Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 06:39:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingInferus - platformer inspired by the modern PoP and Castlevania games
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Inferus - platformer inspired by the modern PoP and Castlevania games  (Read 6485 times)
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 10:58:32 AM »

Actually the old one for the GameBoy also had pretty fluid movement.

What?  No.  The old gameboy one was like trying to drive a truck through a downhill slalom.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 03:14:19 PM »

What?  No.  The old gameboy one was like trying to drive a truck through a downhill slalom.

You sure? It's been many, maaany years since I last played it, but that's not how I remember it..Tongue
Anyway, I'm SURE that the DS versions are totally super-speed and smooth. And awesome.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 03:36:18 PM »

snip

The installer says about 34.4mbs and it also downloads the XNA framework (whether you need it or not-unfortunately) so maybe add 3-5mbs more.

This method of install is really annoying, I would much rather prefer a simple .zip file with the game contents. It didn't even let me choose which hard drive I wanted to install it in. I also had to search my entire hard drive to even find the damn install location.

I used a keyboard to play this and due to the awkward controls I quit almost immediately. The less buttons the better and this game uses way too many.. As others have said its not really responsive so it's really frustrating to fight especially when crouching and trying to dodge...

I hope you get these control issues fixed because it really seems like it could be a great game.
Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 07:07:32 PM »

The installer says about 34.4mbs and it also downloads the XNA framework (whether you need it or not-unfortunately) so maybe add 3-5mbs more.

This method of install is really annoying, I would much rather prefer a simple .zip file with the game contents. It didn't even let me choose which hard drive I wanted to install it in. I also had to search my entire hard drive to even find the damn install location.
Yeah, Microsoft's stock deployment tool is about as bad as an installer can get and still work. I simply haven't had the time to devote a few days to rigging up an NSIS installer yet, so this is what you get. I might start distributing the game as a plain old ZIP file instead and tell people to install .NET by hand, we'll see.

Your estimate for the game's size is pretty accurate. The game data is around 35MB (though it's about 28MB if you ZIP it) and XNA framework 3.1 is around 7MB.

Thanks for the feedback on the controls.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 03:37:03 AM »

Also every Castlevania has stiff movements like the ones in this game, as they're not true platformers

The old ones for SNES, NES, etc, yes.
I guess you haven't played any Castlevania game on the DS?

looks like vevery other Castlevania to me, the animations are fluid but the movement is still stiff.
Not that's a bad thing, my favourite Castlevania is Rondo of Blood for PC-Engine

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 07:43:10 AM »

looks like vevery other Castlevania to me, the animations are fluid but the movement is still stiff.
Not that's a bad thing, my favourite Castlevania is Rondo of Blood for PC-Engine

It might look somewhat slow and stiff, but it really isn't! You have to try it to understand;) -And, well, that gameplay was from the very beginning of the game, where you don't have double jump, the panther soul(which lets you move REALLY fast), or the infinite jump function (that lets you zoom quickly upwards whenever you want)
Anyway, you really ought to try it! Dawn of Sorrow is my favorite, but Order of Ecclesia was also extremely good. (Stay away from Portrait of ruin, I hated the multiple-character gameplay-_-)
jmzero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 02:19:04 PM »

I gave it a quick go - really not a fan of the controls.  This is just personal preference - but I hate what feels like a lot of acceleration or animation or something between input and character responding (I'm a big fan of the Gameboy Castlevania games - all of which have very tight controls). 

I hate the flat "one size only" jump arc.  I guess it controls like Prince of Persia (the 2d game).  I don't like that, but other people may.

There seems to be key jamming problems with the default key set (I'm not sure how concerned you are with that, or to what extent you mean to target keyboard gamers).  I had trouble in particular with crouching and attacking cutting each other off (I don't know how consistent this is between keyboards). 

In several cases, tutorial hints popped up when I had already started running away from whatever triggered them.  So the hint disappeared before I could read it, and it didn't come back.  I don't know if I missed something important.

For game balance, maybe it makes sense to start off with an attack that has such a small range - but it's frustrating, and combined with the sluggish control will turn a lot of people off of the game before they have a chance to see much of it.

All that said, I like the genre, I like the graphics, I like the general approach, and I think it's got good potential.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic