that people can enjoy it, so I'll go with feedback.

Its kinda fun! I played it with no sound and I assume there is a scream along with that scary-face. I think I wouldn't like it, because I don't enjoy screamers all that much, and it would get repetitive after a while. But actually punishing the player for losing a game is an interesting idea and you used it pretty well.

The art style is good - nothing out of ordinary but it looked nice, enough for me to focus on the gameplay.

As for the gameplay, there are a couple of reasons why I didn't finish a single lap. First, it is your collision resolution. Whenever I collide with a car, the camera zooms in for a fraction of second and my car loses most of its speed. This is very confusing and distracting, and even annoying, when you are actually ahead of another car, and it hits you from behind, and somehow you get punished for that. Second reason is, I feel I lose too early. The opponents get ahead and for some reason the game decides I shouldn't race anymore and puts up that screamer face. If you let me at least finish the game would be so much more satisfying.

Lets be friends!
MrHOTnSPICY
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »

I played it!

I don't know whether you wanted a serious feedback or just to show your game that people can enjoy it, so I'll go with feedback.

Its kinda fun! I played it with no sound and I assume there is a scream along with that scary-face. I think I wouldn't like it, because I don't enjoy screamers all that much, and it would get repetitive after a while. But actually punishing the player for losing a game is an interesting idea and you used it pretty well.

The art style is good - nothing out of ordinary but it looked nice, enough for me to focus on the gameplay.

As for the gameplay, there are a couple of reasons why I didn't finish a single lap. First, it is your collision resolution. Whenever I collide with a car, the camera zooms in for a fraction of second and my car loses most of its speed. This is very confusing and distracting, and even annoying, when you are actually ahead of another car, and it hits you from behind, and somehow you get punished for that. Second reason is, I feel I lose too early. The opponents get ahead and for some reason the game decides I shouldn't race anymore and puts up that screamer face. If you let me at least finish the game would be so much more satisfying.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I understand that I should have made some points more clear when originally posting this - I just was dead tired Wink

As you suspected, there is a scream to the face which is indeed meant to be a punishment for failing. This scream punishment is intended to be a contrast to the cool BGM from the Dead Rocks which I was granted permission to use.

Just like you said, I actually wanted the player to complete at least one lap and did a lot of playtesting to find the best time limits. Obviously, I was too strict with it though, given that I already know the shortcuts.

If you want to complete the game you might use a cheat code. Since I wanted to try implementing one, the player can enter the Konami code (+Enter) during the race (after the countdown) - this will make the monster go away ; )

Also, what I wanted to say: This is more or less a bit of an experiment or case study if you want to call it that. I want to see if / how I can spread it across the internet and if / how much I can earn from those AdSense ads...

I also made a little Youtube "commercial" (mind the quotation marks - this is just amateur stuff and I am aware of it ; ) Hope to make it go viral and I have to say it is on a very good course, given that it was already watched 20 times (yes, I am joking here ; )

Anyway, I guess I will do a little update when I am done writing my Bachelor Thesis and take care of the things that have been criticized.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic