Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 02:17:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Trembling Bridge [Adventure/Brawler]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Trembling Bridge [Adventure/Brawler]  (Read 8513 times)
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 04:35:54 PM »

3-27-2012
- Added a small framework for indoor lighting effects.
- Fixed a few minor cosmetic bugs.
- Started work on the backgrounds for the second section of the game.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »

3-29-2012
- Worked for 4 hours on art only for the power go out before I saved anything. Ugh.  No No NO
- Completed a few more various bits of scenery despite my coma-like state of depression (see above.)
- Fixed a big goofy bug.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 07:28:05 AM »

Waaagh! DESIGN QUESTION TIME  Waaagh!

This game has 2 small sections (essentially long boss fights) with combat. Most of the game plays like an adventure game, only with beat-em-up controls. You use the same button to look, talk, and interact with NPCs and objects as you use to attack.

Here's my quandry: Since combat is so sparse, I need a way to introduce the mechanic without it feeling awkward. The game is very story-centric, with the first half containing no fighting at all. I don't want the player to have the ability to attack when it serves no purpose. Takes you out of the experience and feels very gamey. At the same time, I don't want the combat element to come out of nowhere and slap the player in the face. Any ideas?

Dropsy!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 05:28:47 AM »

Since nobody replied, I resolved my own problem. SO THERE.   Facepalm

4-13-12
- Finishing background art.
- Starting animated backgrounds. Little environment enhancing things like stray cats, stuff blowing in the wind, etc.

Dropsy!

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »

Ah damn, I meant to reply to that. :p

Anyways, since that window of opportunity has passed, I'll just say that this is currently one of my most anticipated games. It's looking really original, and has some great art.  Grin

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »

Ah damn, I meant to reply to that. :p

Anyways, since that window of opportunity has passed, I'll just say that this is currently one of my most anticipated games. It's looking really original, and has some great art.  Grin

Thanks! :0)

I wanted to make sure that my ambitions with the generative music engine would pan out in MMF's Flash exporter, so I did this little experiment here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25731.0

4-24-2012
- Things have been slow lately due to the link up yonder, but I did manage to finish most of the remaining background art. Still a TON of animations to complete. Then it's on to the meaty bits.

Dropsy!

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »

5-8-2012

Decided to destroy my deadline. Started a new job, and realized that I would've sacrificed vision for timeliness had I stayed on target. Working on more art today as well.

Dropsy!

HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 06:53:26 PM »

I gotta post here so that I can follow this. The art is fantastic!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 07:24:37 PM »

Same. I'm liking the graphical style and the look of the game. Nice job.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »

Beat em up + quest game? Sounds great XD

Master of all trades.
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »

Gentleman

Dropsy!

jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »

Very happy to see this still being worked on.  Nice work!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 08:50:50 PM »

i like the pink bg in the first image Smiley

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »

It's been a while...was this abandoned?

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 05:41:04 AM »

Nahh, but a larger project has taken precedence. I released what I had of the soundtrack here: http://jtholen.bandcamp.com/album/when-ominous-red-sailing-stones-sleep-beneath-fire-rainbows

This game is something I've thought about for years - so it isn't dead - but I am revamping 80% of it. Don't expect it any time soon though. I'll bump the thread (or create a new one) when work begins again, which will probably be later next year.

Dropsy!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic