Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:44:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVagante Alpha 8 Demo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Vagante Alpha 8 Demo  (Read 76825 times)
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »

I'm not happy with them either, still wanna give it shot.  I'll probably be adding lots of detail, to get a gothic "iron" look.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »

okay got some good work done on the lettering today,
more gold than iron ("gothic"  Shrug). going to go with the first one though the top-right is kind of nice but the G is bugging us.  Just needs some polish but I'm gonna go ahead and paint in the backdrop.  If you have any opinions or suggestions love to hear them.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »

Looks a bit cartoonish to me, compared to the tone of your game.
Dunno, might be the colors, they feel a lot brighter compared to your screens and gifs.
Also it could be due to all the curves in the letters.
I think making the letters bolder, thicker and more angular might look good.

But of the four you posted, I think the bottom right one looks the best.
The t looks a bit awkward though. I think making it look more like a capital T and making it the the same height as the other letters will make it fit in better.

But I dunno, the more I stare at this, the more i like it.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »

Yea I'm getting the same impression as I'm working on it, might just have to revisit it after the backdrop is done or maybe the backdrop will make it fit the game more.

The style of the later monsters, mostly bosses have had more color, detail and contrast than the first batch (plus the tiles), so at some point I'll have to revisit their designs and make them more cohesive along with the new gui changes.  Maybe the title will also fit more then.

- Eugene implemented the affinity circles and they're rad.  gif in a couple days
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 01:36:37 AM »

Good iteration on the logo so far. I like the direction you're taking with the type, though I agree is not very gothic.

Also, the coloring/texturing is too flat, leading to the cartoon-y feel. You could maybe try experimenting with a subtle rust-on-iron texture?

The green is a color often associated with organic/natural textures. Using a dark-gray, possibly an as-subtle-as-you-like-it grittiness to it would make it feel more human-made. Add lots of dark-shadows for a stone-y look, or bright highlights for a metallic feel.

Definitely not an expert on this kind of artsy matters though, so take it all with a pinch of salt.

herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 03:28:05 AM »

I like the second and last one. Probably because of the G.

If you want to get rid of the cartoony look, you need to be consistent.
Make all the 'strokes' with the same width (the T is chubbier i think?).
Repeat the angles you have used unless it's necessary. Same for the rest of the details. If you make the top of A and E like that, why not G and T? Your G in the second one looks better because it keeps the slight italic of the A
Etc etc.
Lower the horizontal stroke of A, and make N a bit wider. Maybe get rid of the curve in N?

I'd use more orthogonal strokes and less decoration on the serifs but that's just personal preference

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 06:00:39 AM »

huzzah!  thanks for the advice, its a huge help everyone i'll try to apply them today
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »

Attempt #3:
bottom row is from the previous iteration just a different shadow

Not really sure, about these, there are things I like but I feel like it loses a bit of character.  But maybe they fit the game better?  I feel taintedly biased.

thoughts?  What do you think about the silver or "black"?
ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 07:04:18 PM »

Really like the top left and top right out of these titles Smiley

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »

Yeah, the top left really looks the best, I think. The colors seem subdued enough that you could put it on pretty much any background.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2014, 04:03:48 AM »

I like #1 & 2 from first row the best

as long as the gothic feel goes, I think pretty much every style from rows 1 & 2 are a step forward, while the ones from row 3 give me more of a "spooky" feel if you know what I mean

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 05:45:29 AM »

hard decision but I'd say the first two look the best to me.. still am not quite sure

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2014, 08:30:03 PM »

fanks for fe feedback
went with the first one, agree it looks nice on anything, but didn't go much further with the background than some silhouette concepts.

I did work on the cave tileset a bit and got a nice texture going, been thinking of ways to make it more cavey with this procedural generation - so I might had streams/waterfalls of water in the background unless it looks stupid.  I have no idea what to render for the backdrop still.  The foreground tiles are a wip

You can see the affinity menu's somewhat implemented on our tumblr.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:40:15 PM by keo » Logged
ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »

Kiss

ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »

We're almost done with shops!

Buying stuff:

Stealing stuff:

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2014, 02:58:56 AM »

Wonderful! Maybe you can add also vendors that trigger a trap door when the player tries to break in. Maybe there could be malicious vendors too, they attack after the player gave away the money or his weapon for repair Cheesy Some hints for such bad apples could be signs of cannibalism in the kitchen of the vendor Evil

I love the idea of "underworlds". I am missing a rat critter, maybe rat people too Smiley The idea of water filled caves is fascinating, maybe you can add some kind of Anglerfish-Mudskipper-crossover endboss Well, hello there!
And mushroom people and vampire crypts and and Addicted Gentleman
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:11:05 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2014, 03:50:37 AM »

This is looking really nice. What are you using to make it? How is the light system programmed?

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2014, 03:57:34 AM »

stealing stuff looks quite blunt ^^

qwertyhim513
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »

Loving how this game looks.   Gentleman But do show more of the combat. :3
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »

@qwerty sure there'll be plenty of gif combat soon

@anty yea that's more like burglary, but there are stealthier ways of stealing  Wink

@skomakar'n thanks! all I can say is that it's being made with c++ and sfml library.  I don't know how the lighting works maybe ekun can fill you in

@chromanoid Man how I would love to do a lot more with the shops at some point individualizing them and giving the shopkeepers personalities. 

There are a ton of things I want to add to the caves to make them really feel like a cave, but also tie a lot into the story progressively revealing more as you go through levels just in the visual design.

Right now levels all feel the same, but we're playing with several ideas including how the levels are laid out, changing up how the player transitions between each level.

Gonna be leave it pretty vague, but I'm excited about the things we discussed and are implementing.  This week's work is building the intro and character customization scene.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic