Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 03:55:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsand it was "good" [platforming mayhemisphere]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: and it was "good" [platforming mayhemisphere]  (Read 2225 times)
hewwo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »

so, this is my first devlog, and the first game i think i'm totally going to finish.

you're the first human created by god.    he throws you into an "arena" to test you in many ways.  for each test, you are rewarded, and god is satisfied.  using his multitasking and ambidexterity (amquadexterity?) he creates a planet for you to inhabit.  once you have fulfilled all of his requirements, you (be it male or female) are granted first access to this new planet.  game over.  make babies.  you win.

inspirations: super crate box, wario ware inc, wtf, tower of heaven

gameplay: it's a simple platformer in a premade arena.  the player must survive a series of randomly generated tests in order to satisfy god.  with every test, the player receives experience points that make him/her faster, tougher, etc.  along with these tests, random perks are scattered across the arena that can change how you complete the task.

perks: weapons, special boots, anti gravity, divine intervention, etc.  i've even got more random ones, like turning into stone and (while unable to move) throwing stones across the map.

random tests generate as follows, and are totally not limited to this idea of collecting.  anyway:

(random1)Collect x number of ham while (random2) lava rises and (random3) your speed is decreased.

these random events vary from collecting to killing to dodging to hunting to linking (two objects to one another) to avoiding dangerous objects/enemies (special fruit, snakes), etc.  i've got a list i'm compiling of what i think will be fun stuff.  there will also be tests of patience, like asking the user not to move while a natural disaster is coming close to him/her.  obviously some things won't work together, like collecting and having to stay still, so i'll work out all that stuff.  i'd also love suggestions on further ideas.

graphics:  none yet, just the little running person posted above.  here's an early screenshot mainly for me to test out a platforming engine on.  i've got variable jumping and friction working and the character is fully controllable.  going to be working on some simple tiles, and maybe halving the size of the arena and scaling it all to 2x.

my experience with gamemaker is...there isn't much.  i've actually only been using it for a month on and off, inbetween classes and work.  i'm getting the hang of gml, it's the first language i've ever really learned, and that's probably because the first tutorial wasn't "hello world."  so this devlog should also prove to be a great learning experience for myself.  so far, everyone here's been really helpful with answering my questions.

summer's coming up in a week, so if i'm not updating by then...i fail :[

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »

you're the first human created by god. he throws you into an "arena" to test you in many ways.

Greatest storyline for a game EVER.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »

Looking lovely, actually. I like the little quest given to you in that screenshot, and I love the animation of that character.

hewwo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »

haha thanks guys, i'm working on an update as i type  Hand Any Key

hewwo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »

hey guys, so i uploaded an example of the movement of the game.  i don't know if it's worth a download.  i didn't upload the version in the screenshot because it's still very buggy, and random events aren't yet random.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nfga13bankdp6oa

what's not in the download, but working...somewhat:
- some events actually trigger in real time, while others are just text.
- the lava rises and can kill the player
- starting working on a satisfaction meter for god.  this means that depending on the good deeds you do and the bad deeds, god's satisfaction will rise (granting divine intervention) or fall (smite!).  None of that is working yet, though.

bugs!  it's awesome to actually feel like i'm learning something.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »

After jumping while holding right, the animation stays as the idle animation!
hewwo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »

thanks kitheif, been trying to fix that but i'm not too sure what's wrong  Concerned

the sprite changing is not actually coded, but drag and dropped, so i may need to fix that with sprite_replace().  correct me if i'm wrong though, still a gml noob.

also, here's a quick color test for the first level.  something about it hurts my eyes though.

i'm still working on this, but i always like a stronger visual to get me going through the coding stuff.

t'anks

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:46:34 PM »

Oh wow, that's beautiful!
I suggest setting up a debug text and a private variable that claims the current state of animation, I use this method to help me fix bugs in my code, but yeah drag and drop might be a little different to fix xD
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »

Sweet looking stuff.

I just have to ask, what's that lovely bit of pixel art in your sig?
hewwo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »

dawww thanks guys!  and that signature is an old pixel piece of mine that i've kept a place in my heart for.

Anyway, no new graphical updates because i'm really just trying to get random events to work, and it's a little beyond my scope.  It's easy to know what I want, but harder to execute.

but i'm still working on this!

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 06:46:33 PM »

What sort of random events? maybe we can be of assistance  Cool
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »

Mockup hurting your eyes? Probably the awesomeness radiating from it.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 03:24:08 PM »

i love the mockup, but i can definitely see how it might be hurting your eyes. the color of the sky looks like it might be a little too dark, try brightening it up a bit and see if that works. kind of like this.

the clouds are gone because i couldn't edit them with the background to go with the new brightness easily, but you get the point.
farcodev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »

cool project, looking forward on it
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic