Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 01:30:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Gamemaker 7
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gamemaker 7  (Read 1208 times)
Codestar
Level 1

One man, one game

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:41:47 PM »

Hi, Use gamemaker 6.1 for all my game dev and I'm wondering if there is any pros and cons to upgrading and using gamemaker 7, especially if I want to make a marketable indie game.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:09:39 PM by Kaikimi » Logged

Check out my current game project:
Mine to the sky
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »

I'm not aware of any real cons involved in upgrading - GM7 was really the equivalent of a GM6.2 so there isn't any major differences.  The pros are rather sparse as well, but you might as well take advantage. 

As far as transferring a work in progress, the only con is some renamed functions might give you 5 minutes of work before your game can run again.  Oh, and if I remember right (this could have been changed between 6 and 6.1) the particle system was redone too, so you'll have to rewrite some particle code if you have any (but the way it works now makes more sense).

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »

GM7's exes are huge, almost 2x the size of the GM6 exes if I'm not mistaken. some people dislike this, but it depends on the person really.

other then that, there's really nothing else "bad" about it. as matt said, transferring a GM6 game to gm7 wouldn't be that difficult, all you have to do is rename some functions, revise the code a tiny bit, etc.

also, kind of a random statement here, but I think they fixed up image manipulation a tiny bit, image rotation doesn't look nearly as ugly as it did in gm6.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:23:07 AM »

I like GM7 a little better, but the changes are mostly pretty minor. The main difference is that GM7 is Vista-compatible.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic