Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 08:45:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMusic Challenge 4: The Spookening
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Music Challenge 4: The Spookening  (Read 7888 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 05:17:25 AM »

Today's the day! Hurry up and submit anything you've got waiting in the wings. I'll decide the winner tomorrow. Smiley

Biggerfish
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 06:45:54 AM »

Urp. I meant to post this yesterday when I'd finished it.

http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=download&fileid=91933
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 09:06:11 AM »

Heres meh tune "The Pumpkins Gone Bad" First half is a spooky build up to a groovin Ghosteastra :D

http://senduit.com/cacb97

its only up for a week, casue Ive nowhere to host it Tongue

This tune is great. I also like the atmosphere in 0rel's sketch #2... Completely forgot about the last challenge, barely caught this one. Good idea for a compo Smiley

Compound - Boo Box

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 09:30:40 AM »

Hahahaha! I love "Boo Box." It made me crack a big goofy grin once the bass clarinets started doing their "oompah oompah" thing. Grin

pgil
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 09:57:47 AM »

Last minute entry time!

Ghost Waltz

Kind of rushed it, so there's no ending. I like the melody though.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »

I like it! No ending is okay, so long as it loops, which this one does pretty well. Smiley

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 04:51:50 PM »

Okay, lots of good entries, but I think compound takes the win here with "Boo Box." It's not the scariest track, but it is the most interesting as far as composition and exploring a musical theme. Congrats!

Hand Clap Grin

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 06:09:18 AM »

Compounds is very nice Smiley The intro is Danny Elfman esque, something to be proud of, the rest of it has an elfman flavour as well, really nice work.

Hand Any Key WIN BUTTON ACTIVATED!

compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »

Cheers guys, appreciate the thoughts. And thanks Craig Stern for running a nice challenge  Gentleman

Boo is a bit of a Elfman/Williams hybrid, a really stripped down and hokey parody, sorta. Just watched Hook recently after not having seen it in a very long time, hence the title 'Boo Box.' Shit was bangerang. Also, the cheeky Halloween-themed vinyl LP influence is pretty apparent. I miss those days...

Anybody got any ideas for what the next challenge should be? I'm thinking maybe ripping the Assemblee compo and doing the same thing, where we all make samples and are restricted to use only those samples in our compositions and nothing else. One of those mash-up deals, but while it's trendy. And then maybe you could submit your tune(s) to Assemblee.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »

Interesting idea! I'd be willing to give that a try, though I can't promise that I'll be able to contribute very many useful samples.

compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 05:35:33 PM »

Well, that's where the challenge part comes in. A challenge to make good samples, a challenge to make a good composition Well, hello there!

But this is completely theoretical at the moment. There's lots of other stuff that could be done. I think.
pgil
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 06:20:01 PM »

It's a cool idea. I'd definitely contribute some samples.
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 08:11:02 AM »

Anyone got any other ideas they'd like to pitch? This is kind of scary thing.

Think we should just do this? Not sure what the rules/criteria could be... There are lot of different ways to go about doing this. I like the idea of one-shot multisamples allowed for any tonal/musical/melodic notes and rhythmic material like drums and percussion must be in a loop, and you could create these loops with any sounds you wanted.
Kekskiller
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 02:02:31 PM »

Anyone got any other ideas they'd like to pitch? This is kind of scary thing.
elevator music (aka muzak)
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 02:02:42 AM »

Elevator music lol, genius.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »

Isn't muzak kinda generic and cheesy by definition? Personally, I'd rather have a competition theme that inspires me to write something original and interesting.

What about a competition where you have to incorporate real-life sounds that you record yourself into your song? It's a little bit like the Assemblee knock-off idea, but I think it would be a lot easier to manage. Just a thought.

Kekskiller
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 09:38:21 AM »

Personally, I'd rather have a competition theme that inspires me to write something original and interesting.

What about a competition where you have to incorporate real-life sounds that you record yourself into your song?

To be honest, the muzak theme inspires me much more than... real life recordings.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 10:13:53 AM »

To be honest, the muzak theme inspires me much more than... real life recordings.

Same.

compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »

Muzak is a great idea, I can say that would be challenging and interesting for me. Real life recordings is not bad, either. I'd be up for giving that one a go.

Any lurkers/participants out there care to give your thoughts? Mash-up/Assemblee, Muzak, Real Life Recordings? They all sound like solid themes to me.
pgil
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 04:38:29 PM »

I still like the assemblee idea best. But really, they all sound like they'd be fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic