Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:22:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsForest Girl
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Forest Girl  (Read 1274 times)
okoniktek
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2012, 01:39:21 PM »

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and my first devlog. I'm relatively new to computer game design, although I have experience of audio and graphic design and used to do a fair amount of hobbyist coding when I was younger so have a good basis to start from.

I have had a few ideas floating around for my first big project before finally fixing my sights on one. So here it is...

-The WIP title is "Forest Girl" although that will probably change.
-It is a platform game set in an enchanted forest type setting with exploration and puzzle solving elements which follow a narrative.
-I have some (hopefully) unique gameplay ideas for interacting with the environment and want to have the music and visuals interact with the player as they progress through the game.

I don't want to talk too much about gameplay at this stage until I'm ready to start prototyping and testing. My focus at the moment is on narrative and concepts. You can check out some hand drawn concept art of plants and foliage here:

I'll do a write up of some of the basic narrative and some gameplay mechanic ideas in the near future. I have no timescale on this project yet until I see how I get on in the next couple of months. If you have any questions then please ask. I the meantime, feel free to follow me @EdOkonik on Twitter.

Twitter: @EdOkonik
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »

well the sketches sure look nice!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »

well the sketches sure look nice!

this. good luck with your prototyping!

play hydlide 2
okoniktek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »

OK, so I've been working on more concept art and also completed some level design for the first map. In the game, the player will control a character called "Ell", a female forest spirit. One of the core concepts of the game is 'interconnectedness', and the player will be able to interact closely with the plants and creatures in the forest environment. Here's my latest bit of concept art for the forest:

My aim for next week is to get a basic prototype up and running so I can start looking at how well the mechanics I have planned work in reality, and how easy they'll be to implement. I'm also going to start scanning in the concept art I've got already so I can use it in Photoshop to start building assets from them.

Twitter: @EdOkonik
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic