Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:09:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 238274 times)
Fork and Beard
Level 0

kappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2010, 12:19:12 PM »

What's up with the purple text, dude? D:

I just like to stand out.

st33d
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »

Cone shaped field of view (still limited to 100 actual pixels ahead of the monster to save on cpu) and invisibility giving you the edge is now up. And also I've got monsters running away (triggered when you're directly above them). Watch out, because they will leg it for a while and then change their mind - after they've climbed up a ladder usually!

I had a lot of persistant bugs with fleeing, so if the behaviour seems a bit off or could be improved, I'm all ears to advice. If you see them trying to climb all the way up your arse, please tell me - I've been trying to fix that for an hour and I'm not entirely sure I've beaten that bug.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:23:34 PM by st33d » Logged
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 16, 2010, 08:23:34 AM »

I like this, so awesome. I like the light footstep sounds. Also requires some awesome music in the background. Something that is simple, loops and starts to annoy in the long rong. Yum.

Definitely keep up the good work.

st33d
« Reply #203 on: March 16, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »

Thanks.

I'm sorely tempted to commission someone to do a chip tune rip off of the music in Diablo.

Cheesy
st33d
« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »

For historical purposes, here is Build 4.

But just ignore that link for now, because the latest build is right here.

As of writing this they are identical, but obviously one I intend to work on, the other will show me how far I've gotten.

What's new? Lots:

There are now 6 spells to choose from, including Undead and Polymorph (and they all start out unidentified - cast them to reveal their names). Undead will give you a second chance when killed if you eat it. But cast it on a monster and kill it and you will get a trusty servant. Polymorph is only cosmetic for now, but in later builds you will feel the horror of living in an orc's skin for real.

I had to give up on multiple minions in favour of one that could stand by you and double team, as well as walk through you and charge the enemy. When I had him solid and stuck behind you, he was pointless and sometimes he would stomp you. But seeing as that felt like a let down I went to a lot of extra work to let you equip him. Yes you can dress your skeletal buddy in all sorts of junk that you find. He will level up as you do, and you can repair him by inflicting undead on more monsters and killing them. That way he seems more like your trusted boney chum, than a hanger-on. Don't worry about losing him - he can teleport.

You'll notice a new redundant menu on items called "enchantments". This seemed the best way to let you see what powers an enchanted item has.

And the menu hand-holds you through what each option does now.

What else?

Oh, gods, cursed items, MAKE THEM GO AWAY THIS HAT WILL NOT COME OFF  Hand Shake Left Crazy Hand Shake Right

The first time you enchant an item, there is a small chance it may go wrong...

Now I get to leave magic alone for a while and work on traps, the overworld, stairs and levels. Wish me luck.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »

You would have to be insanely lucky to have it happen, but you should be able to telefrag enemies.

Also, never fix the enemy head on your head glitch. If you kick an enemy's head at a wall and make it land on you, you can carry it around, although it's very easy to lose it. You could even give some bonus for pulling it off.

Also I managed to make myself look like a skeleton and my helper look like me.

I found a weird bug that I can't explain well or reproduce, so I'll tell you a story wall of text about it.
I had cast polymorph on my invisibility, changing it into a viking helm. It also had light 1, and I wasn't wearing it. I decapitated an enemy and killed a few more with the head. The head missed a orc, who happened to be wearing a viking helm. He was standing under to a ladder, which was next to a wall, with the head behind him. I killed him, then squished the head against the wall. When I climbed up the ladder and grabbed the helm, It said 'picked up viking helm' multiple times. When I checked my inventory, it said I had multiple invisibilities. (Well, multiple blanks but whatever.) Equipping it equipped a viking helm. If I stood just off to the side of the ladder, I could hold down up to constantly pick up viking helms that show up as invis. My inventory currently shows
"508 x    ".
st33d
« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »

Cheers.

I've seen that bug before, but I've done so much work on the engine this weekend, I thought it might have gotten cleaned up in the overhaul.

I'll have to test a few theories over the week.
st33d
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2010, 05:05:10 AM »

Made some changes to Polymorph and reuploaded. I'm not removing the target from the inventory, changing it, and then replacing it. It seemed the best way to deal with getting the item to stack on other items (item stacks are really just an item with a counter next to them, so they cause all sorts of problems).

I'm hoping it will have caught that bug.

Got secret walls you can punch through to work last night! It looks like a normal wall until you push into it and see the rogue attacking it. No upload yet, I plan to upload  traps and secrets with a major overhaul of the level generator.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 23, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »

oh could you stick a door or exit in the next update?
it seems to be a pain to clear out a level and have to reset the whole thing which can make recreating bugs a pain if there no enemies to test on or loot to use.
oh here's one I cast undead on a orc, kill it and cast poly-morph on my minion and transform into a goblin well with this news I was trying to cast all types of stuff on it well I hit it with a poison rune and a error came up to which I ignored and reset the game some how this caused the minion to be trap in limbo since now every time I cast undead on something it keeps saying your undead is replenish or some thing close to it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:00:57 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2010, 12:28:18 PM »

Really cool so far. I love the shadow effects, are you casting rays for that effect?

I didn't read the whole thread, but I couldn't get out of the first dungeon. I probably missed something or else you didn't make an exit (which I would of missed since I didn't read the forum,  Corny Laugh).
st33d
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2010, 01:35:35 PM »

Nice catch Rumrusher. Thanks.

You weren't supposed to be able to cast spells on your minion, except via armour enchantments, the spells were supposed to fly past them. The error was to do with removing spell effects when a character dies, and also the minion data not being erased on reset. All fixed.

If you get an error, please post what it is. It may look like nonsense to you, but I'm likely to know what it is and I've put down forced errors for existing issues.

I've added a temporary "regenerate" option to the reset level option to respawn a level but retain the character. However, this may make bug tracking worse as more bugs may arise from resetting the level.

I can't put stairs in without a major overhaul of the game. Which is what I'm planning on next, but it's going to take quite a while to do. I've got quite a lot to do before I'm finished with this game.

The raycast is a shadowcast - check the first post and you can grab the code for yourself.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »

Nice catch Rumrusher. Thanks.

You weren't supposed to be able to cast spells on your minion, except via armour enchantments, the spells were supposed to fly past them. The error was to do with removing spell effects when a character dies, and also the minion data not being erased on reset. All fixed.

If you get an error, please post what it is. It may look like nonsense to you, but I'm likely to know what it is and I've put down forced errors for existing issues.

I've added a temporary "regenerate" option to the reset level option to respawn a level but retain the character. However, this may make bug tracking worse as more bugs may arise from resetting the level.

I can't put stairs in without a major overhaul of the game. Which is what I'm planning on next, but it's going to take quite a while to do. I've got quite a lot to do before I'm finished with this game.
wait what? so there no way now cast polymorph on the skele buddy to get a version of my self (through luck) dress her up in a nice top hat and staff and go raiding as the gentletwins that levels of miss awesome My Word!. I thought the bug was casting poison causing the creature to die yet not clear off. not the whole casting on the minion it self. I had fun and felt like a part of the typical rouge like to cast stuff on anything or to see what rune you have by using the skeleton as a test subject.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:00:24 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
st33d
« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »

That would mean he would sometimes get in the way.

The guinea pig idea isn't so bad though. I'll see about adding a "Feed minion" option to the runes. It will after all take some time to acquire a minion in the full game, and using him as a sounding board for unidentified runes when you've finally got him makes perfect sense.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2010, 01:14:47 PM »

On my first regenerate, everything was fine, except the enchanted items I had before didn't work anymore.
On my second regeneration, it just broke horribly. The background (walls, ladders) didn't scroll with the rest of the screen. (light, enemies, chests) and the circle of light didn't follow me., every time I moved out of the light, it generated a new light source. whenever it gebnerated light, it would synchronize the background. My minion had invis equipped, but it didn't work. (probably due to the background not working)
Enemies would be invisible until I killed them, then they're sprite would be suck on the object layer on that area, same with items.

I took a screen shot, but it's a bit big:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5315/brokenrouge.png
In relation to the background, the chest would be located just in the black above the highest ladder.

Took another picture:

Look at my broken map, and how there is still light in other places.
I'm actually only offset a little bit in this picture.
st33d
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2010, 01:25:45 PM »

I'm afraid I can't reproduce that behaviour.

The regenerate option is only a hack, so if it doesn't work, I'm not surprised. I don't want to spend time supporting it when I should be doing something worthwhile like getting stairs and levels into the game.

Shrug
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »

That would mean he would sometimes get in the way.

The guinea pig idea isn't so bad though. I'll see about adding a "Feed minion" option to the runes. It will after all take some time to acquire a minion in the full game, and using him as a sounding board for unidentified runes when you've finally got him makes perfect sense.
oh before the update I found out that hitting F5 'fixes' the problem and allow me to do a test out some cool ruins. so far undead ruin thrown at skele does nothing, heal ruin heals the skele, light ruin grants you a walking torch, poly changes, poison kills from last time, and tele poofs skele out of reach.

st33d
« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2010, 02:11:34 PM »

A bunch of fixes before the major mind-fuck that is putting stairs in. Click the "latest build" link in my post signature to try.

If you want to help with catching bugs, please install Flash debugger player:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html#fp10

A lot of rare existing issues I've put in forced errors in for that will print out what's going wrong to the debug player.

New:

Added "feed minion": Pro-tip - you can't undead the undead, but try polymorphing him first

Changed light, heal and poison - from weapons, eaten and thrown - to decaying effect: stops heal invincibility, stops poison from being deadly, stops permanent max light, armour effects remain the same (the effects from those on armour are pretty mild till later levels anyway). I didn't much like the "good for only this level" idea really, and using your minion as a gineau pig is safer now.

Added Bow item: It has a shoot option, set it up via the hot keys, yes I know the hot keys don't save between games (but they will, I promise). Yes the bow is shit. I'm expecting it to be pretty amazing when fully enchanted. Or give to your minion, he's not bad with it. Arrows passing through monsters is normal - it respects your attack rating.

Added some strange AI for the bow on monsters: they will try to keep between near and far and then shoot at you. They deliberately avoid pursuing you if above you. Why? Because they became the most deadly Goomba Stomp assassins without it. Seriously, they were amazingly good. Not a lot of fun for beginners - maybe champion monsters should do this, but not mooks. The current AI is a bit odd, but seems okay to play against. I don't want to meddle with it till later unless is blatantly broken - it caused me a lot of grief.

Fixed a bunch of other little issues and set up error tracking.

Am going to try to implement stairs and levels before doing a big update on the dungeon generator.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2010, 03:02:03 PM »

well this happen when I toss poly on a minion which turn skelly into a orc and then undead who which was under me when I got crush by some creature
edit: here's the logs
Code:
welcome rogue
goblin killed by rogue
picked up staff
picked up viking helm
picked up rune of ?
picked up rune of ?
light cast upon goblin
goblin killed by rogue
orc beat by crushing
picked up mace
picked up rune of ?
orc beat by rogue
picked up viking helm
orc beat by crushing
picked up sword
picked up skull
picked up rune of ?
rogue finished by crushing
you're dead, no level regeneration for you
welcome rogue
goblin killed by rogue
goblin killed by rogue
picked up flies
goblin killed by rogue
picked up rune of ?
picked up rune of ?
w: + flies enchanted with rune of heal
w: + flies enchanted with rune of poison
goblin decapitated by rogue
picked up staff
picked up fedora
goblin killed by crushing
picked up dagger
picked up rune of ?
picked up rune of ?
teleport cast upon goblin
picked up rune of ?
goblin killed by rogue
picked up sword
polymorph cast upon goblin
goblin killed by rogue
goblin killed by rogue
goblin killed by rogue
picked up mace
picked up staff
picked up
picked up
orc beat by rogue
welcome to level 2 rogue
picked up dagger
goblin killed by rogue
picked up hammer
picked up viking helm
picked up rune of poison
the w: + hammer is cursed!
w: - hammer enchanted with rune of poison
picked up rune of heal
goblin killed by crushing
picked up rune of ?
picked up
picked up rune of heal
picked up rune of poison
rogue eats rune of heal
rogue eats rune of heal
orc beat by crushing
picked up hammer
picked up blood
picked up rune of poison
goblin decapitated by rogue
picked up rune of teleport
picked up rune of ?
picked up rune of ?
orc beat by rogue
picked up fedora
welcome rogue
picked up rune of polymorph
picked up rune of ?
picked up rune of ?
picked up rune of ?
light cast upon orc
poison cast upon orc
undead cast upon orc
orc beat by rogue
undead minion summoned
picked up sword
picked up blood
orc beat by skeleton
orc beat by quickening
welcome to level 3 rogue
picked up sword
minion eats rune of polymorph
minion eats rune of light
minion eats rune of undead
picked up blood
minion eats rune of teleport
rogue finished by crushing
skeleton smashed by crushing
skeleton returns as undead
skeleton smashed by crushing
Code:
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::InventoryMenuList/unstack()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\InventoryMenuList.as:220]
at com.robotacid.engine::Minion/equip()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\engine\Minion.as:57]
at com.robotacid.engine::Minion/death()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\engine\Minion.as:109]
at com.robotacid.engine::Character/processActions()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\engine\Character.as:499]
at com.robotacid.engine::Character/main()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\engine\Character.as:300]
at com.robotacid.engine::Minion/main()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\engine\Minion.as:53]
at Game/main()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\Game.as:481]
other than that only regen once in the game

wait your first name is Aaron? because I don't have a file on my pc named that.

wait I think I know what cause this undead reviving skelly from a crushing blow while the enemy still on top causing the second form to be crush as well.
the thing is that this happens in a nano second.
Code:
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::InventoryMenuList/updateItem()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\InventoryMenuList.as:267]
at com.robotacid.engine::Minion/unequip()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\engine\Minion.as:67]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::GameMenu/select()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\GameMenu.as:196]
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::Menu/stepForward()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\Menu.as:253]
at com.robotacid.ui.menu::Menu/onEnterFrame()[C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron\My Documents\Flash\platform rogue\107\src\com\robotacid\ui\menu\Menu.as:384]
Code:
welcome rogue
picked up rune of undead
undead cast upon goblin
goblin killed by rogue
undead minion summoned
rogue tore out a goblin heart
picked up staff
m: + bow enchanted with rune of light
+ bow enchanted with rune of teleport
orc beat by skeleton
goblin killed by rogue
goblin killed by rogue
picked up staff
goblin killed by skeleton
picked up mace
picked up rune of poison
goblin killed by rogue
orc decapitated by rogue
welcome to level 4 rogue
picked up sword
picked up flies
picked up staff
picked up rune of undead
m: + bow enchanted with rune of undead
goblin killed by rogue
picked up rune of heal
picked up rune of polymorph
minion eats rune of heal
picked up rune of light
goblin decapitated by skeleton
picked up dagger
this happen when I gave skelly a poly that lead to her turning into a orc so I cast it again so I can equip weapons so far it led to skelly to turn back to her old undead self but this lead to the ability to feed her undead rune the thing that caused the report to happen is when I fed the second poly I messed around with the bow rune with a teleport and light which caused this to happen. other than that and regen/poly removes the visuals of the weapons even if the minion has it Equip I say the latest build is great.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:35:15 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:18 PM »

I've had the weird glitch I was talking about happen a few times without regenerating. I know it has to do with the minion, possibly invisibility. When it happens your minion won't appear to have anything equipped. Also, I think it might have something to do with invisibility.

Equipping a hat of light on your minion won't do anything, but feeding him a light rune will.
The minion can shoot the bow faster than you can.

A common goblin tactic is to climb up beside you on a ladder. If climb down, he climbs over you and stomps you, but if you keep going up, he gets caught on the ceiling and goes under you, where you can stomp him. It only ever helps the goblin if he's invisible. Haven't had this happen under a open roof, but he would probably just follow you up the ladder. Orcs do it too, and they climb slower, so they just climb under you no matter what.

Invis + bow seems a bit much because it doesn't alert enemies when you shoot them.
My +8 bow of poison didn't seem to poison anyone. I haven't tried it yet, so they might already, but light arrows should be lit up as they fly though the air, as well as lighting up enemies. This would also make the bow the only weapon worth using light on.
Polymorph should be able to enchant items as well as changing them, kind of like teleport. Weapons can change the enemies graphics on hit, hats will change yours periodically.

New rune idea: Rune of Bounce.

Hat: You bounce off the ground a bit after falling, and bounce off walls slightly when if you're in mid air. You would bounce off enemies you stomp a lot more than off the ground. You would usually only get one bounce on the ground unless you're at a really high effect level or you fall from really high. would have a minimum bounce hight off enemies allowing you to reach higher places off of a short stomp. You could bounce on enemies indefinitely if there was a constant supply of them. Causes knockback when you're hit.

Weapon: Causes knockback on hit, and gives enemy low level bounce effect. (be careful of them stomping you) Maybe it could happen every time and scale up like hats instead of a percent chance. Initial knockback would be more than the standard amount that the bounce effect causes. (in case of switching weapons or percent chance)

Orbs would inflict high level bounce effect and major knockback.
Eating it would give you high level bounce effect and send you flying backwards.

It would be both good and bad depending on whet you do. Would help goomba stomping for the affected, but would make them worse at melee combat.

Might be a bit confusing since I went back to it a few times to add stuff.
Curseman
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2010, 11:13:46 PM »

So are you doomed to be a goblin forever if you polymorph yourself?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic