Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411596 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 09:21:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessI Made a Game: Now What?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I Made a Game: Now What?  (Read 1132 times)
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »

This is mostly a question for developers who already have one or more games under their belt:

Everyone has a few things they wish they'd known before they went ahead with publishing.  What do you know now that you wish you'd have known before publishing your first game?  What advice would you give to an indie publishing their first game and asking themselves "I made a game. Now what?"

Just curious.

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
Nix
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »

Delve Deeper?
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »

Budumtss.

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
poe
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »

I've been meaning to buy Delve Deeper for so long now..
Cool to see the guy behind the game.

Sorry for offtopicness, just letting you know I'll give you my money soon.
MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »

the easiest way to get on major gamesites is hire one of the connected PR firms.

MOstly they ignore indies and or straightup shit on you if you didnt pay one of the gatekeepers (gamespot, ign etc.)
AzraelKans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 07:51:10 PM »

Gentleman
Actually, knowing what I know now, I think you should consider self publishing at least for your first game, is extremely difficult to get a publisher without a previous portfolio, and the worst part is that publishers are sometimes not very direct about it. Which leads to very long times waiting for a "final decission".

There are some services out there for self publishing like Desura, GamersGate, etc. maybe even Steam (although it is really difficult), it depends on your target platform. (iOS and Android are incredibly easy for self publishing)

Once you have self published your game you can use it as your portfolio for your second game and so on. Obviously you wont have as many sales for your first game but hey everybody has to start somewhere.

Beer!

Programmer/Community guy for Xibalba Studios www.xibalbastudios.com creators of www.militantgame.com, www.icebreakers-game.com and www.icebreakersmini.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic