Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411682 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 04:11:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDog Street
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Dog Street  (Read 8560 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »

Ah, I thought french was obligatory in Canada Undecided There is a certain percent of you that speak it in your homes, right?

Your English is very natural- I never would have guessed you weren't a native speaker if you hadn't told us. I envy all you multilingual people, all I speak is English.
haha I envy all of you who speak English natively, you never have to go through the hell of learning a language at school :D They start when we are 7 years old: cat, apple, house...
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 02:05:31 PM »

I started at six. I did skip the whole "learning" part though, since I learned more from games.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »

Ah, I thought french was obligatory in Canada Undecided There is a certain percent of you that speak it in your homes, right?

Your English is very natural- I never would have guessed you weren't a native speaker if you hadn't told us. I envy all you multilingual people, all I speak is English.
haha I envy all of you who speak English natively, you never have to go through the hell of learning a language at school :D They start when we are 7 years old: cat, apple, house...
The big downside though is that it's much harder to learn later.  I'm 100% serious when I say that I wish they'd taught Mandarin alongside English during my education.  Now, I'd quite like to know it (as some of my friends are Chinese), but it would be a massive pain to learn.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 06:57:56 AM »

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 08:18:45 PM »

This is looking brilliant.  Coffee

That is all.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 03:40:00 AM »

Well, I never actually played any of them, but I'm sure they were awsome.

your game looks very noir, you should try Blade Runner by westwood studios, it's an awesome game (it's a completely different story from the movie).
Maybe you will like also Beneath a Steel Sky, that's free and you can download it with ScummVM, a really awesome interpreter to play adventures games on modern pcs. just google for it and you will find the BASS iso or floppy version too

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Aptennap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 10:52:46 AM »

I demand you continue this! This looks amazing Wink The style is amazing, exactly what I like.
PaleFox
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 02:47:10 PM »

Please post in the introduction topic, it will help make people pay attention when you talk. Also, please don't ressurect topics at random. Although I too would like the game to be made, if I am honest.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 03:08:52 AM »

Wow!!!
Yeah I say give this a good shot.  If you get stuck with code or whatever, I'm sure one of us will lend you a hand.  Lots of great memories can be made from an adventure game (ah, grim fandango)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 03:14:17 AM »

Please post in the introduction topic, it will help make people pay attention when you talk. Also, please don't ressurect topics at random. Although I too would like the game to be made, if I am honest.

Hmm, I've always been Pro-Topic Ressurection, personally. At least for Dev Threads.

JLJac, is this still happening in any way, shape or form? Even in your mind would suffice.
FiaStarta
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 01:12:13 AM »

I really should draw my own font without anti-alias, but I don't know how. What software do you use?

You certainly need antialiasing, but hand-drawn (simple halftones to fake rounded corners, only some letters like V are more tricky).
You can also capture Windows's own font smoother, but then the old one, not cleartype & its horizontal subpixelling that can't work zoomed in (& much less in B&W).
Its old font smoother works well on Arial bold size 8.
But don't go for no antialiasing at all, it won't suit your drawings.

And if you blitted text in Photoshop or another painting app that doesn't feature proper hinting, I'd also suggest blitting more letters if you see one isn't properly snapping to pixels horizontally, one eventually will. If not, you can hand-fix this easily.

(I also don't understand why not all of your letters are the same. Custom rasterizer? Or you capped the whole text as a bitmap?)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:17:23 AM by FiaStarta » Logged
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »

Could this please be moved to the DevLogs. I'm still working on this and am going to keep JLJac in the financial loop, especially if enough of us can get together to pull this off.

For now, material upon which minds can chew:

I don't really have any environment in mind for the game... All I know is macromedia director, and almost no actionscript at all. We will have to look for a programmer I guess, it's not very complicated programming that needs to be done really. However I am completely incapable to program stuff like this at this point, I'm good at physics, vectors and such, I can't make menu systems and text based stuff at all. Feel a bit bad about not being able to tackle this problem, but we will have to work our way around it somehow...

So, this is what I've made up about the game while walking my dog in the freezing cold of the swedish winter:

Marcus Chen lives in a city, possibly in north america, that is dominated by a part called Tokyotown. It has a population of mixed asian extraction, mostly japanese and chineese, and is both over populated and very poor. The town is surrounded by abandoned industries from the time before some kind of finansial crash. He is maybe a journalist.

The time is some kind of future mixed with the 60's. There are monorails, blade runner styled slums and small helicopters all over the place, but some technology like cell phones and laptops are oddly missing. People dress very old-fashioned, trenchcoat, white shirt and hat on men, fur-coat, dress and gloves on ladies. In tokyo-town there's a whole other deal, some kind of hyper-modern japaneese culture is dominating. A couple of yakuza groups have divided this part of the city between them, and the official police and laws have very little influence here.

A phenomena of Tokyotown are these:

I haven't come up with a name for them yet, but they are streetgirls in the ages 9-17 that form small gangs and live of criminal activities such as robbery. They have some kind of "hello kitty"-attitude gone wild. They listen to plastic techno and love pink bubble gum. In one of the mockups they are calling for Marcus, six or seven of them are sitting up on the old fire escape stairs to the left.

Marcus Chen has asian parents that has never lived in tokyotown, but he often encounter racism and prejudices.

So, Dog Street. Dog street is a super hip theme bar in the worst slum in tokyotown. It has a very exclusive guest list, and a very special main attraction, which has big relevance to the story.

In Dog Street a new drug is introduced to the world, a very exspensive drug that isn't like anything seen before.

Thing is, when a creature is born a soul takes place in the body. When the body dies the soul leaves this world, and fly to another "sphere".

There are many, many spheres, and they contain countless, maybe infinite, souls. Some are the souls of creatures that has already lived, some are the souls of creatures yet to be born. Some are souls that are never supposed to exist in a body, they exist in other realities for purposes impossible for the human mind to grasp. They might have emotions that a human can't even imagine, or be aware of the world in colors and dimensions impossible for us to experience.

The drug on dog street, for now I imagine it as a machine rather than a chemical preparation, opens a giant raft to a random sphere into the mind of a human. As I thought one of the characters should explain it:

"The sensation when they are rushing through your mind is undescribable. You feel urges and fears of creatures so far from your own being that they are ignorant of feelings as we know them, the three dimensions, the interaction of matter... They have their own way of conciousness, meant to exist in a world of two dimensions, of scent, of pastel colors or of tiny wasps of anger wrapped in sharp folds of silk. You feel hundreds of sentinent beings inside you, feel hundred times as aware, aware of things you could never imagine being a part of our reality. This makes an orgasm feel like an itch, just briefer."

The souls die almost immediately after entering the human mind, which only adds to the sensation. Think of experiencing death 1000 times per second! They die because they are not meant to exist in a human body, or even in a three-dimensional space. They are completely invisible as they have no body, all you see of them are the shaking of the limbs of the person they are briefly possesing.

However, some might survive in a human body for a short amount of time. These tend to be very strong ones, or ones whose original body is close to a human. The risk of getting a "trich" as they call it (from trichinella, internal parasite) gets bigger the more times you use the drug.

A trich might lead to schizophrenia, if the alien consiousness achieves to establish itself in you mind. In some cases, if the trich is able to take control of the growth of the body, it might lead to physical deformation. Sometimes this is chaotic, like cancer, other times the tumors take a form that resembles to that of the alien conciuosness's original body. This is more likely to happen if the trich's original anatomy is closer to the human body.

Sofia's boyfriend has a trich, a bad one. It's the trich of a dog, and though it has not made severe damage to his mind his body is very deformed. His legs and his face are those of a dog, which makes it difficult for him to walk properly, and he can only communicate through clicking with his tounge, which sofia then translates. He is the leader of Dog Street, and rumour has it that the club is named after him.

He dislikes Marcus, because he fears that sofia might leave him for him, which would leave him completely helpless. Sofia feel to much responsibility to leave him, yet she somewhat dislikes him since he is the son of the leader of one of the mafia groups, and is very dominant towards her, she was once a poor girl that he picked up from the street... Yeah, you get it, it's kind of complicated. However it scares Marcus like... A LOT when he starts to notice that he is followed by a tall man in a trenchcoat with a limp, that has his oddly shaped face covered in bandage.

Yeah, that's it. I know it's a bit... odd, but that's what I like in stories  As you can see I have come up with more of the setting than the actual story, I would be happy if you could give me some help on that.

Also, everything is possible to change. Please note that I want no supernatural/fantasy element except from the soul thing, but if you dislikes it maybe we can come up with something else.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts! 

One of my contributions:

Dog Street Story

We are driven.

"You are driven?," she asked.

Was it a test? I had to think. Lead, guided. No, alone they are too strong.

We are creatures of intuition, but do we know where that intuition comes from? That is why I said we are driven as if there is a vague goal each of us are stiving for.

Yes, we know our motivations. However, as the lineage of motivation upon motivation is followed back, will there eventually be an origin or any origins?

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic