Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 11:06:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLocal PvP sword fighting game. (Downloadable prototype!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Local PvP sword fighting game. (Downloadable prototype!)  (Read 382 times)
Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:32:39 PM »

This is a local multiplayer sword fighting thing im making whenever im not in college or, lately, yelling at For Honor for not being an honorable game at all.

This is a gif of me playing with a friend.

IT HAS
-Combos, light and heavy attacks, a dodge, a still unreliable parry, and a gun that fires pink projectiles.

IT WILL HAVE
-Moar guns, shields, a rush attack.

IT WILL POSSIBLY HAVE
-Coop horde mode, if I stop sucking at coding AI.

CAN I PLAY IT?
It has some nasty bugs, but when I fix them I'll upload a build to itch.io.
Yes, the prototype is here:
https://reiniat.itch.io/pvp-local-sword-fighting

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:52:23 AM by Reyn » Logged
Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:49:06 AM »

Duude! Making something that doesnt crash and burn halfway trough a match is hard! but apparently not impossible for schmucks like me:

https://reiniat.itch.io/pvp-local-sword-fighting

-This is a multiplayer game, youre gonna need at least a controller to play with someone else.
-Mouse and keyboard bindings are subpar, if you have a better idea for bindings please tell me because im lost on this one.
-Press F1 to see the controls layout.
-You can also add dummy players with the keys 1, 2, 3 and 4.
-Press START to start... The arrows switch maps, theres only two maps I half-assed in Tiled in 10 mins.
-The first to get 5 kills wins.
-You have to manually quit the app, there is no exit button yet.

Im mostly just looking for feedback on game feel, how the character moves, is the combat intuitive?. If you have a couple minutes to give it a try, Id appreciate any feedback.

Now off to the dev part:
3 weeks ago when I started this project I had no idea how fighting games work, most of my experience playing them comes from Guilty Gear Xrd and the Souls series.
Anyway, I made myself familiar with Dark Souls frame data, and how attacks are divided in windup, active and recovery frames, and the concept of animation cancelling, and Google helped me clear concepts like hurtboxes and htiboxes. I also tried to reverse engineer how combos work in Dark Souls 3 using the frame data for cancels and flinches.
I had to scrap most of the code that was involved in making the first gif (what it doesnt show is how often players just got stuck in the locked state, being unable to move or attack at all). The new system is more component focused; a dodge is just a Monobehavior you attach to a unit and suddenly you can dodge and nothing else stops working, the same goes for the melee, movement and ranged systems.
Theres a Unit hierarchy where Unit is the base class and the Player and NPC (AI is still meh) classes inherit from it, it works, it jolly does.
The only thing that worries me is how to handle Unity's Animator Controller, I had to implement particular solutions to almost every single problem I had with it and that is not gud. It also works in LateUpdate() which doesnt have a fixed length and whose animation events can only be checked in the next Update(). I also do a lot of frame counting in FixedUpdate() and im worried it might get desynchronized with the animator controller.

Ill probably post some of my design docs when I get home, im writing this in the middle of a class and the professor is eyeing me.

TODO:
-A shotgun like weapon.
-Implement a new melee weapon, its gonna be the Void Mace.
-The help page says "parry" but really its a deflect that makes the opponent flinch, parrying is a stun than can be turned into a riposte, ill add that soon.
-Put the dummmy AI in a map.
-More interesting maps.
-Refactor the item pickup system (its already there, theres a power weapon and ammo you can pickup... It might or might not crash the game It does work! It has a high projectile speed and does 50 dmg (players have 100 hp)).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 09:20:36 AM by Reyn » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic