Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 12:10:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE  (Read 91474 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »

I've never actually played Soldexus. I'll need to do that some time.

That's not a bad suggestion at all.

thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »

I've never actually played Soldexus. I'll need to do that some time.

That's not a bad suggestion at all.
I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I couldn't help it! I drew a rough draft of the top half of his body. Whether we use him or not, I think I need the practice anyway.

Edit:
Whole body rough draft.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:29:57 PM by Goodbye » Logged
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2010, 02:34:07 AM »

That looks pretty cool. I think it's a little too large though.
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2010, 07:08:26 PM »

I made him shorter, messed around a bit with the colors, and changed the shading on his legs. I tried to make the hand look like it was actually grabbing the sword, but just couldn't do it. I didn't put the sword in this time because it was too short when I tried doing so. If anyone wants to edit it, feel free.

BTW some ideas for his move list:
A:Sword Swipe--simple uppercut stroke, causes moderate damge. Excellent reach.
A>:?
Av:?
A^:?
S:Sword Beam--just like sword swipe except slower and releases energy like in the game.
S>:?
Sv:Parry--when timed properly, allows Ian to avoid any attack.
S^:Wall Run--runs upward as if he was running up the wall
... I know its not much but 1) its been a while since I last played Soldexus and I can't remember all of the moves and 2) I'm probably getting ahead of myself anyway.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:40:05 PM by Goodbye » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2010, 10:04:37 PM »

He's not an approved character at the moment. He's probably appropriate for a support character, but I don't think he's well-known enough for the big leagues.

Feel free to try and convince me otherwise.  Smiley

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2010, 04:04:22 AM »

That's weird. I figured it was well known. When I was one of those annoying youngin's new to freeware games I went around on forums like a junkie asking if anyone had any other suggestions of games like Cave Story. Soldexus popped up every time, along with eternal daughter and LICS. If it's not well known, it definitely ought to be.

Released in 2007. Has 26016 plays on the yoyo website, also has the little 'featured' ribbon, whatever that means. Hard to compare to other games because I can't find similar stats on other games.

It'd be neat to see him as any kind of character, though.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2010, 12:22:23 PM »

Shrug

It's possible that I just missed the news. Still, a quick Google search for Soldexus gets only 8130 hits, while "Eternal Daughter" gets 41100 and "Lyle in Cube Sector" gets 174000. My suspicion is that it's well-known in the Game Maker community and among metroidvania fans, but little-known elsewhere.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »

Fuck yeah Soldexus. That game deserves more recognition.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2010, 06:48:01 PM »

How about flytrap  Who, Me? an annoying random and rare "support" character that run around and  knock back everyone with a water gun without damage (even the summoner Roll Eyes) while barking, the longer he's on the stage the bigger the knockback grow, until we start to hit it and drop his hp to zero. Blink Blink When he die a flying text scroll up "“Miyamoto never had to work for press like this.”"  Well, hello there! The first time you get it you unlock an article in the database about the contreverse surrounded hijack the spelunky interview, ending with some moral about the harshness of taking the indie path (it's a brawl  Big Laff).

Sorry but i will have big lag with sprire contribution >.>

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2010, 07:18:07 PM »

Wha...?  Undecided

Downloading Soldexus now. Let's see what I've been missing.  Smiley

thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2010, 09:08:11 AM »

Hmm...I've beaten the first run-through of Soldexus before, but not the second...I ought to get back to that sometime.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2010, 12:38:55 PM »

I played a bit of Soldexus. Seems like an okay game, but I have a feeling that Ian would be almost identical to Nikujin in terms of his move list.

thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2010, 01:43:16 PM »

I played a bit of Soldexus. Seems like an okay game, but I have a feeling that Ian would be almost identical to Nikujin in terms of his move list.
Yeah, that would probably be true.

I was just thinking, though, what if the characters had taunts?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »

It's been suggested before. The idea is nice, but adding additional animations for every character is more work than it's worth. Maybe for Perfect World Edition.

Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »

...almost identical to Nikujin in terms of his move list.

This gives me an idea (possibly for the Perfect World Edition). For characters that have the same move list, would it be possible to make them alternate "skins" for the same character, as it were? Not that I'm advocating this for Soldexus specifically (I've never heard of it), but just as a general solution to similar problems.
ink.inc
« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »

if you're gonna spend that much time on a whole set of character sprites, said character should have it's own moveset.
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »

I'm sorry to switch the subject (which is kind of off the topic of contributing) but my brother is somewhat of a good programmer and I'm sure he'd love to help. What can he do to contribute?
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »

Yeah, that was what I figured, too. But then, towards the end of the game he does have quite a lot of unique attacks and abilities that Nikujin doesn't have. Charge up attacks and weird magic crap and whatnot. So he could have moves that differ from Nikujin, although wall run and basic A attack would be the same. Plus the quick sword projectile thing that he does would be essentially the same as the shuriken, but probably slower/takes up more space on the screen.

The similarities would be like those between Star Fox/Falco in Brawl.

Still, even if you take him out as a candidate for a player character, it'd be great to see him as a support character! I didn't realize it was that unknown--this game does deserve the recognition.

Also, play through it! It's quite fun.

Got my thoughts out.
Now back to Goodbye's pending programming question.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:52:28 AM by Smithy » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: February 23, 2010, 11:13:02 AM »

I think Ian would make a fine support character.

I'm sorry to switch the subject (which is kind of off the topic of contributing) but my brother is somewhat of a good programmer and I'm sure he'd love to help. What can he do to contribute?
Well, everything is programmed in Game Maker. If he is interested, he can work on programming more characters. Programming is far ahead of graphics, though, so we don't really need more programers. PM me if he's interested.

thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: March 04, 2010, 04:39:04 PM »

Sorry I didn't reply any earlier, but it turns out that my brother is unable to get Gamemaker at college due to complicated circumstances, but he'll be here in about a week or two on spring break and will be able to work with Gamemaker (the program that got first him into programming) on the computer I'm using right now.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic