Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 07:43:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsvinheim3's unnamed Disgaea-like game
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: vinheim3's unnamed Disgaea-like game  (Read 4000 times)
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 03:53:36 AM »

Day #5

Think I'm going to update this early right now at 7:30pm since I've been programming since like 8am and I'm too tired to do anymore. Point number 2 in ISSUES is important.

Progress today went smoother than something that is like, really smooth.

I realize the quantity of items cannot be seen, but it was for testing purposes and will be shown better when I work on things like Graphics.

Added the following:
+Menu can appear in any corner by changing 2 variables, so this can be customizable by the player. Just something useless I wanted to stick in.

+Implemented inventory system like Aquaria. New items are added to the next slot in your inventory. Old ones increment the quantity of that item in your inventory. Filling all the spaces in your inventory allows you to go to the next page of items.

+Implemented misc objects - Well, just a rock, what's important is how it interacts with inventory items.

+Can now attack guests and enemies (right now, they get killed in one hit) - Making sure that non-Move menu items actually work. Had to modify code involving the movement area to make it flexible to allow you to select the same highlighted tiles for attacking rather than moving.

ISSUES:
* Will later code in dropped items. Dropped items have additional effects. You can drop ore in square and watch it amplify magic. You can throw a fish somewhere and lure a tough enemy from a resource gatherer, etc.

* Thinking about redoing this whole thing from scratch in a few days from now. This whole thing was really just a test of my programming ability, see how far I can go, and if I could put the pseudocode solutions to the games algorithms in code form. Seeing as I could, all the code needs some structure. I feel like the code is 10x more than it would have been if I planned out how everything is going to be tied together. There's a lot of messy crap here and there since I just added code when I needed to implement something without optimizing it. Once I get everything related to the main mechanics done, I'll redo everything, and it should take a few days now that I know how it should be done.

To-do list:
-> Dropping items still hasn't been done

-> Rotation and flattening - I don't like how slow raising and lowering the tile height is. Will add in the ability to flatten everything (lowest tile height) and rotate the grid.

-> Implement Abilities, health and AI to go with those abilities.

-> Have abilities, grids, tile height for all the grid tiles, NPCs, etc, loaded from a file (or better yet, to avoid chance of players finding a way to change the grid and bypassing checksums, etc, just have them written down somewhere neat in the game).

-> Add in defending - if an enemy chooses this, they flash and get protected from death in the current build.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:58:37 AM by vinheim3 » Logged
Titanium
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »

You sir are a patient man.  I've had so many games with sloppy code, that I know I could've made better if I reprogrammed... but I didn't  I'm too lazy.

Well I hope you wrote out a list of all the small mistakes you made last time... you wouldn't want your code structure to get out of wack again.

Please Play My Games.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic