Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411629 Posts in 69392 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 01:10:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGhost Song: Atmospheric sci fi 2D -- Up; new 25 minute gameplay video
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Song: Atmospheric sci fi 2D -- Up; new 25 minute gameplay video  (Read 51747 times)
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2014, 11:47:34 AM »

game is great. a bit short-ish, if you're doing a straight (hahahaha) romp through, but there's plenty of secrets to discover behind.

I still have no idea where that neogaf symbol is, and I feel like I've exhausted every nook and cranny Who, Me?

I'm keeping the bug posts in steam forums, so they're all in one place, but I have to say, for an early beta, this is pretty polished and bug-free. I've seen way more bugs in supposedly final releases.

thanks. so did you hit the roadblock?

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »

This looks awesome!

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »

game is great. a bit short-ish, if you're doing a straight (hahahaha) romp through, but there's plenty of secrets to discover behind.

I still have no idea where that neogaf symbol is, and I feel like I've exhausted every nook and cranny Who, Me?

I'm keeping the bug posts in steam forums, so they're all in one place, but I have to say, for an early beta, this is pretty polished and bug-free. I've seen way more bugs in supposedly final releases.

thanks. so did you hit the roadblock?

yeah, I'm the one who also vandalized the roadblock and removed it entirely. but I don't want to use the powers of vandalism to discover legitimate secrets Sad
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2014, 02:44:05 PM »

thanks guys -- and I have a feeling you vandalized it by changing an image out, aka it wasnt actually removed. :p in any case I don't really enjoy it when people try to change the game files, that may be my own problem though.

regarding the neogaf symbol, I'll drop a hint if you'd like -- especially since skab already found it (and he really does deserves the win since he tried ALL DAY and found it on his own) -- you need the jellybeans and check around the second map fragment cannister.

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »

yeah, hacking into the game's guts that way especially for such a story-driven experience is really not optimal. so I sure hope stencyl has alternatives to raw .xml, 'cause I actually merely edited a couple of lines of xml here and there (I didn't touch the graphics at all), and suddenly droid doors were open, temporary gates were removed, and areas heavily under construction were available to my curious eye. I'll keep their (non-existent) secrets to myself.

and that is a fine hint, will take a look there tomorrow ^^
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »

FYI, because the assets float in open folders, I actually removed a lot of graphics from the beta project so they wouldn't be floating around yet.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »

maybe im just dumb

i kept getting stuck in areas i couldnt jump out of. couldnt find the dash. couldnt find any upgrades other than the red cannon.

Sad

but holy hell i love the platform it makes under you as you jump UP into a new room.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2014, 06:53:13 PM »

look for breakable/loose things in the walls or ground or ceiling if you ever think you are stuck. this is often signified by conspicuous moving flowers or a wall patch that looks a bit different from the ones around it.

kingPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2014, 12:46:40 AM »

Played the demo for about an hour, and I haven't finished it yet, but some thoughts (I realize some things might just not be done yet):

• The graphics, audio and overall atmosphere are through the roof! Really amazing stuff!
  • When I play it on my TV Some of the text is a bit to small to read smoothly.
  • When you use something (a flower for example) maybe add a little sound when you click. Because right now it takes a few miliseconds for the UI to pop up, and sometimes you doubt if the click registered
  • When you fire the characters sprite turn dark for a frame. I get that this is in reaction to the flash of the gun, but it feels kinda weird. Maybe have the front of the sprite light up instead of darkening the back?
  • The safe room feels a little sparse Wink
  • It took me a while to figure out how to use the "aim diagonally" button. Maybe because I was using the stick instead of a d-pad or keys, but I always tried aiming at a 45 degree angle while pressing the aim trigger. Which meant I always started to move while aiming. I later found out I just had to aim straight up. But it still feels a little weird. Not sure about this at all, but maybe have your character stand still while pressing the aim trigger, so you can aim in all directions (inc down at an angle) while standing still. Kinda like holding shift in Diablo.
  • You're suppose to be able to dash through those obstacle thingies right? Because sometimes I just died doing that, I think maybe I miss-aimed my dash or something. It feels like you really have a small margin of error when dashing through those spikey things.
  • I love the alien feeling of everything! Not being sure what things do or even are is pretty cool
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2014, 12:57:03 AM »

thanks for the feedback -- I'm maintaining a list of suggestions and some of yours are already on it. in the case of the dash, according to my design intent and what I believe the programming to be, it's not possible to be damaged while in the dash animation. I'm interested in learning if this can actually happen or if people are just ending the dash early and getting clipped at the tail end of it by an enemy/hazard.

here's some changes I just updated with a minute ago. the doorway system has been my focus lately because occasionally people are falling out of the world on transition, and I'm trying very hard to stop this from happening. it's so annoying. XD

Version 1.1.2c

- Adjust more visual stuff to try and make things easier to read

- Removed scanlines overlay

- Made more changes to door code to try and prevent falling out of the world on room changes

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2014, 01:55:50 AM »

This is amazing... the environment, the colours,the overall design, the shaders... absolutely astonishing
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »

This is amazing... the environment, the colours,the overall design, the shaders... absolutely astonishing

thank you!

anyone else wanting to check it out? hit me up. I'm especially trying to look for areas where it may still be possible to fall out of the world by going through doorways. I believe I've reduced this problem, but I need more info.

idTaken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2014, 05:48:19 AM »

Sorry, I have had the flu and haven't been able to really dig into it like I want yet.
I have about an hour on my main rig, but other than not being able to start the game through steam I haven't hit any issues yet.

Thanks for the chance to check it out, and hopefully I will be able to really dig into over the next few days.
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »

Sorry, I have had the flu and haven't been able to really dig into it like I want yet.
I have about an hour on my main rig, but other than not being able to start the game through steam I haven't hit any issues yet.

Thanks for the chance to check it out, and hopefully I will be able to really dig into over the next few days.

you couldn't start it through steam? can you expand on that a bit?

idTaken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2014, 07:51:12 AM »

Originally, whenever I tried to run the game from any of the steam client links my monitors would black out, and only a hard reset would get me back in.  I tried disabling a monitor, then the internet, the virus protections, and finally the firewall before I got tired of rebooting. I just navigated to the games exe manually bypassing steam, and it worked fine.

Last night I tried to reproduce the problem, but once I clicked play in the steam client window it offered me a game update.  After it finished the game started right up.  The game version is the same as before, so I do not know what was going on.  Something seems off with the color ramp shader now though...  I have the old game folder saved, and will compare them later. 

I only had another hour, so I decided to play the game instead worrying about a problem that somehow fixed itself.  I played long enough to find the frustrating (I wanted to see what was up there...) ceiling block beta end point, two special weapons, the dash and jump upgrades, and a few weapon/health/armor stat upgrade plants.  Throughout the session I was repeatedly moving between doorways while running/jumping/shooting/dashing multiple times before moving on, and never had anything funny happen.

Just saw the tips on finding the neogaf logo (don't know how I missed it, but wall spamming is a bit trying with the weapon ammo cool off), but I feel that is about all that is left in the beta.  Can I destroy the two doors with eyes, and is there anything in the beta to remove the metal doors (the one on the floor is getting to me...)?  Just want to make sure I hit everything, and don't waste to much time trying to get around something that can't be done yet.
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2014, 08:10:57 AM »

Originally, whenever I tried to run the game from any of the steam client links my monitors would black out, and only a hard reset would get me back in.  I tried disabling a monitor, then the internet, the virus protections, and finally the firewall before I got tired of rebooting. I just navigated to the games exe manually bypassing steam, and it worked fine.

Last night I tried to reproduce the problem, but once I clicked play in the steam client window it offered me a game update.  After it finished the game started right up.  The game version is the same as before, so I do not know what was going on.  Something seems off with the color ramp shader now though...  I have the old game folder saved, and will compare them later.  

I only had another hour, so I decided to play the game instead worrying about a problem that somehow fixed itself.  I played long enough to find the frustrating (I wanted to see what was up there...) ceiling block beta end point, two special weapons, the dash and jump upgrades, and a few weapon/health/armor stat upgrade plants.  Throughout the session I was repeatedly moving between doorways while running/jumping/shooting/dashing multiple times before moving on, and never had anything funny happen.

Just saw the tips on finding the neogaf logo (don't know how I missed it, but wall spamming is a bit trying with the weapon ammo cool off), but I feel that is about all that is left in the beta.  Can I destroy the two doors with eyes, and is there anything in the beta to remove the metal doors (the one on the floor is getting to me...)?  Just want to make sure I hit everything, and don't waste to much time trying to get around something that can't be done yet.

thanks for checking it out, glad you had no doorway problems. there are a total of 3 npcs in the beta, 2 weapons, 2 abilities, and  probably like 15 flower upgrades. there's also the path that leads to the neogaf symbol which is deliberately pretty tough.

the beta build essentially makes up the "newb" portion of the game -- shortly after the roadblock you'll end up getting the pet, which allows access through several doorways you couldn't get through before and opens things up a bit.

idTaken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »

That sounds like I found everything but the stuff under the map canister.

OK, I found a door issue...

When you drop down from 36CC to 36E if you immediately walk to the left, and then triple jump back up into 36CC you can materialize in the left wall, and are forced to reset your game.

Can the beetle be destroyed in the demo before it... well you know? 

Very solid game here.  I will be purchasing it.
Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »

I would very most definitely be interested in testing out the beta and providing some feedback. I really like what I see so far!

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »

That sounds like I found everything but the stuff under the map canister.

OK, I found a door issue...

When you drop down from 36CC to 36E if you immediately walk to the left, and then triple jump back up into 36CC you can materialize in the left wall, and are forced to reset your game.

Can the beetle be destroyed in the demo before it... well you know? 

Very solid game here.  I will be purchasing it.

thank you for testing it. Smiley

the doorway problem you found was already ID'd and fixed on my end. re. the beetle, yes, it can be killed, but it must be damaged extensively in the first screen or else it's not vulnerable in the second.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2015, 09:06:51 PM »

here's a sneak peak at my new Ghost Song trailer, "Reborn".

UNLISTED LINK:

This is currently unlisted and unreleased, but you guys can check it out ahead of time if you want! I plan to release it officially along with the next beta update which will put into place many improvements and finally a definite stopping point. XD

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic