Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:50:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGoldspace (TopDown Space Crawl)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: Goldspace (TopDown Space Crawl)  (Read 27895 times)
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »

Thanks!
I agree ist spamming.
I have to see if it will be too much work to get it right.

Whats your thought? Is fighting necessary at all?

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2016, 10:50:54 AM »

Honestly, I don't know if it fits to your project. Maybe you already have enough work with the rest of the game, adding another "game" is a lot of work. In my project, every phase is just a variation of the core gameplay. Here you make something completely different, and balancing it might be a lot of work. Your call! Or keep it to the end, and see if you still have energy when the rest of the game will be done.

Keep up!

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »

Thanks!
I have similar thoughts!
Greets

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2016, 08:09:05 AM »

Working on the new shop!
Gimmi all those upgrades....so much fun Smiley

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »

So lovely if you turn 6 pages of code you did a year ago into a few lines and it works even smoother Smiley

Meanwhile testing the new flamer and weapon handling system:

Bahototh
Level 1

Design, Pixels & Art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2016, 11:01:42 AM »

Wow again. So much creative stuff to look at!
Like the light shadow effect around him.

I'd still like some more contrast for walls though, a little darker shadows or more "edge" (in colors)?

-----------------------------------------------------
"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." ~Charles Horton Cooley
---------------------------------------------------
[Thy Sword] https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48380.0
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »

Thanks!
Yes makes sense.

Testing the new shop.
Text still messed up but it fully works now:

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2016, 01:53:19 AM »

First sketch for the contract UI:

How is it embedded into the game?
Those contracts act as fun missions which will give you more loot to get better gear to proceed in the story.

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2016, 02:23:09 AM »

Interesting take on the whole "side quest vs main quest". You force the player into making mission and getting adapted gear before letting them do the main mission, which is a way to make sure the story will flow well. On the other hand, why not letting the player experience with the difficulty, and present him the option to make side mission to gear up if things are to harsh? Or simply warn him, considering you know if he's under geared.

I replay Morrowind, and it's something that happen when you do the main quest. It's all fake, but Caïus tells you between mission "go blend in the world by doing some work for guilds, buy you a scroll or a piece of equipment before I give you your new orders. Here buddy, take those 100 drakes." He doesn't know if you are fitted for the next part or not, and Morrowind being such an unbalanced game, the level alone means little. But it looks like it, and encourage the player to go make a few sidequest to boost up their character, and their confidence.

But if you can tell when the player is ready or not, why not blending this fact in the narrative? Leaving the opportunity to the player to fail, or to win against bad odds. Or, if he's really not that good at the game or lack confidence, grinding a bit more to buy the "easy mode".

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2016, 02:32:09 AM »

Thanks for the comment.

Thats actually what i had in mind.
I just want to have sometimes "requirements" like "you need shield level 10" to do that story mission. But just view times. I will experiment with this but i also prefer "let the player fail/inform the player" over "let the player not play".

I guess this is more accurate:

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:12:29 AM by Bombini » Logged

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »

Testing a new own ship for you as a pirate with more space for weapon rack and shop:

Old ship:

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2016, 06:19:18 AM »

Hi guys,

i need your opinion!
I got contacted by a graphic artist who is interested in revamping Space Pirate.
Here is a sample. Let me know what you think:

Original:

Revamp:

Please let me know!

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2016, 06:43:50 AM »

Hey! I've been lurking on your thread for a while and I have to say the game looks great. I much prefer your chunky pixel art to the more refined stuff though (it's lovely art, just not my preferred look).

mleta20
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2016, 09:28:27 AM »

I love the art style, very cool! How has movement with the WASD keys been working for you in combination with arrow key shooting? seems a little wonky to me (I haven't played it so I have no idea). Have you looked at aiming with the mouse? Similar to how Nuclear Throne does it.

Champlain College Senior. Lead Producer for the game, Super Sky Mech. Check us out on Twitter.

@SuperSkyMech
Bahototh
Level 1

Design, Pixels & Art

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2016, 09:33:29 AM »

Like the old retro look better also!
The new graphics are nice for sure, but I'm a retro nut.

Also, I like the wasd + arrow shooting, gives it a limited sorta retro feel.

I think I'd be more interested in the old look if I saw it in stores!

Keep it up!

-----------------------------------------------------
"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." ~Charles Horton Cooley
---------------------------------------------------
[Thy Sword] https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48380.0
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2016, 10:41:06 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Reg controls:
I will stick to "wasd + arrow shooting".
It works fine on gamepad and you can change keys.
You could argue that aiming with a mouse is more precise but the current level design does not need it.

Cheers!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2016, 11:26:11 PM »

I prefer the revamp, although I don't like the choice of perspective for the objects (like the barrels). It's easier on the eyes imho as I can tell what is a wall/passage much better. To me both versions look very retro Tongue

Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2016, 11:34:39 PM »

I'm in two minds about the graphics.

On one hand the, let's call them early 8-bit graphics, look very clean but on the other hand this style has become increasingly popular and it's hard to get a leg up in comparison to the hundreds of games that use it.

I mean, you just need to look at the sprite sets by Oryx and how many games they have been used in:

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8970.0

Your characters look very similar to that. I believe they might even be taken from the set, correct? At least the player character. Update: OK, I can see now that the sprites were definitely taken from Oryx' sets. One more reason to go for the custom looks, in my eyes.

The 16-bit look allows for far more unique styling and I think it has higher acceptance among modern gamers. This could be an advantage if you want to successfully commercialize the game. Plus the artist seems to know what he/she is doing. I would like to see what he/she would come up with for the character sprites - this would be the real make or break deal to me.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 11:40:00 PM by Lim-Dul » Logged

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2016, 03:30:17 AM »

The new graphics are a massive improvement over the old set. By a long, long way. Get that artist on board ASAP. You won't regret it.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »

Hi guys,

i need your opinion!
I got contacted by a graphic artist who is interested in revamping Space Pirate.
Here is a sample. Let me know what you think:

Original:

Revamp:

Please let me know!
In a way I like the clean, simplistic approach of the first one.  The second one has more details and might work better (or more people would like it) but as @marcgfx mentioned, certain features look off.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic