Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 03:33:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTelemetry
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Telemetry  (Read 3616 times)
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 03:19:59 PM »

27/6/2011 update

I've added a sort of reverse-collectible. As you explore the asteroid explored areas are marked with a little cross. I feel this encourages exploration and aids localisation in an otherwise featureless environment.

Let me know what you think. As ever, I will continue to ponder the future of this project. I am growing to love its non-game-ness.

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 01:54:42 AM »

27/6/2011 update

I've added a sort of reverse-collectible. As you explore the asteroid explored areas are marked with a little cross. I feel this encourages exploration and aids localisation in an otherwise featureless environment.

Let me know what you think. As ever, I will continue to ponder the future of this project. I am growing to love its non-game-ness.

The crosses certainly help keep oriented, the only other thing that would be nice would be some co-ordinates in the corner so that players could talk about areas that they found in different asteroids. Noctis did this on a somewhat larger scale, but similar concept.

Also, have you seen this game? Space Game : Mujakwi It's like you both started with the same concept, then took it completely different directions...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
foxes8787
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »

I got stuck in a small room when I crashed Sad
Is this normal?
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »

I got stuck in a small room when I crashed Sad
Is this normal?

Unfortunately, yes. Its the old collision problem of 'tunneling' when the player object is moving too fast or the program is running too slow. Its a glitch that I am currently fixing.

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 06:33:49 AM »

Work is continuing on this and it is going well. Expect an update soon.

I have decided to make it more of a game. I have found that even a simple goal makes the experience much more rewarding and enjoyable. Should have listened to all those game design gurus out there I guess! But its good to discover this kind of thing for yourself.

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:15 AM »

I look forward to it Smiley

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »

Update 10/7/2011

- The spacecraft will leave a trail to show the player where they have already explored. The trail remains if you crash and retry the same level.
- I have also changed the control of the spacecraft by adding a 'boost' button [hold Ctrl].
- Permadeath. When you crash disconnection if now permanent. You have to press [Enter] to return to the title screen and [Enter] again to reconnect to try the same level again.

I think these simple additions make Telemetry a more satisfying and interesting experience. If I am inspired to add more at some stage I certainly will.

I hope you enjoy it!

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 12:14:14 AM »

Update 10/7/2011

- The spacecraft will leave a trail to show the player where they have already explored. The trail remains if you crash and retry the same level.
- I have also changed the control of the spacecraft by adding a 'boost' button [hold Ctrl].
- Permadeath. When you crash disconnection if now permanent. You have to press [Enter] to return to the title screen and [Enter] again to reconnect to try the same level again.

I think these simple additions make Telemetry a more satisfying and interesting experience. If I am inspired to add more at some stage I certainly will.

I hope you enjoy it!

I think you're right, It feels like you're actually mapping asteroids now. It would be cool to see the crashed pods littering the asteroid :D

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 03:04:15 AM »

awesome, way more enjoyable!

agree it might be nice to see either crashed pods stay or the X from their death position

other thoughts:

I'd love to be able to see a little map of my exploits, maybe when you die? (I mean, only the trails from your ship, but from a distance) So you can see the map you've created, maybe even plan your next route.

Also maybe a way to complete an asteroid- say, map out 80% of it (or whatever % based on intended difficulty / playtime)

Could start the game on a very small asteroid (lower gravity and less space to explore) then begin to crank them up in size to increase the complexity of the player's task

I don't know if you've tried it but I'd be interested to see what happens if you place the follow trail based on time rather than distance, so x milliseconds trail is placed. Maybe also vary the size of the trail / shape based on ship speed. In this way you could also map out the tricky areas traverse because you'll travel much slower in very tight areas. If you were using your trails as a map this is very useful info and helps your further exploration

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. Some interesting ideas. I'll definitely add crashed out pods to the 'to do' list.

I already had a feature where you could see your 'map' on the title screen after having flown around an asteroid but removed it because it just looked like a crap scribble. I'll go back and see what I can do with it.

To be continued...

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic