Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411566 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:32:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCube World - Voxel-Based Exploration RPG [WIP]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Author Topic: Cube World - Voxel-Based Exploration RPG [WIP]  (Read 87183 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 02, 2012, 05:10:42 PM »

Jesus Christ this is amazing! I love that rotating minimap and the Simlish-like talking NPCs! Everything has such a lovely feel and atmosphere to it. Seriously, keep up the good work! I hope this project is as successful as it deserves to be!

EDIT: Just checked your blog and saw the massive amount of comments you're getting. I don't think there's any chance of this game not being successful! Grin

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
wollay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2012, 05:14:20 PM »

Wait... frontpage? Wow, awesome! Beer!

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2012, 05:22:58 PM »

You deserved it, cant wait to explore stuff :D
illisid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2012, 05:42:33 PM »

God this looks so awesome. I commented this on your blog post but I'll post it here too:

what are your plans with this game? multiplayer? singleplayer? Story-based and linear, or completely sandbox? Or somewhere in between, like elder scrolls-ish? Whatever you decide, I just want even just a minor demo... this looks so incredibly sweet.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: January 02, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »

I'd like to see some multiplayer action, as well. In fact, I'd plop down $10 for an alpha right now. I mean, right now. Right. NOW. Crazy

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 02, 2012, 06:29:16 PM »

This looks pretty lovely!

I'm a little disappointed that it'll be procedurally generated. The multiplayer helps, but ultimately I feel like some intelligently designed content would be what really makes this take off. Given the voxelly nature of the game, maybe you'd do well to create an editor and let other players develop some dungeons and overworld locations for you to use? I could folks who currently obsess over minecraft building detailed dungeons filled with beautiful decorations and others creating bizarre miniquests and platforming challenges.

Perhaps an easy midway point would be to have the "Campaign" go through a series of key dungeons and bosses, but the overworld is scrambled up procedurally for the purpose of replay value. Have a New Game + feature with scaling difficulty similar to Demon's Souls and I'd be excited.

Otherwise this feels like it'll be a minecraftian sandbox that will be a lot of fun for a few weeks then get really tedious in a hurry.

Part of the fun of Minecraft is returning to the server and seeing what other players have created in your absence. Without that in this game, I feel like it'd get repetitive even faster as you explore the same random zones without any human intervention.

This has a lot of potential! Hope to see a playable demo soon!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 02, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »

Beautiful!

Kapser
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »

I might go against what most people think, but I don't think the game should try to go too far away from Minecraft but further instead.

It has great new things to offer: the graphics are great, and the battle system is more than decent. However, I'm scared that the game design vision doesn't exploit the nature of voxel in terms of gameplay. I like the randomly generated quests idea, but what I'd like to see is really exploring and bumping on an infinity of possible surprises and rewards.
 If it's complex enough and the world is huge, this could leave for a lot of replayability and really make me want to explore forever.

These could fix the limited replayability of Minecraft for the more hardcore gamers that will stop playing after reaching the 'done everything peak', but if all what was great about it is removed, it might feel more like a typical hack and slash mmo than the rich game it could be.

Anyways, I'm sure it will end up a great game and I'll keep an eye on it, but I sure do hope to see some modificable terrains.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »

I'm hoping you will avoid building features, since that's why I will never find a dragon in Minecraft, you build a house, sit there, then what? Leave your home and build another one? Sure, its all fun until you've spent a year building the same house everywhere.
without mining, crafting or building
Thank you  Kiss
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:10:37 AM by kitheif » Logged
MMM103
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »

This looks like just about the best thing ever from the gameplay videos I've seen. VERY promising, take your time finishing and I'm sure this will be one of my favorites. Smiley
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »

I really like where this is headed. Pretty fresh but doused in old-school rpg charm.

bome99
Level 1

Pipes And Mushrooms

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2012, 12:27:07 AM »

looks amazing!!!
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »

this looks more excellent than ever. Will there be indoor/underground/enclosed locations to explore?
edit; just saw that there are castles. Awesome.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:21:22 AM by Xion » Logged

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2012, 02:57:56 AM »

The frontpage brought me here. I've been following your blog for some time now but had no idea you were hanging around these parts as well. Just wanted to say, the game looks really promising, keep up the good work. Hand Thumbs Up Right
Sph!nx
Level 0

Kenneth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2012, 06:37:31 AM »

Wow, this looks really awesome. Looking forward to see more!

Regards,
Kenneth
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2012, 11:19:52 AM »

Whoah, a Minecraft/Infiniminer inspired game that seems to be able to make it on its own!

Was this the one with the early movie of a giant that threw fireballs into the ground?

BUT whyyyyyyyyy of why does it have cookie-cutter MMORPG quests? Kill X foozle and return to me is so boring! Come on, this is single player in a voxel engine. Do some landscaping quests!

Example:

"Please heroes, my farm has dried up. Can you figure out a way to redirect the river to water my crops?"

"Dear heroes, we dug too deep in the cave and monsters are pouring out. Can you please figure out a way to block the tunnel so our miners can safely continue their work?"

"Brave heroes, trolls have blocked the mountain road with stones and are ambushing our caravans. Can you please figure out a way to enable our wagons to reach the other village?"

...and then have each solution to be completely dynamic! Like, blocking off too much tunnels makes the miners mine much less gold and give you less reward and if you don't want to fight the trolls, you can build a new mountain road, which maybe increases the travel time of the caravans causing other issues, but still. This engine seems made for emergent gameplay!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »

I would personally like to see it not be about building - Minecraft does voxel-based building. This should be more about fighting and destruction - about action more-so, I think. Although, eobet's quest ideas do sound interesting. I do agree that the 'kill X and return to me' quests are a little boring.

Entity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 03, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »

Wow, this is looking rather sexy. The untextured look really sets it apart graphically from other cube based games. I also love the focus on the RPG elements, rather than mining. Kiss Toast Right Toast Left Smiley

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »

I would personally like to see it not be about building - Minecraft does voxel-based building. This should be more about fighting and destruction - about action more-so, I think. Although, eobet's quest ideas do sound interesting. I do agree that the 'kill X and return to me' quests are a little boring.

Why the hell does an RPG need to have stupid quests where all you do is go around doing menial tasks that other people should be doing. If this is an action-RPG why should he need to help the dude fill up his pond again? It makes no sense. Who is this hero? What is his role? What are his skills? Do people need his skills? Then you come up with interesting situations to take advantage of those skills. Cool quests have cool and interesting stories that play into the content of such. It is a quest after all, not a menial, boring chore.

I apologize the rant, wollay, but hopefully it'll contain some sort of insight.
Also, my anger was not directed at you, SolarLune, but rather at the cookiecutter trend of RPGs.

[EDIT]
By the way I love what I see. You create an awesome atmosphere. The animations and visual effects are also great, I'd say. They compliment the game well.
One thing that would be neat would be a prefab system of some sort. Build prefabs and they can be injected into your randomly generated levels. You could even go a step further and release the tools for anyone to use, hook it up to an online database, and let the content explosion begin.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:55:50 PM by Jakman4242 » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »

I apologize the rant, but hopefully it'll contain some sort of insight.
Also, my anger was not directed at you, SolarLune, but rather at the cookiecutter trend of RPGs.

Nah, it's cool, I get you. You're right that the quests could be less chore-based and more story and skill-based - quests that play into the specific role of the hero. It'd be interesting if the quests changed depending on what type of hero you are. For example, a swordsman's quest could be to participate in a gladiator's quest, while an archer could direct an ambush on a flying enemy (distance attacks).

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic