Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 07:07:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBullet Time
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bullet Time  (Read 3600 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:06:14 PM »

I made a new shooter! Beer! For the 48hr MiniLD #9 contest.

ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:15:21 PM »

I didn't like that movement didn't feel smooth. I had the same feeling while playing Dino Run, so maybe it's because of large pixels.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »

I thought it was quite a fun game.  I loved the varied enemy types. 

The one issue I had was that the Bullet Time aspect didn't really feel like a major part of the game, mostly due to the long times between recharge, and the fact that I didn't really feel there were any particular times that more warranted using it over others.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:06:05 PM »

challenging and frantic fun.
good effort, terry.  Smiley
it also has that "just-one-more-time-charme".
my best rank so far:
leader with 31.46 sec  Gentleman

if only the recharging time would be a little faster...then im sure i could add a few seconds on top of that Wink
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:10:36 PM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:40:08 PM »

It's pretty great. The really quick games add a lot of addictiveness. Kudos for making it so easy and quick to begin and restart. I feel like the recharge rate on the bullet time is a bit quick, especially since you can't use it again until it's at 100%. I usually use it once and then give up on it. Or I don't use it at all.

Some more incentives to use bullet time would be great. For example, your special weapon times out really fast. So you could make it so that the timeout elapses slower during bullet time, and if you get another green orb before your weapon times out, you get a better weapon, and so on.

Or you could make it so that green orbs fully recharged your bullet time, so you'd try to keep on collecting them before your bullet time ran out.

I got 43.33 seconds. Now I feel like it's harder - does it determine difficulty according to your best score? Because that's a great idea, if so.

I think it's weird to tell the player that he broke the record for score (as opposed to time) because you can't see your high score anywhere.
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

That was pretty fun. The mine enemies are frustrating, of course, but it's supposed to be that way.

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »

The one issue I had was that the Bullet Time aspect didn't really feel like a major part of the game, mostly due to the long times between recharge, and the fact that I didn't really feel there were any particular times that more warranted using it over others.

I feel like the recharge rate on the bullet time is a bit quick, especially since you can't use it again until it's at 100%. I usually use it once and then give up on it. Or I don't use it at all.

There's kind of a trick to using it, though! The idea is that when you use it, you should ideally use as little of it as possible, thereby reducing the time it takes to recharge. If you're really stuck you can use the whole thing, but then it'll take ages.

I got 43.33 seconds. Now I feel like it's harder - does it determine difficulty according to your best score? Because that's a great idea, if so.

Heh, fraid not. I did update it earlier to make the whole thing a bit harder though, maybe you just got caught in that?

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 04:44:31 PM »

I think it's weird to tell the player that he broke the record for score (as opposed to time) because you can't see your high score anywhere.

Yeah, you're completely right about this - the high scores have become totally irrelevant seeing as I can't seem to get the kongregate api working properly. I filed a bug report, but I might update the game tomorrow to take them out completely if I don't hear back from them.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »

Best time: 37.63

Addictive! The gameplay is very tight. The sounds are a bit off, especially the tiny death noise and the lack of audio feedback when enemies shoot.

Fate
Level 0

uhm.. derp..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 09:53:52 PM »

really good... quick and dirty fun Smiley
and the soundtrack fits just right!
got 37 seconds... but i think i will give it few more tries!  Crazy

"i like seeing... people... come out of the dark." -David Lynch
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:18:42 PM »

Yup, pretty fun. Not quite Self Destruct, but good for a quick blast. It's missing a certain... delicious factor, I guess. Maybe go over once more and give the sounds a little more polish?

Best time is 43:60. Aww yeah.  Cool
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 08:27:38 AM »

This is cool. I like the visual cue you get when your bullet time is recharged. It's just a classy game design choice.
 Gentleman
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »

Eee, I suck at it. Considering that the game is over so quick, I'd make the bullet time ability recharge much faster. Other than that, it's pretty solid!

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 06:06:51 PM »

Finally had a chance to play this a bit more.  Love how fast and easy it is to restart because I musta played it about 30 times in very short order.  As you might guess I'm not very good at it. Smiley  Best I got to was about 21 seconds.

Is it just me or is the bullet time almost useless?  It hardly seems to slow anything down for me.. it feel like maybe a 20% reduction?  Likely it just means I don't have the chops to play this thing.  Heh.

Love the graphical look and the way the game plays is brutally fun. 

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 02:38:39 PM »

What is the rank after 'God'?
Kekskiller
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 04:03:56 PM »

Cool little shooter! But Terry, could you upload the some music somewhere? Friggin awesome tunes! I died about 50 times and just kept playing because of the music  Hand Shake LeftGrin:handshakeR:
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 04:13:15 PM »

Terry, you're quickly becoming one of the shiny gems of indie!  Beer!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 04:54:19 AM »

Oh, bumped!

What is the rank after 'God'?

Martha Evil

edit: bloody hell, nice score!

Cool little shooter! But Terry, could you upload the some music somewhere? Friggin awesome tunes! I died about 50 times and just kept playing because of the music  Hand Shake LeftGrin:handshakeR:

The music was part of the Ludum Dare theme for that month - I forget which songs I used but they're in this pack!

Terry, you're quickly becoming one of the shiny gems of indie!  Beer!

Thanks Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic