Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 03:52:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGreen Harmony (Online tank game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Green Harmony (Online tank game)  (Read 405 times)
Aedion
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »

Fair warning: This will involve a lot of programmer art and bad jokes, but I'll be documenting the development of my online game. If you're interested in that, great.

It's not much to look at. I started work on the client. Progress is slow because I want to make this game as secure as possible, so I have to design it a certain way. The only data players can send will be their commands and the server will only send them data they need to know. All will be done on the server, and simulated on the client.

The good part is that maphacks become impossible. The bad is that this means if a player pops out in front of another, the ambushed player has to create a new instance and receive a new set of packets. It then gets destroyed as soon as it's out of the player's sight range. All this work has to be done on the server for each player. I'll likely have to recode the server in a faster language later on. (I think this is called O(n*n) scaling)

Code:
testObj = spawnDummy();
iniDummy(testObj,5,10,0,90, 300,200);
commandDummy(testObj,'up');
commandDummy(testObj,'down');
failrate
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »

The gameplay as displayed and the description of your server-authoritative implementation remind me very much of one of my favorite games, Tank Bolo.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic