Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:46:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThrones of Agnor - The MMO roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Thrones of Agnor - The MMO roguelike  (Read 2997 times)
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2011, 09:21:22 AM »

I have a server at home I haven't turned on in a long time, and since I've had this idea for a online roguelike brewing for quite a few months, I decided to start working on it.
No name yet, but I already have the basic engine running and a few pages of what I could call a game design doc.

To sum up, it's a online roguelike set in a persistent world.
I want to take the basic principles of the roguelikes (permadeath, turn based combat,dungeons etc..) and put them in a persistent world where each character has the freedom to be what he wants. Be it a petty thief, a merchant, a warrior, a blacksmith etc.. Everything in order to have a dynamic world and where the economy is ran by the players.
I'm also trying to make it as accessible as possible, while still using ASCII characters instead of tiles I don't want things to get too abstract and I want to make you don't need to go read tutorials to be able to play the game, even if you never tried a roguelike before.

That's all for now, if you have ideas or suggestions feel free to post them.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:18:48 AM by MikeDee » Logged
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:45:27 AM »

how will you handle the turn-basedness of roguelikes on such a huge scale? Will it just be real-time?

MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

Only combat will be turn based the rest will be real-time, though still tile based obviously.
Nix
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »

So you enter a private combat-world or something when you encounter enemies?
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »

Exactly. If you are near an enemy or a group of them you will have the choice of trying to evade or fight. You will also be able to challenge other players, either to death or until one gives up. Outside cities you'll still be able to see other players, and whether or not they are fighting. If the other player allows you to, you can join the fight and help him out.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:24:27 PM »

I can see the turn-based fighting working. A player in combat might have a little 'fight' icon over them to show other players they are battling. Perhaps touching a player in combat will let you join their team on the next round of combat.
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 06:28:50 AM »

Perhaps not by touching them, more likely via a specific command. I'll have to try and see if it works and according to the feedback I'll be receiving though.
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »

Progress has been pretty quick this week, most of the game is fully functional, inventory, players interactions, combat system and so on.

Now I want to start adding some content so I can release a small pre-alpha to get some early feedback on the UI and basic contents of the game.

Also, the game just received a name, Thrones of Agnor. I don't know yet if it will be final or not but for the moment it will do.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:51:41 PM by MikeDee » Logged
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »

This sounds quite interesting.
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:19:48 AM »

No news for a while but I've working on it at a pretty fast rate, the first development release is almost ready for release.

Here's a couple of screenshots:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic