Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 07:18:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNo Man's Sky
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 61
Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 80447 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 20, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »

so what do you do in this game. i don't mean sell it to me, because i'm never going to play it, but what do you actually do?

you write angry steam reviews
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: August 20, 2016, 02:39:51 PM »

Anyone who disagrees with me has personality problems + weak muscles
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 20, 2016, 02:42:33 PM »

Well, depending on who you ask it's either a space exploration game or ammunition to fuel the perceived sense of betrayal from a world that still hasn't delivered on what it's owed you.
Or it's not something you've had prior feelings about either way but ultimately upon playing it you find it is just another open world crafting game with watered down game play due to sub-par execution of many of its features. "It's not terrible it is just so-so."

I must half-agree with you, I have personality problems + strong muscles.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 20, 2016, 02:58:44 PM »

so what do you do in this game. i don't mean sell it to me, because i'm never going to play it, but what do you actually do?

You do you, you are the center of the universe anymore as it is indifferent to your presence, unlike most game it really doesn't care. This piss off some layer to hell and back.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: August 20, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »

Sorry, just can't help but be a little miffed when i pay $60 for a game based on the developers description and the steam trailers and the game itself does not match those.  If this is the game as they want it they could AT LEAST update the gameplay videos and descriptions to reflect this, if it was marketed as a pure exploration game I wouldn't have a real problem with it..but most of the promotional material markets it as a combat game. I knew NOTHING about this game before last week other than it was supposed to be some sort of elite: dangerous competitor so i missed all the hype and couldn't care less about it, I merely bought a game that was promising to be something that it clearly isn't upon playing.

-Fuzzy Spider
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 20, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »

same

it seems to me as an out side observer that the people who have good things to say about the game frame them as experiential and the people who have bad things to say about the game frame them as mechanical
Babar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 20, 2016, 04:35:28 PM »

I think that game is great, but could use some more scripting.

There are very few games that feature exploration and social gameplay which is procedurally generated. Another (and only) I can think of on this scale is The Elder's Scroll II : Daggerfall, which had a similarly near-infinite, procedurally-generated world and simple quest system to go along.
The game had similar mechanical problems, that were caused by repeats and bugs.

But what I see here is that after Daggerfall, there was Morrowind.

I mean that Hello Games might be on the path to a handcrafted space exploration game similar to Elder's Scroll series. And I personnaly find that appealing :D                   

But yeah, those games are full of bugs, not online, graphically inferior, but I love them anyway

I still think NMS is overpriced anyway. :D

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: August 20, 2016, 06:20:59 PM »

same

it seems to me as an out side observer that the people who have good things to say about the game frame them as experiential and the people who have bad things to say about the game frame them as mechanical

That is a good assessment of the field.

I was in a cave and it was showing icons in front of me because billions of miles away on another planet in the system were some ruins I'd found but not visited, and that planet was on the other side of the planet I was on.

When you're fighting enemy ships and your shields take damage you have to manually open your UI, click your "shield" and then choose which fuel you want to put in it.

If you find a giant mountain of gold 50 meters high, congratulations, that will take you a few minutes to mine and be maybe 1/50th the price of a starship that is a modest upgrade (all ship differences are cosmetic, so this means, simply, has more inventory slots) from your starting one.

You have to manually open your UI to fill the batteries on your hazard suit and life support, which use different materials.  If you're on a dangerous planet, this means you have to refill them every minute or so.  A frozen radioactive planet or scorching toxic hellhole is an annoyance not because of actual danger, but simply because your bars deplete very fast and the game yells at you.

Every time you take off in your ship it uses 25% of its fuel, which means you have to refill your ship every four times you use it. 

Managing these bars, making sure you have enough inventory to carry fuel, and making sure you have the right fuels, is the majority of the gameplay.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: August 20, 2016, 06:31:40 PM »

I dedicated my playtime today solely towards getting more inventory slots and still have to juggle stuff between my personal inventory and my ship. 

I avoid combat as much as possible not because it's dangerous or hard but because it's just "shoot thing that is running towards you" or "shoot robots that are shooting you".  I didn't expect fun combat, and I understand if the game doesn't want you to feel like a badass Rambo spaceman but fighting is just slowly jetpacking around and shooting at a thing with your li'l baby laser and launching grenades.

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: August 20, 2016, 09:23:12 PM »

I think the combat needs some extra small and weak secondary enemies that you can pop off with just one shot of any slightly upgraded boltcaster shot. Those flying sentinels take too much continuous fire to kill for being the weakest enemy, it makes your shooting feel pathetic. You need to shoot em continuously for like 6 seconds to blow em up with your regular shot. Maybe tiny lil orblets spawned by the flying things that explode on you if you get too close, so you can spray shots on em and they pop.

Also, I think the game is also missing some variety in the planetary dangers, there seems to be just one variety of immobile threat, that lashing vine thing. A bit more stuff like that, which attack you in different ways, and are triggered in different ways could make a big difference I think. Like I dunno, a patch of mushrooms that spray toxic gas if you disturb em, something on cave ceilings that attack you, carnivorous plants that bite as you get close, big fruit that explode violently when shot...
Little things like that would not make the game combat oriented, it would just add a bit of variety in the ways that the wilderness may be hostile. They probably should not be too common either, or it might make some planets feel too hostile, overly changing the game's chill tone.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 20, 2016, 10:02:49 PM »

I think they specifically stated they didnt want to focus on combat and shooting. I mean like really adverse to it. I think the sentinel are here to deter rather than be target.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 21, 2016, 02:48:51 AM »

Serious question: is there any way to dodge in space battles?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 21, 2016, 02:50:39 AM »

I think they specifically stated they didnt want to focus on combat and shooting. I mean like really adverse to it. I think the sentinel are here to deter rather than be target.

they hate combat so much that they put bounty and rescue quests into the game  Roll Eyes

noctis doesnt have any combat whatsoever btw
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 21, 2016, 03:59:26 AM »

Serious question: is there any way to dodge in space battles?

Disclaimer: I haven't left my starting planet yet (playing since last friday btw), because that place has a lot of gold, heridium, nickel and other resources.
So keep in mind that I've zero expertise in space battles in the NMS universe galaxy and take my advice with a grain of salt: use your rudders to manually dodge whatever you don't wanna hit.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 21, 2016, 04:44:52 AM »

they hate combat so much that they put bounty and rescue quests into the game  Roll Eyes

noctis doesnt have any combat whatsoever btw

That's what hype make for you $$$
But more like they see on ground shooting and in space shooting as different. The former being discouraged.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 21, 2016, 05:49:20 AM »

that's too bad because the space shooting is actually the worse of the two.

i mean the ground fps stuff isnt "good" either, but at least it's usually over fairly quickly and can be easily avoided whereas space battles take forever. sometimes even five ever or six ever.
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 21, 2016, 06:28:21 AM »

People expend all their time grinding at work, doing meaningless, repetitive tasks, collecting too much stuff and being unable to let it go, becoming attached to old habits, hoping that everything will get better when they get the new stuff, a fancier car, pretty clothes, the game they've wished to be the best ever. Yet, they don't realize they don't need all that money, not even the best car or the best clothes or the hyped game, to just have a good time and enjoy the world around them, to go for a walk in the morning and chill before a hard day, taking pleasure in their loneliness and in the surprises of nature.  No Man's Sky: a metaphor for life.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 21, 2016, 06:57:15 AM »

2deep4me
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1267098
Roberts is at Gamescom showing off Update 3.0, the next expansion to Star Citizen, a massive MMO that hopes to combine first-person shooting, dog fighting, piracy, economic trading, and now, interstellar travel. Like Elite: Dangerous and the more recent No Man's Sky, Star Citizen is trying to build a seamless world on myriad planets and the space between them. If all goes according to plan, the bug he just saw will be squashed before his team livestreams the update on August 19--tomorrow night.

"We want to create texture--an emotional feeling for each location," Roberts says. "We need a history, a sense of place, for each of these worlds. Details are important."
This planet is one of thousands that Cloud Imperium is creating. While No Man's Sky uses its tech to generate new planets as you travel, Star Citizen uses procedural generation to build the skeleton of specific planets before artists fill in the vital details. There are far fewer planets in Star Citizen--the studio is aiming for about 100 solar systems, each containing an average of five planets with their own moons as well--but Roberts and his team are working to ensure that each planet is worth exploring and returning to.

Despite No Man's Sky's technical achievements and gargantuan size (around 18 quintillion planets), detractors point to its lack of memorable moments as its chief downfall. With Star Citizen, Roberts says there will be side quests, distinct landmarks, new characters, and more to find on each rock's surface. Cloud Imperium is also aiming for "Crysis-like visual fidelity" on each one.

"No Man's Sky does a really cool thing with its planet-building tech, and it uses it well," Roberts says. "But the coolest thing it does, to me, is that seamless transition between the planet and space. We're aiming for that seamlessness, too. Once you exit the atmosphere, we want you already thinking about where you'll head next."

All is going according to keikaku  Well, hello there!

NMS+++
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:19:48 AM by gimymblert » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 21, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »

is star citizen even playable yet
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 61
Print
Jump to: