Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411704 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 20, 2024, 04:47:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLife & Minimalism
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Life & Minimalism  (Read 917 times)
OsamaTheGameDev
Level 0

Making a revolution in the gaming industry

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »

Hello game developers!
This is my first post in this cool forum. I would like to share with you guys the game that me and my friend made for the Ludum Dare 26. It is a small sweet game that tries to answer this question : What can we eliminate from our life to make it better?
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/616575
I would really love to hear your feedbacks because me and my friend are going to make a remake with : More levels and better graphics. We may also go for mobile platforms.
So tell me guys what the Ups and Downs of the game and we will try to do our best in the next version. Smiley
waludi
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »

The concept was pretty cool and fun. It's a solid way of sending a message to the player.

Only major gripe is the level select screen, where you say: "What can we eliminate from our life to make it better?" and then show a bunch of leaves/options. It wasn't clear that it was a level select screen. I thought the gameplay had already started and it was some choice based on discrimination of the black leaf or something. Though the player figures out that it is a level select screen eventually. Also, I am confused as to how the leafs or tree pertain to the overall message or design of the game. Make the connection more clearer if you're going to use leaves to symbolize different levels or situations!

The screen between the Start screen and the Level select screen is a bit weird. It seems to be a preloader or something to advertise yourself, but it seems unclear as to whether the player can choose to skip it or not (which I wanted to: didn't realize I had to wait for it to finish)

Great stuff! Would like to see how you improve on the concept.
OsamaTheGameDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »

The concept was pretty cool and fun. It's a solid way of sending a message to the player.

Thank you.

Only major gripe is the level select screen, where you say: "What can we eliminate from our life to make it better?" and then show a bunch of leaves/options. It wasn't clear that it was a level select screen. I thought the gameplay had already started and it was some choice based on discrimination of the black leaf or something. Though the player figures out that it is a level select screen eventually. Also, I am confused as to how the leafs or tree pertain to the overall message or design of the game. Make the connection more clearer if you're going to use leaves to symbolize different levels or situations!

Will the demonstration of tree and leaf was a way to improve the message of the game in an artistic way : The tree is a symbol of life and in any tree life there is a time (autumn) when it eliminate parts of it (leaves) parts that won't do any good for it's existence. Such that a life of person should be, there is moments where we have to stop and examine our life and see what can we eliminate from it to make it better?
I hope I made it clear. If so, I would love to hear your suggestions to try and make it more clear to the audience.

The screen between the Start screen and the Level select screen is a bit weird. It seems to be a preloader or something to advertise yourself, but it seems unclear as to whether the player can choose to skip it or not (which I wanted to: didn't realize I had to wait for it to finish)

That screen was made in a hurry to show that this game was made for the Ludum Dare contest but it will be replaced with more appealing one.

Great stuff! Would like to see how you improve on the concept.

Thank you for your interest. We will be sharing it here and in our facebook page :
https://www.facebook.com/ThawraTeam
tlark
Level 0

Autonomous Space Battles https://corepox.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »

I got stuck on fear.

Not my cup of tea but endearing I suppose. I would also agree the level selection screen confused me. Some of the game automatically fades and rolls on, while some parts wait for an interaction (the level screen). There is no feedback to tell which. I click around ont he leaves at first (the non-red ones). Then though it will fade and continue. Waited. Realised it didn't. Clucked around randomly again before carrying on. It was not until the 2nd menu screen did I understand the interface, so that was a source of frustration.
shs
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:57:02 PM »

I thought it was a cute game Smiley It would definitely benefit from better art.

But there are some levels where I got stuck because it was really hard to tell what I was supposed to click on. I ended up spam clicking until I hit something. Maybe you could add a small (really small, so it doesn't take attention away from the message on each level) visual indicator to which parts your supposed to click?
OsamaTheGameDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 04:13:52 PM »

I got stuck on fear.

Not my cup of tea but endearing I suppose. I would also agree the level selection screen confused me. Some of the game automatically fades and rolls on, while some parts wait for an interaction (the level screen). There is no feedback to tell which. I click around ont he leaves at first (the non-red ones). Then though it will fade and continue. Waited. Realised it didn't. Clucked around randomly again before carrying on. It was not until the 2nd menu screen did I understand the interface, so that was a source of frustration.

Try Clicking on the word "but fear" so the sentence will become : Nothing will stop us from achieving our dreams.

Thank you for telling about your interface experience, I hope that you play the game again and continue it and we will work hard on a better user interface in the next version Smiley
OsamaTheGameDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »

I thought it was a cute game Smiley It would definitely benefit from better art.

But there are some levels where I got stuck because it was really hard to tell what I was supposed to click on. I ended up spam clicking until I hit something. Maybe you could add a small (really small, so it doesn't take attention away from the message on each level) visual indicator to which parts your supposed to click?

Thank you for your opinion but adding what you have mentioned will delete the experience of puzzling, although we may add a hint system Smiley

Which puzzles are you stuck on?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic