Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411672 Posts in 69398 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 06:49:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingKreis - Very early build - Now working...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kreis - Very early build - Now working...  (Read 3784 times)
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:08:20 AM »

Hi all, I'm giving you the chance, nay, the privilege (not.) to take a look at a very early version of kreis.

its still pretty buggy, and has lots of content still to be added to it, however I would like to know what kind of computers it runs on, and if it doesn't, what your set-up is.

anyway, I would live some feedback, if you feel kreis is worthy enough for some, so reply post-haste.

Download here

and, in case it doesn't work for you, here's what your missing you've been spared from

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:55:58 AM by MrHackenbacker » Logged
Jolli
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 01:59:19 PM »

needs sdl dll
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:21:38 PM »

first you need to tell people to use this! and what levels you suggest we try, I tried a couple (dadlevel crashed immediately) but they all looked the same basically.

when you start the game you have to type in a level name, get the level names from the levels sub-folder and type in the level name and the extension (.txt)

such as: level.txt

here is the sdl.dll:
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.13-win32.zip

extract it to the main directory of the game and voila

anyways, game runs at 63fps constantly on my machine. But I think you should mention the lower-end computers and laptops should test this as those seem to have most problems with running certain games nowadays. if it matters I have a Q6600 and a hd3850. 4gbs of ram and win7

it seems like it would be an interesting game, can't wait for more news.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:23:07 PM »

Oh dam, linked an old version, sorry, ill try and get the new version linked in soon, you shouldn't need to type on the level name, and it should have sdl.ell with it
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:15:26 AM »

changed the link, it should work now. Not a good way to introduce a game I know, oh well...
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 09:07:09 AM »

lol. this time you uploaded the source code along with the game. maybe this entire thread should be entered into Experimental Gameplay Project for this month, the theme is Failure ya know  :D

ah, back on topic. game ran fine, same as before-constant 63fps. checked every level, occasionally on level change or just beginning a level it would crash, something you should check out eventually.

I had a bit of fun messin around, bouncing off walls. Learned me this glitchy and horribly difficult triple jump to a wall and then wall-jump back off. it's super metroid wall jump on keyboard hard. but fun.

next time before you release-why not knock on some wood for good luck, eh?
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »

thanks for the encouragement with the faliure thing. Lips Sealed

however, there is no source code, apart from with the editor, and to be honest, anybody could have written that y'know?

what do you mean about the walljumping? that shouldnt happen...
what happened when it crashed?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:55:35 AM »

oh? I just opened it up for a half of a second in Notepad++ and saw some syntax and closed it, half caring. wasn't really interested. Just assumed it was source code and though you may want to know.

as for the walljump:
it's seemingly random and kinda hard. definitely a glitch with the collisions perhaps. seems like the player thinks that a vertical wall is a floor or an edge and thinks it is okay to jump again, it's just my guess.

the way I do it, try to get a bit of speed, little more than half of the max then I use my double jump; and when I triple jump I should be close enough to the wall to give it a hug and I have to be quite slow and the player hugs it for a sec and then I can hit the key in the opposite direction and jump off-with a bit of luck of course. oh yeah, when i first leave the ground i approach the vertical wall at a 60-70 degree angle..seems to give more favorable results.

also, the crash is either a complete freeze with no warning or the generic vista/win7 program has stopped responding message.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 10:50:02 AM »

ah, I can answer all of those questions!

1) you probably opened one of the level files, did it look somthing like this?
aabb;LX;-75;RX;75;TY;60;BY;-60;$aabb;shape;vertexCount;4;vertex;X;-75;Y;-10;$vertex;vertex;X;-75;Y;-20;$vertex;vertex;X;25;Y;-20;$vertex;vertex;X;25;Y;-10;$vertex;friction;0.3;restitution;0.1;density;0;$shape;shape;vertexCount;4;vertex;X;5;Y;-20;$vertex;vertex;X;5;Y;-35;$vertex;vertex;X;25;Y;-35;$vertex;vertex;X;25;Y;-20;$vertex;friction;0.3;restitution;0.1;density;0;$shape;shape;vertexCount;4;vertex;X;...
if so, then thats one of the levels, just to show people the basic syntax

2)thats probably a bug with the jumping code, you can sometime triple jump if you jump from touching the ground, then jump again in quick succession

3)I think that it's a memory problem, as it is seemingly random, yes? I'm not to experienced in programming so that particular glitch may take some time to iron out.

anyway, thanks for the feedback, I really need stuff like this to help me make it better, as you can see its in a VERY early stage...

Thanks!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 12:07:04 PM »

no i seriously doubt it's a memory problem, i think the fact that i believe it's random is to how long i fail or succeed in hugging the wall and maybe the variation in angle and speed might have something to do with it.

but no no no...not a glitch! an unintended feature! ah, but i guess when you work on levels you would have issues with that..too bad, i like it.

and it was a .vb file I opened, i didnt really look at it i just saw syntax highlights and closed it. i was looking for the game clicking random things, heh.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 12:34:44 PM »

oh, right. I meant memory problem for the level loading thingy.

and the jumping is just a feature you've picked up on. of course  Who, Me?.

and the .vb file is the source code for the svg->level compiler
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »

Downloaded the game, started it, it immediately crazhes once I press z at the title screen, showing a screen with a green square and several white ones.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
deathtotheweird
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 04:58:37 AM »

each white square is a level and the green square indicates that you are selecting that level, arrow buttons changes that.

probably has something to do with the level change/load bug mentioned earlier, although I never had it crash start at the beginning like that on my end.
Jolli
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:30:55 PM »

it works
~60 fps
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 09:17:01 AM »

I've uploaded a new version, if it fails to create the opengl window now, then try deleting opengl32.dll from the folder, some people need it, others don't...

the level loading should work now
mgatland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 01:44:02 AM »

It worked for me after deleting opengl32.dll. I'm running Windows 7 and fairly new hardware.

The shadow effect is cool. Movement is a bit sluggish for me. But I guess you're not looking for gameplay feedback yet?
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 02:15:47 AM »

Well, I think I've got it more or less stable now, so a bit of feedback on that kinda thing would be helpful, although as you can see it's in a very early stage of development
mgatland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 02:02:26 AM »

On the first level I quickly fell down to the bottom and thought it was pretty lame. But when I tried the other levels I kind of "got it" and could see more potential. It's fun knocking down the enemies and exploring the maps.

As I said before the controls feel sluggish to me. Maybe take a look at how movement works in Gumboy http://www.gumboycrazyadventures.com/ and see what you think?
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 05:35:25 AM »

Interesting, I did have movement like that in one of the early builds, but I soon found it really hard, seeing as you have no control over movement in the air. You are right though, the movement is a little sluggish, i might put in something like:

if direction  does not equal wanted direction then
 apply a high force
else
 apply a small force
endif

or alternatively I could have something like in crysis, where you press shift to sprint

I'll put them both in and upload a new version
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic