Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411602 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 12:08:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessanyone heard of yetizen, or SF Video Game Development Workshop?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: anyone heard of yetizen, or SF Video Game Development Workshop?  (Read 1773 times)
zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2011, 04:25:54 PM »

Anyone heard of Yetizen? Or the San Francisco Video Game Development Workshop? Are they legit?

I've been chatting with a couple people going through some kind of video game startup incubator program that yetizen is running (http://yetizen.com/about.html). Was curious if anyone else on tigsource had heard of this or had opinions on it.

Alaskan Runway, a side-scrolling flight sim I'm working on.
Forest, a walking meditation game. (behind the scenes)
www.zovirl.com
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »

I know a few of the key people involved in this. They may or may not be helpful in the end(if you're aiming for an operation of a size that needs advice/funding/business-building, that's where they'd be of the most use) but you can trust them, and the workshops sometimes bring in interesting speakers.

zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:03:54 PM »

Thanks!  Yes I got the feel they were very much leaning towards the "you need venture capital" size studio.

Alaskan Runway, a side-scrolling flight sim I'm working on.
Forest, a walking meditation game. (behind the scenes)
www.zovirl.com
dani_zee
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »

My Company BitPollen was part of Yetizen's first class and the experience was invaluable. In the time that my company has been part of the accelerator we have gotten advice and connections that have changed our position in the industry. Before Yetizen we were a scrappy developer that could not get an investor meeting for the world. And now we meeting with Angels and Top VC who are genuinely interested.

Most game focused companies are exactly that, very games focused. So the other thing that Yetizen offers is learning (Beyond Development).

Lastly the most valuable part of the accelerator are Japheth and Sana. They make things happen for the companies in the accelerator. They are true connectors and deal makers.

One thing for all those interested, Yetizen only takes companies that are looking to build a company with an exit plan. Secondly they are an accelerator (not an incubator) so they only take companies with a product and some proof.

As for the workshops. They are really good they are a good combination of networking and learning.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic