Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 10:25:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDead Sea Skulls
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dead Sea Skulls  (Read 2068 times)
Stib
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:12:44 AM »

Quick Description:
  • SmashTV style Action Shooter
  • Day/Night Cycle. Day for building defenses, Night for fighting
  • Magic based Wizard
  • 4 Spells Currently. Boxes, "Mines", and Lightning Orbs for defense. "Fireflys" for offense.
  • 2 Levels so far. More to come
  • Tutorial included
  • Made with Unity3d Pro
  • Uses Deferred Lighting
  • Currently Beta
  • Adjustable Resolution
  • Customizable Key mapping

DSS was inspired mostly by BoxHead Rooms as well as other games. There are plenty of bugs to be found but what I need is feedback on the gameplay and fun factor. I plan on adding more spells (10-20) which could change the game drastically but I would love some feedback on what I have. Here are some questions.

Questionnaire:

1. Was any part of the game confusing or frustrating? If so which parts and why.
2. Was the game too easy or did it challenge you?
3. What did you enjoy most?
4. What did you enjoy least?
5. If this were your game, what would you change to make it better?
6. Do you have any extra comments?

I look forward to reading everyone's input. Thanks  Smiley

P.S. Don't let the agreement scare you. It just says you are testing for me.
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:02:44 PM »

1- couple things- first it seems really inconsistent when the enemies are going to break the boxes you place. for a while I thought they weren't going to at all, until I noticed some boxes broken. but I still had hordes pressed up against boxes which held them away

second, I found If I tried placing a lightning trap underneath skeletons it took the power away but didn't set the trap. that was annoying!

2- too easy. I think it's fine to start at that difficulty, but it takes way too long to ramp up imo. this could be compounded by the boxes not getting attacked though

3- the electro trap is by far the most enjoyable, since you've got some nice ragdoll in there.
it might be fun to have a variant which you need to set off manually somehow to ensure maximum damage

4- the slow difficulty curve. I played into level 2 and never felt in danger of dying.
I think boxes should cost more energy because I was able to build basically a fort and pick skeletons off at leisure until daybreak. also that EULA is kinda silly

5- if it was my game I'd beef up the feel of the basic gun, feels sort of peashootery right now. maybe add a charge-up blast, or some way to vary up the basic shooting

6- emm, I guess I think the firefly 'life' should be based on it's ammo not time. so it only dies once its fired x shots. also make each level shorter. if I could suggest an exercise for you, play some arcade games and try get some of their 'punchiness' into your design, it's all a bit clean at the moment.

keep on truckin'!

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Frank Griffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »

Once I killed about 5000 points of skeletons then the game was pretty much impossible.  Instead of numbers making it hard, varying types of enemies would be better.
Game play was good.
Make boxes and other items show that they are about to die.
A clear line or something to know the exact border would be nice.
The orientation made it harder to fight things that were coming from below you.
I played for 20 minutes so I think it has good fun potential.
Stib
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:39:15 PM »

Hey Frank and Rich,

Thank you for the feedback and have made some changes already.

1- couple things- first it seems really inconsistent when the enemies are going to break the boxes you place. for a while I thought they weren't going to at all, until I noticed some boxes broken. but I still had hordes pressed up against boxes which held them away

I see what you are saying. I'm thinking of making boxes much tougher and having skeletons always attack. This part of the skeleton behavior has been difficult because they tend to focus on boxes when they should be chasing the player. I'll work on it.

second, I found If I tried placing a lightning trap underneath skeletons it took the power away but didn't set the trap. that was annoying!

Definately a bug lol. I will fix it Smiley

2- too easy. I think it's fine to start at that difficulty, but it takes way too long to ramp up imo. this could be compounded by the boxes not getting attacked though

4- the slow difficulty curve. I played into level 2 and never felt in danger of dying.
I think boxes should cost more energy because I was able to build basically a fort and pick skeletons off at leisure until daybreak.

Frank said it was too tough. I think the boxes are the difference. I'm planning on making them more expensive (like you suggested) and adjusting skeleton numbers.

5- if it was my game I'd beef up the feel of the basic gun, feels sort of peashootery right now. maybe add a charge-up blast, or some way to vary up the basic shooting

I agree it is peashootery lol. I plan on introducing some more heavy hitting weapons soon.

Instead of numbers making it hard, varying types of enemies would be better.

You are totally right and I thought the Red skeleton type was built into the release I gave you. Red's are much tougher. I may have made a mistake there.

Make boxes and other items show that they are about to die.

I plan on making the boxes crack and then shatter when broken. It may take a bit but I plan on adding this feature. Good idea.

A clear line or something to know the exact border would be nice.

I'm having a littler harder time with this one. I thought I would try to use the trees to show you the edge of the map. Any ideas on how I could do this effectively??

The orientation made it harder to fight things that were coming from below you.

If this is a big problem I could make the player spin instantly to face the target. I've seen other games do this...Spiral Knights.

I played for 20 minutes so I think it has good fun potential.

That's encouraging thank you Smiley

You guys Rock. I appreciate the help  Gentleman

Frank Griffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:27:05 PM »

The red skeleton was there but he behaved like the other skeleton.  A monster that jumps or flys or something is what I was after.  Some different type of AI.  I noticed that I could use boxes to finish the levels but if I actually foght them the game seemed to produce more and more skeletons faster and faster.  Is there logic that is based on how many skeletons have been killed to determine the rate they are spawned in the future?

The tutorial as very good too.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic