Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 02:29:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Desert (Top-Down desert survival in a vast open world) with demo!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Red Desert (Top-Down desert survival in a vast open world) with demo!  (Read 5876 times)
JamesDraws
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 06:10:23 AM »

Cool weapons and weapon modding ability, western style is the best. Will this be multiplayer, if so send me a copy ? (sorry if description says yes or no, I didnt have time to read it all).

Hey thanks for the comment, and really glad you like the weapon customisation! Smiley I wanted RD to be a single player game primarily, something small and personal to own and explore in your own way, at your own pace.

Thanks again!

-James
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:26:08 AM by JamesDraws » Logged
JamesDraws
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 09:04:27 AM »

*****New Demo*****

Check it out!

http://www.megafileupload.com/cbyc/Red_Desert_V0.4.rar
JamesDraws
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 03:24:30 AM »

Again, it's been a while since the last post but there’s been a lot of changes.

So What's New?

- The first thing you'll notice are the changes to the HUD. This is due to the fact that the RPG and health systems are all working now. The player now has a health bar and a water bar. The health bar functions as you’d expect- you take damage and your health goes down. The water bar works in very much the same way as the food bar in Minecraft; I.E water goes down, health goes up. If there’s no water in the water bar then health goes down. A simple yet effective system I think. You can replenish your water bar by drinking from your canteen. If your health gets below 40% then the water bar decreases faster, causing you to either regain health faster, or die faster, depending on the amount of water in your water bar.

- There is now a levelling system in place, with the player’s XP bar at the bottom of the screen. Level ups will increase either movement speed, health, or water carrying capacity. As more updates are added I’ll add more options for levelling up.

- I spent a while adding new particle effects and tweaking the old ones. There's now a burst effect when the player picks up an object. I really feel like the visuals of the game are starting to come together.

- The screen flashes red as a damage indicator for the player. This matches the enemies flashing red when thy take damage. The same system flashes yellow every time you level up.

- New sprites! This is a big one. Many of the wall sprites have been remade with extra grit and dirt! I've also added new player and enemy sprites, which are a much-needed improvement. These are still liable to change in the future, but it'll probably just be little additions here and there.

- More detailed floors. Footprints in the sand now advise the player on where to go, and can quickly and easily show the player openings and entrances into buildings.

- Floor rubble!

- The grid system for holding the areas on the world map has been replaced, with a much simpler and more robust system. There's now no chance of memory leaks.

- If an enemy shoots you while you're in cover then you take half damage.

- Title introductions every time you enter a new biome. White text fades onto the screen slowly, with a musical stab.

- More art on the levels. (Such as the ship in the top screenshot)

Most of the key systems are there, so that means from this point on much of my time will be on designing levels, bosses, enemies, narrative elements and story telling, **MORE GUNS**

Stay tuned; all of this will be coming in the future!

Thanks for checking out Red Desert! I appreciate every view. If you have any comments then let me know!

-James
JamesDraws
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 10:37:54 AM »

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and new year! I've been quiet for a little while so I thought I'd share some of the artwork I've been working on. Mostly environments. There have been a lot of changes as usual which I'll detail in the future, but for now check this out!

More to come soon!

Thanks for checking out Red Desert!

-James
JamesDraws
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 08:25:49 AM »

Again  been a long time since the last update. I've spent most of my time making art assets for things like big levels, which I posted some images of previously. There are quite a few of those for each of the biomes now, (now currently at 4 different biomes as opposed to 6). The Red Desert assets are all done now, as are the City Canyons. Just got to finish the levels for the Dry Seabed and the Salt Flats and then that'll be done. Also I've created a number of smaller features for the levels. Things like fences and broken bits of wall, impaled skeletons and that kind of thing.

I've added a couple of new enemies, the first being Hyenas that inhabit the City Canyons.

The Death worm who'll live in the sand in the Dry Seabed.

Armoured raider who are tougher, and don't get staggered on being shot.

Cannibal Cult members.

Salt flat Cannibals.

A ton of different gang bosses.

A few new shield variations.

A couple of new gun parts.

So I've pretty much spent the last 4 or 5 weeks making assets. There's still more to be made but soon I'll have the fun job of putting them all into the actual game, programming the new AI for the enemies and finishing the AI for the regular enemies.

This is taking a lot longer than I first intended it to, but isn't that always the way.

Thanks for checking out Red Desert as always! Check back soon-ish for more updates.

-James
JamesDraws
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 05:50:10 AM »

Hello again,

What's new?

Hyenas are finished. It took a lot of trial and error but I'm finally happy with them. They circle the player, before doing a charge attack, and skidding along the sand when you kill them.

Deathworms are a new enemy. There are the easier red ones, and the much larger and tougher black ones, who spit a gooey projectile attack.

Saltmen are also finished. They basically act like a fast zombie. They kill the player and eat their corpse.

General tweaks have been made to the core mechanics to make it a lot smoother and more responsive.

The plot is coming along too. It involves a cult (pretty standard game enemy but I'm excited about it nevertheless).

There have been some major changes to the HUD, especially when it comes to ammo and level-ups.

What's still to do?
Motorbikes (I promise they're still going to be in it.)
Re-write the gang member AI.
Cult member AI.
Gang leader AI/ Boss levels.
Creation of non-plot levels.
Finish plot.

Thanks for checking out Red Desert and I hope you like what you see so far. Hopefully I'll have some more for you soon.

-James
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 06:24:29 AM »

I'm digging the art style! The use of proc-gen is up my alley, too. Is the demo a couple of posts up very outdated or just a bit?
JamesDraws
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »

Thanks! Yeah the demo is pretty outdated now, not to mention buggy as hell. I'm planning another demo when I've added some more content to show off the smoother mechanics, and give a much better representation of how the final thing will feel. That'll hopefully be soon but there's still a lot of work to be done. - James
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic