Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 01:27:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallBrigador: isometric vehicle combat, a Space Tank Western
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Brigador: isometric vehicle combat, a Space Tank Western  (Read 41263 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2017, 05:38:27 AM »

^
HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2017, 11:29:43 AM »

Didn't know you guys had a TIG DevLog.

Will you be posting a retrospective/postmortem of the game?
I've been following progress after your post describing release.

Hope all is well!

I gave a talk at the Full Indie Summit that's a pseudo postmortem, and I'll be doing a full hour-long talk on it at the GDC main summit in a few months:

I'm also hoping to do a written version of it for Gamasutra in the future but I'm swamped currently so it'll have to wait.

And as I mentioned earlier, I basically gave up on updating TIG after a while because it was too much of a time-sink and didn't seem like anyone was reading it  Shrug

How come no one's posting about how good this game is

You tell me chief.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »

You tell me chief.

Hey, I only knew this thread was here 'coz I decided to search for it.  I did my part; now it's up to the good people of the forums to

buy the game

and play it.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2017, 03:32:43 AM »

It's such an underrepresented genre too
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »

Hi Hugh,

i bought the game when it came out for full price.
I would like to share some thoughts/impressions:

• The trailer was really misleading (very fast twin stick shooter impression as mentioned)
  • Most of the shared art work looked very similar and not super appealing on websites(dark city destructible mech battle)
  • The tutorial/beginning of game was a big obstacle for me

So?

I enjoyed the game even though i was expection a twin stick shooter. I enjoyed it!
But why was the tutorial such a huge obstacle for me which almost made me stop playing (i actually had to force myself to continue)? Not the controls even though i had to get used to them! I was disappointed that i got a level which looked like a "tutorial". I had the impression that the game would not take me serious because i did not start in a real city (like i had seen so much before on websites). It took away the illusion.

Just wanted to share.
Everyone should buy it who likes those kind of games!
Keep up the good work!

Seb

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »

Didn't know you guys had a TIG DevLog.

Will you be posting a retrospective/postmortem of the game?
I've been following progress after your post describing release.

Hope all is well!

I gave a talk at the Full Indie Summit that's a pseudo postmortem, and I'll be doing a full hour-long talk on it at the GDC main summit in a few months:

I'm also hoping to do a written version of it for Gamasutra in the future but I'm swamped currently so it'll have to wait.

And as I mentioned earlier, I basically gave up on updating TIG after a while because it was too much of a time-sink and didn't seem like anyone was reading it  Shrug

How come no one's posting about how good this game is

You tell me chief.

Really sad to know this game isn't doing well, but also really glad you've taken the time to be introspective about it and share your findings. Is there anything you'd specifically do different? Also interested on what you think a better direction for a trailer would be, especially as someone who is also making a strategy game that can't rely on pre-rendered CG. Also, I'm working with Caspar on the project as well  Smiley

CANTATA
HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2017, 09:56:46 PM »

Hi Hugh,

i bought the game when it came out for full price.
I would like to share some thoughts/impressions:

• The trailer was really misleading (very fast twin stick shooter impression as mentioned)
  • Most of the shared art work looked very similar and not super appealing on websites(dark city destructible mech battle)
  • The tutorial/beginning of game was a big obstacle for me

So?

I enjoyed the game even though i was expection a twin stick shooter. I enjoyed it!
But why was the tutorial such a huge obstacle for me which almost made me stop playing (i actually had to force myself to continue)? Not the controls even though i had to get used to them! I was disappointed that i got a level which looked like a "tutorial". I had the impression that the game would not take me serious because i did not start in a real city (like i had seen so much before on websites). It took away the illusion.

Just wanted to share.
Everyone should buy it who likes those kind of games!
Keep up the good work!

Seb

Hi Seb! Sorry just seeing this now. If you watched my talk I addressed the trailer point, and we're in the process right now of completely redoing the tutorials. Abstracting them into a VR sim was a huge mistake, as was trying to condense all that learning into just 3 tutorial levels, ones played back to back no less. It was symptomatic of the tremendous time burdens we were under leading into shipping, as well as my own inexperience as a designer. Regardless, it's being corrected now among other things.

I appreciate the feedback, and hope you come back to the game occasionally as we've got some big updates in the pipe.

HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2017, 10:23:51 PM »

Really sad to know this game isn't doing well, but also really glad you've taken the time to be introspective about it and share your findings. Is there anything you'd specifically do different? Also interested on what you think a better direction for a trailer would be, especially as someone who is also making a strategy game that can't rely on pre-rendered CG. Also, I'm working with Caspar on the project as well  Smiley

I'll be giving a full talk at GDC on that topic in case you're able to attend: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/all-systems-no-learning-from-the-doomed-launch-of-brigador

Otherwise I don't know how they determine what talks are allowed onto youtube but I'll jockey for that with mine (provided I don't botch it Smiley).

For Brigador I would have done a real slow, more tonally focused trailer, that turns into a fireball at the end. Our first trailer is still probably our best—even though the game was in a much more rudimentary state and we had no idea what we were doing with video encoding, it sets the right mode and more accurately represented the kind of game Brigador ended up being. There's whole lot of advice about "getting straight to the action" with your trailers, and that's true to a limited extent. Don't run 20 seconds worth of splash screens for example. But that doesn't mean you can't set the mood, provided you do it well. Personally I think the worst approach you can take is to go the default "mediocre voice actor reciting lore" because even if you've got the best lore in the world,  no one cares about it until they've already played the game. Does you no good to help sell it in the first place.

Anyway, just some offhand thoughts there. I don't know what your project is so maybe I'm full of it  Gentleman  Feel free to hit me up on twitter or something if you want to chat more, my DMs are open.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »

I like the Launch Trailer

The music and cutting reinforce the tone of "stay up all night, knock down anything that moves and most things that don't" that meshes perfectly with being a mercenary running missions back to back on cheap coffee, black market cigarettes, and stims.

How much of that translates into a tangible feeling that's gonna get people to want to buy and play is anyone's guess, of course.
soundofsilence42
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2017, 08:30:29 PM »

This talk was super insightful and eye-opening, just wanted to say thanks for sharing it here. Hand Thumbs Up Left
HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2017, 08:51:59 PM »

This talk was super insightful and eye-opening, just wanted to say thanks for sharing it here. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Beer!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2017, 06:12:13 AM »

hi hello, i am the person in this chat.

the game did take an hour or so to "click" with me (and i'll be honest, i got very close to giving up), but i love it now. it's an excellent game and it doesn't play like anything else in its genre. even if you initially hate it, GIVE IT A CHANCE!!
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2017, 08:28:19 AM »

I did my part, citizen

Now do yours
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2017, 02:28:45 PM »

http://steamcommunity.com/games/274500/announcements/detail/223333117189561228
HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2017, 02:35:15 AM »

The work never stops

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2017, 06:26:14 AM »

In years to come pulling an all nighter will be referred to as Liberating Solo Nobre
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2017, 05:37:02 AM »

Coffee

Keep it up guys, this game will eventually be discovered by the masses
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2017, 07:30:28 AM »