Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411609 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 11:24:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDynasty - A Narrative Social Deduction Roguelike. "Singleplayer Secret Hitler"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dynasty - A Narrative Social Deduction Roguelike. "Singleplayer Secret Hitler"  (Read 1434 times)
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2023, 04:34:42 AM »

Dynasty
A Narrative Social Deduction Roguelike

Your king father is dead, and you are now alone. A day ago he stood strong and proud. The royal advisors found cause and means to open your king father's chest to voice their dissent against his rule. "Trust no one," were his dying words. You do not know why they killed him, or how they killed him, but there is no denying that they succeeded. The mandate of heaven falls to you. You must prolong the Dynasty.

Dynasty is a narrative social deduction roguelike in which you must rule your kingdom through your advisors, who you are unsure whether you can trust. Your advisors hold the keys to power. You must please them enough to keep them loyal and grant them the power to administrate your kingdom. But beware-- the more power you grant them, the more they may use that power against you.

There is no installation. Click here to play now in your browser.

Gameplay

You must survive 40 turns without being assassinated. If you have not been assassinated by your advisors by turn 40, you win.

There are six primary advisors:

• Seneschal Belmin: The majordomo of your palace. Through him you can curry the loyalty of your other advisors. He can help you expand your palace and staff, and with enough power can learn the true loyalty of your other advisors.
  • Captain Niri: The Captain of your Crownguard. She will help you discover and foil assassination plots. If you suspect another advisor of plotting against you, you can have her arrest them, to be replaced by another hopefully more loyal second.
  • Treasurer Chaddik: Of the Royal Treasury. He safeguards your income and manages your coffers and expenses. Through him you can purchase the loyalty of other advisors.
  • Magistrate Elenda: Of the Ministry of the Commons. She represents the will of your subjects. Without her resourceful solutions to the problems your kingdom faces, there would surely be unrest and revolts.
  • Unitary Alesanvi: The highest religious officiant. The piety of other advisors only offers her more power, though she tells you that her power comes only from the heavens.
  • General Higan: The commander of the Royal Army. Through his military might you can command fear and obedience. Beware that you do not turn your kingdom into a military dictatorship.

There are three additional characters:

• Consort (Placeholder Name): Your Royal Consort. You will meet your Royal Consort on turn 12 and marry them some time later.
  • Concubine (Placeholder Name): Your Royal Concubine. You will meet your Royal Concubine on turn 20.
  • The Heir Apparent, (Placeholder Name): Your Son or Daughter. They are born around turn 24 and become politically active on turn 28.

Development Status

Gameplay. I have completed a first pass of gameplay for the Seneschal. Most of his programs (programs are the primary way by which you assign power and gain new abilities) have been implemented. Many of his abilities rely on the abilities of other characters, which have not been developed yet, so he can't be fully completed for the time being, but the game is now playable from front to back if you are willing to focus on the Seneschal's abilities only. Of course, it's just a first pass and subject to change. The next character to be developed will be Captain Niri.

Narrative. The story is completed only partway through Chapter 4. I have a rough outline of where the story is going. I'm focusing on the gameplay first before I come back around to flesh out more story and write more chapters. Note: One chapter == one turn.

Art. All art is placeholder. Want to help? Drop me a line Smiley

I love feedback and I generally always try to address it if I can so please share your thoughts here in this thread, whether you like or dislike it. I'm also happy to answer questions about the direction the game is headed.

Thanks for playing!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 07:51:41 AM by Vino » Logged
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 02:46:25 AM »

A new build is live now. Here's the changelist:

• There is now a different set of random events before vs after turn 20. Random events now scale up in penalty as the game goes on.
  • A lot of work on Seneschal's programs to make them flow and balance better.
  • Some quality of life and UI improvements, like showing the number of programs left that the player can implement this turn.
  • A lot of numbers tuning.

Seneschal is now in a pretty good spot. It's not yet representative of the final product, but it's enough that I can move on. Next I'm going to be working on some story stuff. After the story stuff is in place I'll be working on another advisor's programs. Previously I've said I'm going to work on Treasurer, but actually his systems are mostly in place and are a well known quantity, so I'm going to go after Captain instead, because she'll have some synergies with Seneschal that will make both advisors more fun to play.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 08:46:33 AM »

• Captain Niri now has a ton of programs.
  • Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 now have story written, though the Chapter 3 option boxes are still missing.
  • The Seneschal has a new program that awards power if he is low on gold.
  • The game now makes clear the difference between Base Power and Bonus Power and when it is adding or removing each.
  • If an advisor takes a Base Power penalty in excess of available Base Power, their Loyalty is affected.
  • If an advisor takes a Loyalty penalty in excess of available Loyalty, assassination plots are progressed.
  • A lot of numbers and dialogue tuning.

Captain Niri's programs are still a bit rough. Think of her programs as now being in a 'beta' state. I'm also focusing on completing the story through Chapter 4.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 08:27:17 PM »

• I've completing all of the writing through Chapter 4. Cliffhanger ending!
  • If you die, the game will show you a graph of what each advisor's loyalty and the assassination plot progress was at every turn.
  • You can now choose to play the game in "Game Mode" or "Story Mode". Game Mode will skip most of the story.

Now that I'm finished with Chapter 4 I'll be working on finishing Captain Niri's programs.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 09:46:45 PM by Vino » Logged
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 09:42:49 PM »

• Significant quality of life improvements to Game Mode and to the user interface.
  • Tons of bug fixes!

This was a slight diversion from working on Captain Niri's programs because I got some really good playtest feedback that I wanted to address.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 09:31:59 PM »

I had a playtester lose progress because their phone browser reset the game on them, so next up and coming soon: A save feature.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 08:29:54 AM »

A few of my playtesters lost their progress while playing the game, so I implemented a save game feature. To use this feature, all you have to do is nothing. The game will automatically save as you play, and then if your browser refreshes or you close the page, you will be prompted to continue your game where you left off.​

I've been working on a lot of odds and ends lately without as much effort into finishing the Captain's programs, but she's getting cranky and wants her programs done so I will probably be getting back to that soon.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 09:58:11 AM »

A new build is live now. ​I've been working mainly on getting Captain Niri's programs into shape. Here's the full changelist

• Many new Captain programs and balancing of her programs and abilities. She now starts with Investigate instead of Monitor.
  • Story Mode now grants your Seneschal a few starter programs to help new players understand the game
  • Playing in Game Mode will now allow players to swap Exemplars of Loyalty for Advisor Confidants, which will unlock a very different play style for the Seneschal
  • I'm really happy with the Captain's progress. I have a few more Captain programs to build, and some refactoring of programs that don't quite work yet.

Thanks for playing Dynasty!
Flenn
Level 0

Composer musician

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 06:59:56 AM »

Hello, I like the graphics and the story of your graphic novel dinastia , in case you want to add music to your game, I offer my service as a composer musician:
https://www.instagram.com/flen__campos/?hl=es-la
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic