Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 02, 2024, 10:08:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingColour Switch (Prototype)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Colour Switch (Prototype)  (Read 976 times)
olive.
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »

Hey everybody,

I have made a short prototype consisting of ten levels. My idea for the game is to add more colours in to the levels so you would have four separate colours and the shapes of each playable cube will vary as well. I also had the idea of being able to mix colours and create new ones for different results but, I am not sure how easy this would be to implement.

Enjoy!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8598467/Export/index.html

Run in Chrome for best results.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:12:41 PM by olive. » Logged
eots
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:12:22 PM »

Hey cool game!

Man I like these kind of puzzle games, you only find them in the indie community nowdays...

Id like to jump with space and possible change character with a key on the other side of the keyboard... Ctrl or something.

The thing you asked about mixing colors is pretty simple in as3 but you are usinc Construct (?) and I have no clue how difficult it is in that IP...

Keep it up and consider adding some textures.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:10:04 PM by eots » Logged

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »

Fairly easy , click on the layer you want to edit , and at the left , blending options , use addictive

there's additive but not substractive , wierd ...
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »

Hey cool game!

Man I like these kind of puzzle games, you only find them in the indie community nowdays...

Id like to jump with space and possible change character with a key on the other side of the keyboard... Ctrl or something.

The thing you asked about mixing colors is pretty simple in as3 but you are usinc Construct (?) and I have no clue how difficult it is in that IP...

Keep it up and consider adding some textures.

I agree with eots, I would like to use the spacebar to jump and maybe a different key for each color.

It's an idea, but if you want to add a very precise timing puzzles, maybe a different key for each color would be good!  Beer!
olive.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 04:34:33 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! Starting to fully build the game within Unity now. I am going to tweak the controls around and see about implementing game pads. As for gameplay I am playing around with the idea of mixing colours, moveable colour platforms and gravity based puzzles. When we have the first build I will post it on here.
YellowLime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 05:52:27 AM »

Maybe not have the level restart completely if you fall off a pit? And instead respawn the square that fell off... It was a bit frustrating for me Undecided
tanyaxshort
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »

I like the core concept (passing through colors, switching cubes) as a puzzle game. Good job. Smiley

Small details:
* The camera following isn't tight enough for me. The momentum/looseness actually made me slightly nauseous/seasick.
* The third level was a bit easier than the second level....
* The collision between the cubes feels a bit too perfect, like I either need basic physics or else a bit more forgiveness when I want to "push" another block or fall next to it.

Good luck!

olive.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »

Small details:
* The camera following isn't tight enough for me. The momentum/looseness actually made me slightly nauseous/seasick.
* The third level was a bit easier than the second level....
* The collision between the cubes feels a bit too perfect, like I either need basic physics or else a bit more forgiveness when I want to "push" another block or fall next to it.

Thanks for you feedback Smiley

I made this as a small prototype to see if anybody would be interested in helping me develop it further. Now I have 'fluoromancer' doing the programming so we have moved the project over to Unity.

* I agree. I am going to rework the control scheme and the camera follow to make it feel overall a lot nicer.

* Going to fully design each level instead of make it up as I go along, like in the prototype.

* Now that we are making it in Unity, the collisions are completely different and feel a lot more free and fun to jump around the levels with each cube.

Thanks for the feedback!  Beer!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:54:17 PM by olive. » Logged
Igmon
Level 0

Hi how are you?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »

This is a neat puzzle game. It's like an abstract version of The Lost Vikings.

Some user feedback in-game that may be useful:

Select indicator after you switch between cube: some sort of graphical arrow to point at the cube you just selected would be helpful.

This may not be important, but maybe depending on level complexity, arrow indicator at the edge of the screen where your other cubes are located. If they are off screen.

Other things:

The movement feels slippery to me and I agree with the collision being too tight. The cube sitting on top of an active cube needs to get pushed off when it is trying to access its matching color.

There's definitely some potential to this with more features and maybe even more than 2 colors in a given level. Things like switching colors on/off, etc.

Cool game!

snipercommand
Level 0

why not?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »

hey I played the demo, I like the concept =)
the controls definitely can be better, and I don't really like the bouncing camera when you change your moving direction
I also think the spacebar should be used to jump and not switching characters

It has potential! =)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic