Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411561 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 04:56:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Island (Adventure Platformer)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: The Island (Adventure Platformer)  (Read 34691 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2011, 05:09:00 AM »

Looks fantastic!

Theophilus
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2011, 06:59:47 AM »

Can't wait to see this puppy finished. Also, your cutscene post on page 7 was great.
MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »

Hello again! I've got a new build, if you want to try it.

Load up the save to start at the entrance of the cave, or start a new game if you'd like!

Download

Notes
  • The Dungeon is still under construction.
  • The dungeon is effectively as far as the pictured boss.
  • I'm using several placeholder musics, as I am as musically talented as a wet towel. Try to guess the sources of them all!
  • You can still check out the Debug Room by pressed END on the main menu in the title screen.
MaloEspada
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2011, 06:28:16 PM »

wow. the new content is PRETTY GOOD! congrats on that! it's incredibly polished. AND TALKING HAIR?! haha.

the boss itself is really annoying, imo. you need to kill too many minions, and it's sorta hard to aim the boss towards the spikes. i thought the battle took way longer than it should...

also! nice nintendo cameos, haha.

edit: upon looking at it closer: the doctor's crown, too?!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:02:14 PM by rdein » Logged
sfried
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »

I'm playing this game right now! I love how everything is so utterly and delightfully contrived! And the sprite animation.... Tears of Joy

(Finally beat the boss: Just to let you know, the camera is excellent as well. I hardly noticed it during the boss fight, but the forwarned tracking is really, really helpful for those annoying critters.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:25:11 AM by sfried » Logged
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2011, 02:56:27 PM »

Just played the demo as well and I agree with everything Ein said.
Realllly great but that boss is incredibly annoying.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »

Only marginally incredibly annoying, methinks. It could probably do with a reduction of mooks that need killing before it strikes.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2011, 03:49:42 AM »

REALLY lovely and smooth. Although is there a duck button? Those chicken-headed spikes are really cheap (cheep! haha!) otherwise.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2011, 04:45:51 AM »

I can't try the demo at work, but from the screenshots and everything this looks super awesome.

sfried
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2011, 06:31:27 AM »

Actually, I thought the initial number of mooks before the first attack was okay. It's every successive attempt after you fail to lure its tongue on the pit that seems annoying, since you have to go through a whole wave of them again.

I propose every 2 mooks after a failed strike. When it reaches the second phase, make it spit out 6 mooks once again and then attempt to hit you with only two goons for each failed attempt.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2011, 09:10:39 AM »

I murdered so much of its babies.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »

Only marginally incredibly annoying, methinks. It could probably do with a reduction of mooks that need killing before it strikes.
Actually, I thought the initial number of mooks before the first attack was okay. It's every successive attempt after you fail to lure its tongue on the pit that seems annoying, since you have to go through a whole wave of them again.

I propose every 2 mooks after a failed strike. When it reaches the second phase, make it spit out 6 mooks once again and then attempt to hit you with only two goons for each failed attempt.

I'll take that into mind and try what sfried suggested.
BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »

Oh my god

This is too good

TOO GOOD
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2011, 06:19:09 AM »

At the moment my only nitpick is that it's very very easy to accidentally both hurt the enemy and yourself when stomping them. Also in the boss I didn't realize the 'puzzle' because the jumping enemies didn't get hurt by the spikes, which made me assume neither does the boss. I'm not sure how that could be helped, though.

Otherwise immensely cool all around!

sfried
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2011, 07:19:03 PM »

Where's the new demo Marty?

This is heavy...
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »

I thought the boss was like that as well, but then I got extremely good at killing the hoppers almost as soon as they appeared, which would make only two between attacks seem like too few. Aiming the boss was, however, too difficult, and the only way I managed was to jump into the spikes and stand there for a second until he locked on before jumping out of the way. Which was made possible and easy by getting so many health pickups from the minions. I also think one more move for the boss would add a great deal, like perhaps coming down to hop around himself or something? Also maybe the tongue should be more threatening when it misses the spikes? like perhaps it tears up a boulder from the ground and flings it at you or something? At the moment it seems too easy to avoid entirely, and there's pretty much no threat until he starts spawning those little guys again.

Everything else is very pretty and incredibly polished.

Qqwy
Level 1

To who might ever read this: I love you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »

Since this was the first time that I saw the project, I decided to play trough the game from the beginning. My notes:
-I think the character moves too slowly in the beginning of the game. Of course you cannot jump very high (he gets that power from the strange diamond later on?) but I tought his left/right movement was painstakingly slow.
-The cutscenes are fun, I like the different characters so far.
-I love having an extreme amount of money, even tough it is only for a short time.
-The village where you have to get the passes still seems extremely empty, it feels strange that you cannot enter any other houses. I guess you will be adding some insides with NPC's later on?
-I really like how you chase after the thief on the island, and end up falling down and swallowing the diamond.
-I was confused by the room with the wheel with candles. I guess there is something that will be added there? The switch did nothing. Also, I was confused about where I had to go to, first choosing the wrong arrow wich did nothing, then entering the right one, going down below, finding a closed door, stepping on the star switch going back up(I tought some door might have been unlocked), finding that nothing had changed. Killing all the enemies, getting the new diamond, going back down again and continuing. Those chicken blades or whatever they are called are annoying. There's simply too much of them.
-I did not know how to beat the boss. I tried to jump on top of his tongue, but nothing happened. I tried to jump on top of the minions he spit out to get on top of himself, but nothing happend. It only was after I came back here that I found out that you need to make his tongue hit the spikes. My suggestion is to add a small cutscéne that shows that the boss' tongue is vulnerable to spikes.(i.e., he tries to take in the boy, boy jumps away, he hits the spikes, he flinches. Start battle).

But in all, very nice game! I really like the art and it blends together very well. I love the animations of the boy(the scarf =3) and the different enemies as well. Good job! I will be watching this closely.

~Qqwy

Ř̺͈̮ͬͣ͑͂͊̐a̲͈̲̩̫͍̟̕i̪̪̩̼̩̊̽ͫn̴b̗̠͈̯̲͡ͅo̥̤͓̥̩̾͐ẅ̺́͢ ̴̙̑̍̅o̰̹͙̻̭̘̅͌͐̾ͅf̖̖͖͍̽̅̉͡ ͓̱͓͔̖̣̗ͭC̽҉̗̼̳̖͇̳h̺͕͠a̵̾ͤ͆́́o̼̙͖͎͍̳̅̿ͣs͓̒̌̀  FOCUS-Bytebeat
MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »

Hello again! I've been busy writing puns doing College related things.

I've been looking at ways to improve the Popper Papa boss as well.
sfried
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »

Any new demo with this preview? The art has become noticably more...detailed.
MartyMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2011, 02:46:07 PM »

Any new demo with this preview? The art has become noticably more...detailed.

Unfortunately, not yet. Hopefully sometime soon though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic