Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 08:24:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBeginner's Guide to Indie Gaming (WIP)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Beginner's Guide to Indie Gaming (WIP)  (Read 167384 times)
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2007, 05:20:33 PM »

I'm just confused how one thing can be more indie than the other. I mean, Cave Story was made by Pixel, and as I understand it he's just one man. Can you get anymore independant than that?

Although I did like the idea of the Indiecyplodia. Be a heck of a bugger to do though...

Also, I think it's called 'The Home of the Underdogs'.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2007, 05:22:34 PM »

I think we should do two list.
A short list of only the essentials  in each category.
and the large unlimited list for when the begginer has tried everything and wants to know more.
Also it could be useful to reference all good indie games available, I don't know it could be useful for other purposes.
The larger list should be linked to from the shorter list.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Monothu
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2007, 05:28:18 PM »

I'm just confused how one thing can be more indie than the other. I mean, Cave Story was made by Pixel, and as I understand it he's just one man. Can you get anymore independant than that?

Although I did like the idea of the Indiecyplodia. Be a heck of a bugger to do though...

Also, I think it's called 'The Home of the Underdogs'.

HOTU is no longer updated and also has abandonware games.

Breathing - America's true national pastime.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2007, 05:48:49 PM »

I think that with a really long list you should mark which one Beginning Indie players should check out first. That way beginners won't find themselves randomly searching through a long list of games they know nothing about.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2007, 07:37:31 AM »

This list is up to Guert I believe. The one that may be eventually featured on TIGS front page would be edited by Derek I assume. I'd hope that that one was more streamlined. If it becomes an encylopedia of all indie games, then its useless.

Its supposed to be a few awesome games that will introduce new players to the scene.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2007, 08:53:46 AM »

Agreed! I'll think about the whole list and I'll see what I'm gonna do with it. I'm open to all suggestions...

Agh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »

You spelled Nikujin and knytt wrong :O

Games I would remove from the list:
Alien Hominid
Its just like every second flash game, kill, run, kill...

Akuji the Demon
Found it pretty boring and not challenging. Furthermore there are allready enough excellent Jump'n'runs in the list(e.g. N, Cave Story, Ninkujin...)
Kon-Tiki
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2007, 06:47:59 PM »

I'd kick N out in favour of Akuji the Demon. N lacks alot in its presentation. You can't get somebody to play a game that looks like that, while you definitely can with a game that looks like Akuji the Demon. Plus, I played through Akuji twice, straight after each other, and had an absolute blast with it Tongue

Raf Vermeulen
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2007, 06:48:31 PM »

Oh, for Christ's sake, not again.

Kon-Tiki
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2007, 06:51:29 PM »

We've been back at page 3 for a couple of pages already Tongue

Raf Vermeulen
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2007, 08:09:32 PM »

Akuji is a pretty bland platformer and doesn't really add anything to the genre.  It's cute, it's fun, it's honestly pretty boring.

Even if you don't like N's presentation (which I think is a damn shame), it's just a much more interesting game.

You can't get somebody to play a game that looks like that, while you definitely can with a game that looks like Akuji the Demon.

N has already gotten many times more people to play it based on its own merits and is heading to consoles now, so...

Instead of spinning our wheels on this topic further, let me ask you guys if you think it'd be a good idea to "vault" games in their own forum.  Essentially start a database of games.  Not necessarily the best games, but indie games that are finished and somewhat interesting and well put together.

I was hassling Jeff to set up a separate database for this so we could do advanced searches and stuff, but in the end I feel like SMF does the job.  We can have a list thread like this one stickied at the top to sort them.  Use polls to rate games, etc.

Would be nice to be able to discuss these games, rate them (probably a "Recommend: yes/no" type thing), post screens and other information (walkthroughs, etc.).  I'd probably give a few trusted members the ability to post games and everyone else can comment (well, members only).  My only worry is that this is somewhat redundant since we also post games on the front page, although the front page to me has always been for news and "hey check out this game!" type thing, whereas this forum would be more of a real archive.  This would be a more fruitful move at this point than discussing which games are indier and which ones aren't.

For the beginner's guide FEATURE I will be selecting the games involved and the format in the end.  Because putting the ultimate decisions to committee inevitably end up with nothing getting done.  (But it's a great way to make the final decision easier). Tongue

Thoughts?
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2007, 03:37:53 PM »

Hmmm... I like the idea of a vault versus a beginners guide.

I think the list I'm making should be about 50-75 titles, but we could make another list with alot more titles, like a vault. It would be divided in numerous ways. I'll see what I can think of.

Anyway, post your suggestions!

PS: Thx Derek Wink

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »

I don't know if there's much of a point of doing it if its just going to be on the forums. It won't be easily search/sort-able, people won't see it as readily, etc.

A site like Lemon Amiga for indie games would be super awesome.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2007, 04:57:41 PM »

Instead of spinning our wheels on this topic further, let me ask you guys if you think it'd be a good idea to "vault" games in their own forum.  Essentially start a database of games.  Not necessarily the best games, but indie games that are finished and somewhat interesting and well put together.
[...]
Thoughts?

This sounds like something more suited to a wiki than a forum.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2007, 07:15:05 PM »

Okay, sounds good.  Jeff said he'd be willing to set up an archive all the search options we need.  Just a matter of when he has the time.

I may end up hooking it up to the forum so that people can discuss the games separately.  From what Jeff told me, SMF (which is PHP-based) is not easily integrated with Rails, which is what Jeff wants to use to set up the archive.

Thanks for the input. Smiley
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2007, 07:22:51 AM »

Done.  For now.  Hot off the presses.

http://www.tigsource.com/features/spirit.html

Considered adding sections to Part 1 explaining "casual versus hardcore" and "the scene," but then realized that it was just divisive and that I didn't care enough to talk about it.  Might find it worth it after I wake up, if someone convinces me.  But I think there's enough of that all over the rest of the site.

Parts 3 and 4 will come later.  And will probably be about one or more of the following topics:

1. Developers
2. How to make your own game
3. The future

It was that Michal dude's terrible "best indy (art) games" list that eventually pushed me to put the finishing touches on this thing.  Let me know what you think, guys!  I will publicly announce it after I get some sleep.

EDIT: Oh yeah, probably lots of little typos and broken links and weird grammatical  weirdness.  Please let me know about them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 07:24:42 AM by Derek » Logged
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2007, 07:46:23 AM »

This is excellent!

I see you've included Varicella on the first page - glad you've gotten around to playing it! So, what did you think?

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2007, 07:51:23 AM »

You know, most people go on dates with other people, not xboxs.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2007, 07:56:41 AM »

Great work Derek. A great list and really well presented. Well done everyone Smiley

Thanks! Looking forward to the rest!

one thing - you spelled "Eyezmaze" without the first Z.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 07:58:16 AM by haowan » Logged

sequence
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2007, 08:32:43 AM »

Just pointing out that Addictinggames' .swf version of N you've linked to is illegal, seeing how it's been decompiled from the original game. Not to mention it's based on an old version (1.2, the newest one being 1.4), lacking many key features and hundreds of levels. The correct link should be this.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic