Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411540 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 01:40:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Avalanche - Proceedural Climbing Marshmellow Platformer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Super Avalanche - Proceedural Climbing Marshmellow Platformer  (Read 3419 times)
beastly
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2013, 06:49:12 PM »

Hey everyone!

Super Avalanche is a colorful, fun, and demanding procedurally generated platformer.

I just finished the first beta version and I could use as much feedback as I can get.

If anyone would be willing to test it please let me know and I'll get you a free copy.

It's PC only, sorry.

To get a test copy:

1.) Ask here or PM me for a promo code

2.) Visit www.SuperAvalanche.com

3.) Click the buy button

4.) Enter the promo code in the coupon box

5.) Enjoy your free game!

Questions for beta testers:

1.) How long did you play for?

2.) How long do you think you could spend playing this game before you got tired of it?

3.) Would you change anything about this game? If yes then what?

4.) Did you encounter any bugs?

5.) Was anything confusing or difficult?

6.) Do you think $7.99 is a fair price for this game? If not, what would it take to make it worth that price?

7.) Any additional thoughts or comments?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:01:19 AM by beastly » Logged

Latest updates on projects I'm working on!
waludi
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »

I'll test it, send over a code! :D
beastly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 03:13:19 AM »

I'll test it, send over a code! :D

Code sent!

Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 04:12:22 AM »

Your game looks interesting, send me a code and I'll try and write a few lines of feedback!
waludi
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:31:55 AM »

About 20 minutes.

2.) How long do you think you could spend playing this game before you got tired of it?

Same as above: I ended up quitting because it was too challenging.

The tutorial was confusing. To be precise: it was really good, but it didn't prepare me for the procedural concept that the game actually was. From the tutorial, I thought the whole game would consist of premade levels, which was exciting. To eliminate the confusion, the tutorial probably shouldn't be premade, and function similar to endless mode. I guess you could make the tutorial scripted though so it drops the same blocks the same way each time, so you can tutorialize it more easily.

The font definitely needs to be improved. It is hard to read: it seems too pixelated. It is especially evident when you use it for small-sized instructions, but it applies to the bigger usages too. It really brings down the level of polish of the game, even though everything else is very good.

4.) Did you encounter any bugs?

Nope.

5.) Was anything confusing or difficult?

The dash cape seems to be really difficult to control. It seems like it was too responsive: my first arrow key tap would initiate the dash instead of the second, perhaps because I was holding it before.

The endless mode due to the tutorial issue I mentioned earlier. I had no idea lava would start rising, or that blocks would fall.

Also, it's kind of weird that you call it "Endless Mode", even though it's the only mode available. Unless you plan to make other modes, which would be great.

Getting new power-ups is a bit chaotic, since you're being pressured by lava, and most likely have no idea how it works/controls. Maybe make a more detailed pop-up or practice mode where you can test out power-up controls or something?

6.) Do you think $7.99 is a fair price for this game? If not, what would it take to make it worth that price?

I don't know... it's only at version 0.11 isn't it? Tongue

The procedural generation mode is fun, but having pre-made levels seem to have huge untapped potential that you should look into. Maybe even some sort of adventure/story mode. When I was playing the tutorial, just being able to test around the physics at my own pace, rather than being pressured by lava, was really fun. You've already got the physics and most of the structure. If it had that, I would think that it would be a great price for the game.

It is too difficult in the beginning! You should really to try make it as easy as possible in the beginning, to get the player hooked for a few minutes. Slow down the lava and slowly increase its speed, add more obstacles/possibility for challenges in increments, like 100 ft or 250 ft. The longer you make it easy, the longer you can get them to play! Of course, if it is too easy, then they may quit, so you have to strike a balance. Personally I stopped playing because I kept dying too easily.

Another suggestion is to add more practical bonuses to start with that the player can buy with coins. Make it possible to pay for power-ups either permanently or per-game. So the more the player plays the game, the more they feel they can progress higher despite failing, because they may have obtained coins to help them reach higher.

Have a look at other proven, popular procedural games like Temple Run or Tiny Wings and see how they do things.

Oh, and what is with the logo? It's looks like too much like a graphical bug, even though on closer inspection it's not. Similar to the font issue, you should try to make it more clear/readable!

Overall, it is really great. Great music, animation, graphic and aesthetics. The trailer seems to show many more awesome obstacles and gameplay, though I wish I could reach it Tongue. I'll definitely give it another go.

beastly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »

Your game looks interesting, send me a code and I'll try and write a few lines of feedback!

Your code has been sent.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »

I wouldn't mind helping test it out.

beastly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 01:23:04 AM »

@Waludi
: Thanks for playing and giving such thorough feedback.

I took your criticism and changed a few things. I made the beginning area much more forgiving. The lava rises much slower in the beginning now which hopefully gives new players enough time to acclimate. I am also planning to add new items soon. These items will be provide the player with a permanent advantage. Over time players can acquire these items to make the game easier.

I can't add static levels easily right now. I might add some in the future. I am definitely planning to add more game modes once I finish the main game.

I also changed the title graphic to look cleaner and less glitchy.

I would love if you would try the game again and let me know if I am on the right track (make sure you download the latest update first!).

I wouldn't mind helping test it out.

I just sent your code.

Enjoy!

MidBoss
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »

Oh man this looks like my kind of game! Can I try it?

Ninjas can't catch you if your on fire.
-Dr.McNinja
beastly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »

Oh man this looks like my kind of game! Can I try it?

Of course! I just sent you a code via PM.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »

I can't get this to run in Wine, even with AIR installed in the wrapper. It black screens on startup.

Is there any chance you can package it into a .air package instead of a .exe?

beastly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 07:10:20 AM »

I can't get this to run in Wine, even with AIR installed in the wrapper. It black screens on startup.

Is there any chance you can package it into a .air package instead of a .exe?

I just changed the update page so you can download the .air package instead.

http://superavalanche.com/update.html

Just type in your product key and select the .air installer.

B6ka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »

I wanna test it.

B6ka
Game developer, cat-gun enthusiast, alligator farmer
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »

I just changed the update page so you can download the .air package instead.
Thanks a ton! I'll give it a shot later today.

beastly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »

I wanna test it.

And so you shall! I sent you a PM with a promo code.

Thanks a ton! I'll give it a shot later today.

No problem! Thanks for helping me test out the game.

MidBoss
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »

This is my favorite indie title since spelunky. I made a couple videos already, I'll probably post em later

3 hours

in a single sitting 15-20 minutes

I'd like to see more refined hit detection, and even an animation for "barely" making it under the corner of a block. Also tweaks to the power up and boss "in-active blinking" times.

4.) Did you encounter any bugs? Yep, the most outstanding being an instance in which a block I had destroyed over head was seemingly completely removed but managed to squish me invisibly. I believe it was falling as I destroyed it. Also sometimes I get the bank and shop overlapped with one another, making it impossible to use them individually. Also I have the afro, bear ears, and mouth, I recently bought the strawberry color, but it's having no effect.

5.) Was anything confusing or difficult? Slowing down time when picking up a power up cube is a bit dis-orienting at first. I didn't realize that the screen wrapped until my 10 play through, that may have just been me ignoring something in the tutorial.

you could sell this on steam for 10 bucks and it'd do fine in my opinion. A simple local multiplayer mode would justify that I think.

The game is really charming and well designed. Quick suggestion, When power ups are redundant, the new one should be automatically sold for coin unless the effect stacks.
And A chocolate marshmallow would be pretty cool.  Beer!

Ninjas can't catch you if your on fire.
-Dr.McNinja
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »

love to test this.
would you mind if i posted a video on this for my 2k youtube viewer video?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
beastly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 12:57:50 AM »

This is my favorite indie title since spelunky. I made a couple videos already, I'll probably post em later

3 hours

in a single sitting 15-20 minutes

I'd like to see more refined hit detection, and even an animation for "barely" making it under the corner of a block. Also tweaks to the power up and boss "in-active blinking" times.

4.) Did you encounter any bugs? Yep, the most outstanding being an instance in which a block I had destroyed over head was seemingly completely removed but managed to squish me invisibly. I believe it was falling as I destroyed it. Also sometimes I get the bank and shop overlapped with one another, making it impossible to use them individually. Also I have the afro, bear ears, and mouth, I recently bought the strawberry color, but it's having no effect.

5.) Was anything confusing or difficult? Slowing down time when picking up a power up cube is a bit dis-orienting at first. I didn't realize that the screen wrapped until my 10 play through, that may have just been me ignoring something in the tutorial.

you could sell this on steam for 10 bucks and it'd do fine in my opinion. A simple local multiplayer mode would justify that I think.

The game is really charming and well designed. Quick suggestion, When power ups are redundant, the new one should be automatically sold for coin unless the effect stacks.
And A chocolate marshmallow would be pretty cool.  Beer!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you liked it. Spelunky is one of my favorite games. It inspired a lot of features in Super Avalanche.

I'll get to work on fixing the hit testing bugs soon. I never managed to break a block while it was falling but I think I know why it killed you. The whole hit testing system is due for an overhaul. I also like the idea of having a close-call animation. I'll have to see if I can add one.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "power up and boss 'in-active blinking' times"?

Also, how did you beat the tutorial without screen wrapping? Did you climb back over the tower? Or did the goal not switch sides for you?

I also like the idea of redundant power-ups turning into coins. I'm definitely going to add that.

Thanks again!

beastly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 01:05:59 AM »

love to test this.
would you mind if i posted a video on this for my 2k youtube viewer video?

I would be very happy if you did that. I just sent you a promo code.

PS: If anyone else wants to put videos of the game online feel free.
      Send me a link. I would love to see them!

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 02:54:11 AM »

Code please.

What did you use for music and sound in the original version?

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic